DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Default Sonor Force 3007/Select Force Kits

Does anyone recommend either of these kits? Use would be for people gigging and practicing at our college. They are more or less same line, just updated with different-style of lugs and finishes. Both have the mixture of Canadian maple and Chinese maple.

Are there any flaws or general dislikes or cautions about this Sonor kit?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Sonor Force 3007/Select Force Kits

Hi- I had a 3007 kit for a short while. I had to get the edges redone because they were quite poorly done. They were redone by a pro and he suggested that all the 3007 kits were like that because all my drums seemed to have the exact same defective edges. I think youd be better off with the select force. They may have better QC now....Sonor are definitely great drums though!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM

I use a Force 3007 kit as my main gigging kit and so far it's held up well. I will tell you my opinion of the good and bad based on my ongoing experiences with the drums. First, the good;
1.) Great finishes - I have the Autumn Fade and it is beautiful IMO
2.) Nice maple shells - bearing edges were perfect with no defects (at least mine were)
3.) Tom mounting system is sturdy and doesn't seem to choke the sound

Now for the bad;
1.) Sonor cut costs by using thin hoops (1.6mm maybe)?
2.) Another cost saving evident in the lugs and its' plating

Now, I thought that only the Force 3007 is a mix of Chinese maple and North American maple whereas the Select Force is 100% North American Maple? How much a difference in sound does that make? I would wager not much to most ears. I've used pinstripes, coated Remo and Evans G1/G2s, and they all sounded nice on the kit. Overall, it's a great kit for the money in the higher intermediate/ lower pro level of drums. Are there better kits for the money? Probably, but these do the job every weekend after weekend for me and they sound nice. Hope that helps!

I also want to add that the Select Force has a better lug design IMO.

Last edited by SAINTDRUMS; 11-21-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINTDRUMS View Post
I use a Force 3007 kit as my main gigging kit and so far it's held up well. I will tell you my opinion of the good and bad based on my ongoing experiences with the drums. First, the good;
1.) Great finishes - I have the Autumn Fade and it is beautiful IMO
2.) Nice maple shells - bearing edges were perfect with no defects (at least mine were)
3.) Tom mounting system is sturdy and doesn't seem to choke the sound

Now for the bad;
1.) Sonor cut costs by using thin hoops (1.3mm maybe)?
2.) Another cost saving evident in the lugs and its' plating

Now, I thought that only the Force 3007 is a mix of Chinese maple and North American maple whereas the Select Force is 100% North American Maple? How much a difference in sound does that make? I would wager not much to most ears. I've used pinstripes, coated Remo and Evans G1/G2s, and they all sounded nice on the kit. Overall, it's a great kit for the money in the higher intermediate/ lower pro level of drums. Are there better kits for the money? Probably, but these do the job every weekend after weekend for me and they sound nice. Hope that helps!

I also want to add that the Select Force has a better lug design IMO.

Yeah I agree about the hoops. They did not project well and I think it was probably because of that.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Wrote this in my thread displaying my 3007 kit. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=105945

Quote:
When I bought this kit, I honestly expected more out of the build quality, the lugs on the 8" for instance are quite unevenly mounted. The hoop only works in one way so to speak, in order to get the holes on the hoop and the lugs to match. And this... Sigh. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=95498

Acceptable? Not really. Well, the drum sounds great and that's what matters.

In addition, I've had to run a sand paper on the snare to get it even, there were always these two lug pairs that were lower. After that fix, it sounds great, no problem with tuning. Which brings me to the 12", which has been notoriously hard to tune, but for some reason it only sounds bad when it's mounted close to the 10" as they resonate with each other. I tune them a 4th apart, should be enough I assume? Same problem when tuned a 5th apart though. Very confusing... But with this current setup it is no problem, and it's nice to have a tom to the left anyway. Some lugs on the bassdrum are also unevenly mounted, but nothing bad enough to affect the sound.

Despite these flaws, the kit sounds really nice and I'm overall content.