DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM

Default Which Drums Maintain Their Value Best?

When looking at the drums that are currently on the market today (October 2013), what make and model of drums would hold their value best?
Personally, I own a 2012 Gretsch USA Custom with the new round badge design. Silver Sparkle wrap. I feel these will hold their value due to the timeless finish and design.
What are your thoughts?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which Drums Maintain Thier Value Best?

Between Gretsch and Ludwig, I'd say. Simply because the design hasn't changed in decades. Looking at eBay you'd think Rogers hold their value the best from the prices being asked, though. But they died in the 80s.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

The sad fact of the matter is, most drums don't hold value. Most "collector drums" are very rare due to the passing of time, mixed with manufacturing techniques not currently widely used and smaller runs per year. Old vintage Ludwigs, Gretschs, Slingerlands, etc. from the 3-ply days are typically most sought after in the current vintage market, all the more so if never modified.

Your drums may hold their value if in a limited edition and kept flawlessly for a long number of years. Otherwise, I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. Even twenty years will probably only break you even.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 AM
britchops

I've got a Yamaha Maple Custom Kit that I feel keeps its value well.

TJ

www.britchops.co.uk
Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 AM

It's an interesting discussion. Most of my friends who play salivate all over DW. I like DWs. They sound killer. But I also feel the same way about my Gretsch USAs. I also feel most DWs are so highly customized that over time, the value would decrease. For long term value, I think the basics work. A basic setup and basic finish, be it wrap or lacquer. And obviously good care of the instrument.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

It is often times hard to determine what real value is. Some drums hold value well. For example, one would think that Ludwig Acros and LM-400s are average in value for older drums, based on how many were made. If you consider that a 30 + year old drum sells for $100 - $125, it might seem like it is not worth much, since new ones are almost $400. but, when you consider what that drum cost when it was NEW, and what that same drum sells for today, it has held its value very well! It is not reasonable to expect 40+ year old drums to be anywhere near what a new one cost, unless it is a special edition or very few made.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Drums that maintain their value the best? Simple: used drums! Especially when you buy them for less than they typically sell for used.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Drums that maintain their value the best? Simple: used drums! Especially when you buy them for less than they typically sell for used.
Hey, that's what I was gonna say. You beat me to the punch! +1
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which Drums Maintain Their Value Best?

Gretsch and Ludwig USA. Though I'd buy used 1950/60s drums from these two companies before buying anything new. Proven track record. They'll always hold their value.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Today's drums? Who can say. Is it your prime motivation for buying a kit or just a rhetorical question?

All you can hope is that you buy a kit that is not going to be popular for long and most of them get destroyed over the next few years. You never play yours, keep it in mint condition, and down the line they become popular with collectors. Good luck.

But I suspect that, like me, you bought a kit to play and gig and it will get the usual wear and tear of life on the road. Enjoy whatever kit you have, and if you love it the way I love mine you would not want to sell it in the future anyway.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 PM

drums that are made from fairly rare woods e.g. tama starclassic BUBINGA as Bubinga wood is quite rare and only grows in africa where two brothers cut the trees down and sell on to the drum companies, the two brothers had a fall out so now bubinga drums are getting rarer.

this is what the guy in pmt told me anyway!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Much of the stuff made in the USA in the postwar decades of the 50's and 60's is holding
it's value, regardless of what it is. That was a very special time for manufacturing here which no longer exists and for many it is "the good old days". I like buying used too.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

I have an old MIJ kit with blue sparkle wrap. My parents paid about $204 for it back in 1971. I bet it's still worth as much. :)
Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
I have an old MIJ kit with blue sparkle wrap. My parents paid about $204 for it back in 1971. I bet it's still worth as much. :)
Good point, actually. MIJ collectors are out there. I wouldn't necessarily want to go all Bonzo on an MIJ kit but they are collectable despite their less than desirable construction..
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

I can tell you one thing. Drums of oil aren't losing any value any time soon.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

Good point, actually. MIJ collectors are out there. I wouldn't necessarily want to go all Bonzo on an MIJ kit but they are collectable despite their less than desirable construction..

I was kinda joking, but I've noticed that on eBay and Craigslist. Good to decent condition MIJ kits are fetching a nice pricetag. The more elaborate the wrap, the better. Mine is blue sparkle that is surprisingly in good condition. I've managed to keep mine for sentimental reasons, but every once in a while I get it out. The things a blast to play on and with good heads the drums sound fine.