DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Considering a Yamaha Oak Custom set - Tell me everything you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
If you need an 8'' musashi black tom as new, let me know.

Because I'm a gear whore, it's temping to add more toms to the Oak Custom kit. But in reality, I probably wouldn't use them much. A 3 up and 1 down setup on the Oak Custom kit would be a cool thing, though. LOL
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Considering a Yamaha Oak Custom set - Tell me everything you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Looking great Chris. The added tom and floor tom to the Live Oaks = great idea. Now you can use them in many configurations. I also like the black Logo head on that kit better than the white. I love the smooth white reso somtimes, but not here.
The Oak Customs also looking great, what a great gigging kit.

Wait...listen...what's that I hear? Maple Custo.....no, can't be....hahaha

Neal
Thanks Neal. I like white reso bass drum heads ALOT and I didn't like the new logo style much at first, but it's growing on me. :)

Those Maple Customs are still at $1,399. I keep waiting for it to drop to a ridiculously low level, but I'm still fighting the urge to buy. ha ha
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGH View Post
Right this second? Now there is a telling statement, spoken like a real DW'er. Sounds like something else is in the works...

Beautiful kits!
LOL! I don't have anything else in the works right this second (ha), but give me a few days, weeks, months and I will. LOL

It's a sickness, but a fun one!

Thanks man.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

For anyone considering I have an 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 22 in Honey Amber for sale.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post

....Those Maple Customs are still at $1,399. I keep waiting for it to drop to a ridiculously low level, but I'm still fighting the urge to buy. ha ha

Hey Sarge - just a 'heads up' - check the price on that kit again.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
LOL! I don't have anything else in the works right this second (ha), but give me a few days, weeks, months and I will. LOL

It's a sickness, but a fun one!

Thanks man.
We all have the same illness. Its ridiculous-I want to buy every drum kit, no joke. Actually, I have this goal of having one of every major Yamaha Japanese kit. I have RC, Oak, old Tours. I just need BCAS and MCAS, maybe Beech. I used to have a set of Maple Customs, but regardless of the hype, I liked them except for the 10 and 12 toms, which ruined them for me.

Quote:
Thanks Neal. I like white reso bass drum heads ALOT and I didn't like the new logo style much at first, but it's growing on me. :)

Those Maple Customs are still at $1,399. I keep waiting for it to drop to a ridiculously low level, but I'm still fighting the urge to buy. ha ha
Are you guys talking about the natural kit in GC? Its $1199 now ;)
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 12-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

Morgan Agren posted this on facebook;

Apparently the owner has another wall full of snares.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post

Ok, that guy wins...................
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Hey Sarge - just a 'heads up' - check the price on that kit again.
Ha ha! Thanks man. I knew theyd mark it down soon. Im happy at the moment with what I have. ;)
Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

This must be an artist. All the custom work....

And he must have has all the snares there are ever made...
Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Well apparently it's the biggest Yamaha collection in the world and its kept in a house in London.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ha ha! Thanks man. I knew theyd mark it down soon. Im happy at the moment with what I have. ;)
I'd be happy with those too.
Hopefully, whoever gets the good deal on those Maples will be happy with them too.

That'd probably make a good thread - are you happy with what you've got for drums - or still looking.
Goes in cycles for most people I think.
Pretty rare to stay stable for a long, extended period of time, I think.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I'd be happy with those too.
Hopefully, whoever gets the good deal on those Maples will be happy with them too.

That'd probably make a good thread - are you happy with what you've got for drums - or still looking.
Goes in cycles for most people I think.
Pretty rare to stay stable for a long, extended period of time, I think.
I've been playing RC's since 1982. 'I think' that means I'm happy with them...heck yes, I'm happy with them. Do I still want other kits? Heck yes, I still want other kits.

Question, do you guys ever do this? At the end of the day, go off to your drum room and just stare at your kits for an hour or so?
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been playing RC's since 1982. 'I think' that means I'm happy with them...heck yes, I'm happy with them. Do I still want other kits? Heck yes, I still want other kits.

Question, do you guys ever do this? At the end of the day, go off to your drum room and just stare at your kits for an hour or so?
I have been known to stare at them for 5-10 minutes for sure. :)
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post

Aldridge?
If not, who?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

I made a video this evening of the Live Custom set with the newly added 10" and 14" toms. This is forum cross-pollinating, but...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=112847
Old 12-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

finally got a chance to play the oak customs.

they sound good just loud. especially the kick.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Ha ha, you guys won't believe the email I got today. I first got an email from a GC manager from the store where I got the Yamaha Oak Custom set for $699 on clearance saying he hoped I was enjoying it and he had some questions about my shopping experience.

I emailed him back and said I was enjoying the kit. Then I get this reply:

-----

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately we had a bit of a mix up when XXXX rang you out. He accidentally only charged you for the bass drum. He did not include the 3 toms in the price of the drum kit.

Itís an unfortunate circumstance but we need to receive payment on the toms. Can you come up here at your earliest convenience and pay for the toms? You did nothing wrong in this situation. It was a simple mistake and we appreciate your understanding.

Please contact me at 314-XXX-XXXX or you can email me back.

Again, we appreciate your business and hope we can resolve this matter quickly.
Thank you

-----

Is anyone else shocked?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ha ha, you guys won't believe the email I got today. I first got an email from a GC manager from the store where I got the Yamaha Oak Custom set for $699 on clearance saying he hoped I was enjoying it and he had some questions about my shopping experience.

I emailed him back and said I was enjoying the kit. Then I get this reply:

-----

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately we had a bit of a mix up when XXXX rang you out. He accidentally only charged you for the bass drum. He did not include the 3 toms in the price of the drum kit.

Itís an unfortunate circumstance but we need to receive payment on the toms. Can you come up here at your earliest convenience and pay for the toms? You did nothing wrong in this situation. It was a simple mistake and we appreciate your understanding.

Please contact me at 314-XXX-XXXX or you can email me back.

Again, we appreciate your business and hope we can resolve this matter quickly.
Thank you

-----

Is anyone else shocked?
WOW, I gotta say this is totally weak on their part and maybe illegal??? I mean its totally their doing. How can they possibly charge you anything additional. You paid the price they quoted to you and you left with the drums, plain and simple. Imagine if business was conducted in this way!! Any store would be able to contact you and try to extort more cash from a buyer. So what is the ultimate threat? Are they going to charge your credit card or did you pay with some other method? They should have the employee pay the difference, if they need more dough...
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-09-2014, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
WOW, I gotta say this is totally weak on their part and maybe illegal??? I mean its totally their doing. How can they possibly charge you anything additional. You paid the price they quoted to you and you left with the drums, plain and simple. Imagine if business was conducted in this way!! Any store would be able to contact you and try to extort more cash from a buyer. So what is the ultimate threat? Are they going to charge your credit card or did you pay with some other method? They should have the employee pay the difference, if they need more dough...
I can't believe they emailed me with that. They are INSANE if they think I'll go back and pay! Ridiculous!!! My guess is they talked about and said it was worth a try. But no.

I'm not even going to reply. If they email again, I will give them a verbal raping. LOL
Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 AM
Gold Member

Its extortion! I say extortion, darn it!!

Keep an eye on your credit card bill, if that's what you used!
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Its extortion! I say extortion, darn it!!

Keep an eye on your credit card bill, if that's what you used!
I did pay with a credit card and I'll keep an eye on it for sure. I can't imagine it being legal for them to charge me more after the fact, but you never know what they may try.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm curious what they would do if you responded with the following:

You tell them you can't afford to purchase the toms and that you're going to return the entire kit for a full refund. When they agree to this you say "...oh and by the way, the kit is really beat to hell."
Old 01-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedrummer View Post
I'm curious what they would do if you responded with the following:

You tell them you can't afford to purchase the toms and that you're going to return the entire kit for a full refund. When they agree to this you say "...oh and by the way, the kit is really beat to hell."
Ha ha! I like it. I've come up with several replies similar to what you're saying, but in the end, I think I'll take the high road and not even reply.

If he sends me another email without me replying, it's a whole other ball of wax IMO and I'll let him know exactly what I think.

The tag on the drumset said $749, so apparently that was their first mistake. Then when they rang it up, it came up at $699. That was their second mistake.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Just as a reference, my local GC has the same kit on clearance for $999. Assuming your GC is comparable, they'd want you to come up with another $300 for the toms.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

I agree that you should not respond at all. This is their doing. I think they are fishing for the money, hoping that you will come in and pay. If they end up charging your credit card, then you'll have to deal with it. I don't know what else they could possibly do. I don't think they want the drums back. I've seen used Oak 4 piece sell on GC for as little as $799. The kit is now used. I don't think they want it back.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

What does your receipt say?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. Unbelievable. Watch your credit card for sure.
Makes me wonder why they would bother...they've just lost you as a customer for life now.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

I'm not an attorney but I would believe that an employer should be responsible for its employees' mistakes.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
I'm not an attorney but I would believe that an employer should be responsible for its employees' mistakes.
100% correct. This whole thing is nuts. Ignore it and let them come to you. I mean what are they going to say, 'you stole them?' Of course they can't say that. Here's how business works:

-the store advertises a price
-customer agrees to pay that price
-customer pays, store accepts the payment
-store delivers goods to the customer - 'contract' is executed and fulfilled by both parties
-customer leaves with the goods

That's it. The transaction is complete. Its not rent to own, or pay as you go or anything like that. The transaction has been completed on the terms set forth by the store. Therefore, end of story, case closed, done deal. I don't think there is any legal way they can ask for more money and make it stick.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 AM

I agree there is absolutely no way in a legal sense that they can enforce you to make the extra payment.
They advertised the price for their product, you agreed to fulfill your obligation as the customer by paying the advertised price at the time of transaction as you were made aware of, transaction is completed and now the product is rightfully & legally yours, 100%. You do not owe the seller a cent more in the context of this transaction.

I am not a lawyer or attorney but that's how I see it.
They even said it themselves didnt they "you did nothing wrong in this situation" - well then WHY do they expect YOU to pay for their simple mistake????

They certainly have lost you there as a customer. For the sake of extra $200-300 they lost you & they made themselves look retarded on this forum for all of us drummers to see.
It's just plain stupid.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art5 View Post
They even said it themselves didnt they "you did nothing wrong in this situation" - well then WHY do they expect YOU to pay for their simple mistake????
Excellent point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Very interesting thread.Im a Yamaha guy and the Oaks Are always on my radar.Thats crazy that they want more loot cause they screwed up.Feel bad for the guy who made the bone head sale. If He is still there he more than likely going to have to loose some commission on future sales,but thats not your problem. By the way.My Local GC NEVER Has any Yamahas!!! Not even the Stage kits WTF........
Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't get to check the receipt last night, but I'm guessing it probably says it's for the bass drum only. I didn't notice that, but I will admit that when I got the automated "thank you for your purchase" email weeks later, it said bass drum.

I also know the tag on the shelf with the drums said $749 for the kit. I'm sure that didn't say bass drum or I would've noticed it.

There was definitely no "sneakiness" on my part. I knew i was getting a killer deal, but I didn't think it was mislabeled or anything.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I agree with everyone else. No way they can actually force me to pay more.

kinda sucks, because I'm afraid they'll know who I am if/when I go back there and that's kinda weird feeling. Lol
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-customs View Post
Very interesting thread.Im a Yamaha guy and the Oaks Are always on my radar.Thats crazy that they want more loot cause they screwed up.Feel bad for the guy who made the bone head sale. If He is still there he more than likely going to have to loose some commission on future sales,but thats not your problem. By the way.My Local GC NEVER Has any Yamahas!!! Not even the Stage kits WTF........
That's because Yamaha as we've known them for so many years is over. This doesn't mean you won't find Yamaha drums but all the much loved series that were built by Sakae are going extinct. No more Recording Customs seems like a strange thing. Yamaha is apparently going to continue making drums but they will not be quite the same. Kinda a shame.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Marimba View Post
That's because Yamaha as we've known them for so many years is over. This doesn't mean you won't find Yamaha drums but all the much loved series that were built by Sakae are going extinct. No more Recording Customs seems like a strange thing. Yamaha is apparently going to continue making drums but they will not be quite the same. Kinda a shame.
Dont mean to hijack the thread........Sure does suk,Does that mean they are messing with perfection as i see it???? Or going to price themselves out of most guys that have familys and OTHER bills......I Dont get it....
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Marimba View Post
I really hope this would not mean we will stop having quality drums from Yamaha.
My current kit is DW but I have always admired Yamaha's products especially their hardware - to me Yamaha makes the best hardware, maybe DW at close second.

I havent given up on my dream of owning a professional Yamaha set one day, to own either the Recording Custom or Maple Absolute.....well I guess I have to say byebye to RC now
Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

Guys, this is old news. Everyone here knows Yamaha is now doing the China thing. All reports are positive. Are some of the old lines dead? Yes, that will be the case. NAMM is coming soon, and we should know about the new Absolutes in a couple of weeks. Yes, its sad if you are a Yammie fan. But, accept it, its done. I'm collecting all of the Japanese kits I can afford. That's my way of dealing with it. I had so many RC's, I've sold most of them off to buy other kits-still have 1 nice RC kit that I'll never sell. I'm drawn to it like a magnet.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by art5 View Post
I really hope this would not mean we will stop having quality drums from Yamaha.
My current kit is DW but I have always admired Yamaha's products especially their hardware - to me Yamaha makes the best hardware, maybe DW at close second.

I havent given up on my dream of owning a professional Yamaha set one day, to own either the Recording Custom or Maple Absolute.....well I guess I have to say byebye to RC now
Want an RC kit? Check out this one. Nice Cherrywood kit. I'm not the seller, but nice price for 6 pc. Looks like good condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't get to check the receipt last night, but I'm guessing it probably says it's for the bass drum only. I didn't notice that, but I will admit that when I got the automated "thank you for your purchase" email weeks later, it said bass drum.

I also know the tag on the shelf with the drums said $749 for the kit. I'm sure that didn't say bass drum or I would've noticed it.

There was definitely no "sneakiness" on my part. I knew i was getting a killer deal, but I didn't think it was mislabeled or anything.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I agree with everyone else. No way they can actually force me to pay more.

kinda sucks, because I'm afraid they'll know who I am if/when I go back there and that's kinda weird feeling. Lol
I charged the set on the Guitar Center credit card I opened a while back to take advantage of a certain percentage off of purchases. I keep a low balance on it, though, and it's paid off. I actually just now got off the phone with them and closed the GC Credit Card account. he he

I'm really fighting the urge to reply to them. Not in a nasty way, but just pointing out that they screwed up a few times and stuff.