DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ist gig done...underwhelming

Ultimately Mary, you really did your bit. Your playing is solid and consistent and you're giving the band space to work around - that's what your job is. That really shows.

So maybe you can feel a little disappointed in the guitar player but in no way should you be disappointed in yourself. You played, you stood up to be counted and you did your job well.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

I've been playing drums for 30 years and I still play the occasional gig in a sh** dive bar and the band has a clunker now and then. For a first gig, what you've done here is terrific. Appreciate the good that came out of it and focus on improving the areas that need improvement.

All in all, you should feel good about this.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 AM

Honestly I think that was actually pretty well. You are solid as a rock! That tempo wasn't wavering and super steady. I love the cowbell! Push it was really well played, simple, groovey, solid. Your hard work is showing tremendously.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Mary, I'm really favorably impressed by the pieces you posted here! I know you said they were some of the better songs, but they certainly show the hard work that you've put into this project. By the way you talked, I thought the band was really going to suck, to be honest, but they have some potential, I think. They sounded way better than I expected.

Most importantly, you did awesome! You were very steady and showed the good taste to focus on the beat and not try to pull off fills you weren't ready for. I cannot express how great I think that is! I wish many other drummers I hear in local bars would learn the same thing.

Rock on, Mary! Whether with this band or another, you are off to a great start, IMO.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

I am in awe- I think the nerves would be the biggest issue and by all accounts you nailed this Mary. You really have nothing to worry about and the into/ending stuff is to be expected with any new group. I think more experience will allow you to relax about this and do it more naturally without thought.

Very impressed.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

Mary,

In my gigging experience things are never really as good or as bad as we sometimes think they are. Sometimes the band can be hitting on all cylinders and not even get polite applause from the audience. Sometimes I feel that I really stunk up the place and people tell me how awesome we were. Go figure.

The good:

1. The sound. It was pretty well balanced. The lead singer has a good voice and it wasn't buried by the other instruments. The drums sounded good, especially the bass drum. (gotta love them Stage Customs) Were your drums being miced?

2. The time. It was rock solid. Not a lot of fills, but the songs on the videos didn't call for a lot of fills. I wold guess that most bandleaders value solid timekeeping over lots of fills and overplaying any day.

"3. The cowbell. Like Christopher Walken said: "I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell."

The bad:

1. The TV. Next time talk to the owner/manager about turning the TV off while you are performing.

2. The lights. Or lack thereof. You don't need an elaborate, computer-controlled light show, but you need to be seen. I own a light system with par cans and dimmer packs, but I rigged up a system with one regular spotlight on each side of the staqe that I put on an old set of speaker stands. They stay on all the time and don't flash on and off or anything, but they serve their purpose of letting us be seen. About half the time I go with the low-rent system.

As has been mentioned before, I think the band has potential. Since you were asked back I would assume there were no train wrecks. (at least no patently obvious ones) My opinion is that playing to a live audience in a less than ideal situation beats playing in the garage. The more you play out the more you can network with other musicians and who knows, someone might come along with the offer of a better gig.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I've been playing drums for 30 years and I still play the occasional gig in a sh** dive bar and the band has a clunker now and then. For a first gig, what you've done here is terrific.
The truth. Yesterday we played out and the keys player completely botched the piano intro to Maybe I'm Amazed, "accompanying" (ie. distracting) the vocals before the band was to come in. So our singer sang "Maybe I'm amazed if we can finish this song" ... everyone laughed and a bummer turned to a positive. A lot of gigging involves salvage operations of varying degrees.

Agree with prior comments about Mary "Rock Solid" O.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats. You held up, got through it and take the positives away that you can.
Enjoy the journey of deciding what's next.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the video. I used to play at an open mic back in Washington Whenever it started, they would always turn off the TV or music. Weird that they didn't here.
A few years ago I met the genius who invented this device: https://www.tvbgone.com/

Basically a handheld remote that does nothing but send power-off codes for every known TV and monitor. Every bar band should own one.

Anyway, congratulations on the first gig, Mary! I've been following this drama since you posted that you were going to have a first gig. I have yet to play my first live set as a drummer, but my first live gig on bass was about 30 years ago.

You got the first one out of the way, and not only that, the venue asked you back! Many have done worse.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
I think part of my underwhelming feelings last night stemmed from a couple of things. The venue was not as nice as I had been led to believe (the boyfriend was actually a little concerned about me going back and playing there again for that reason) and honestly I was feeling a little down because only one person (friend) had come out to see me play for the first time. I was hoping for some support and had been promised by many people they would be there and was disappointed when basically no one showed up. I know.. people have lives but it just made the whole experience less special than I had hoped it would be.
I wanted to share the experience with people I knew.
If I had a $1/1 for every one who said we'll be there and then didn't come, I'd be able to retire and never play again! People's intentions (and sometimes their inability to say, "never in a million years am I coming to see your crappy little band") will always disapoint you. My kids would come every time if they could and my wofe and her mates come when they can, a few of the venues we play in regularly we now attract a crowd that comes purely to see us and really that's all that matters.

If the first gig I ever played (thankfully now lost to posterity) was this good, I might retire and rest on my laurels!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiainw View Post
If I had a $1/1 for every one who said we'll be there and then didn't come, I'd be able to retire and never play again! People's intentions (and sometimes their inability to say, "never in a million years am I coming to see your crappy little band") will always disapoint you. My kids would come every time if they could and my wofe and her mates come when they can, a few of the venues we play in regularly we now attract a crowd that comes purely to see us and really that's all that matters.

If the first gig I ever played (thankfully now lost to posterity) was this good, I might retire and rest on my laurels!
God this is absolutely 100% true Mary.
Stuff which we're massively interested in, we expect others to be so, even if just as friends and for a bit of support.
Unfortunately they probably get near the time and just think "can't be mithered".
I think practically every gig I've ever done my work colleagues all say "we'll come see you"....still waiting. Apart from one, who follows and really enjoys.

Well done by the way on doing your first gig...sounds like it went better than my first ever gig (and plenty since) :-)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

Great job! Don't be too hard on yourself for your first gig. Even after tons of gigs we do like a quick review of what to work on but don't get too hung up on it. When you get busy and play a few nights or almost every night during the week you won't have time to dwell.

Have fun, take notes on what you think can go better, use the recordings as a tool to see what you can change up, and enjoy yourself! Getting invited back means you did something right. Also the fact you are now out there will mean you can start to network to find other bands looking for a drummer.
Session Work
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
The Old Hyde

Tried to warn you...
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats. Please post the set list. I'm interested in seeing if you tackled Barracuda as previously discussed (or whatever Heart song that was..).
Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

nice job, Mary - you gotta ditch that band, tho

F
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM

Well done Mary - for a first gig, that's killer... I've heard much worse from bands that have been playing the bar circuit for years. YOU sounded great, as everyone's already said... let me just add to the heaping of praise -- Really solid first outing for you, you stayed in your comfort zone and didn't overplay, timing was great...

It sucks that nobody came out to support you - but that happens more often than not. You hear "Can't wait to come see you guys this weekend... " on Thursday and then "Oh sorry, something came up" on Monday! Don't fret - if you decide to stick with this (or some other band), you'll slowly build a following and you'll see familiar faces at every gig (some of them, you might eventually WISH would stay home!)

There's definitely potential there with that unit -- should they choose to put some work into it... you could be just the instigator they need!

Whatever you choose to do with this outfit - stay confident in the fact that you're a talented drummer and you're prepared to hang with anybody... AND it's only going to get better as you move on.

Well played!
Mike

Oh yea -- in the future, get them to turn off any TV's behind/above the band... if they won't - maybe think twice about returning.

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvmGRdDrzCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPMZkggUj5k

Okay here's some audio of a couple of our songs last night. Video is nonexistent so you can't see me and audio is pretty crappy with lots of bar background noise but maybe you'll get the idea. I was "lucky" enuf to be seated directly under the big tv screen...lol. Made for an intersting night. Not to mention the drunk guy who was talking to all three of us during almost every song....lol. Definitely got some experience under my belt.

I feel better after listening to a couple of these. Let me know what you think if you can tell anything from the poor quality. Hopefully somebody got some better video. If not, I've got well over an hour of this stuff to go thru! Ugh.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Mary, my favorite rule for playing out is:

If your options as a drummer for the night are simple and solid, or flashy and sloppy... The choice should not be difficult.

Sounded to me like you get that concept! I was kinda surprised by the vocals, too... Good voice. Not perfect delivery, but nice and deep and smooth female vox.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Congrats. Please post the set list. I'm interested in seeing if you tackled Barracuda as previously discussed (or whatever Heart song that was..).
Set 1:
Say You Love Me
Brown Eyed Girl
Ho Hey
Drift Away
No One Else on Earth (Wynona Judd)
Free Falling
Bad Moon Rising
Time After Time]
Midnight Rider
Because The Night (10,000 maniacs version)
Barracuda (I did not play on this one...just couldn't get it down, they did it accoustically)
Mercy (Duff)
Perfect (Pink)
Me & Bobby McGee

SET 2:
Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
What's Up (4 non-blondes)
Redneck Woman
Down on the Corner
Rolling in the Deep
I Hate Myself for Loving You
Pontoon
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
All Summer Long
Better Dig 2
Hella Good (No Doubt)
You Oughta Know
Give Me One Reason
Kerosene
Brass in Pocket
Home Sweet Home

Set 3
You're So Vain
Roam
Mama's Broken Heart
Proud Mary
Push It
Bitch
Something to Talk About
Play that Funky Music
Walking on Sunshine
Some Kind of Wonderful
Hot & Cold (Katy Perry)
Night Moves

Extra Songs we did because we needed to fill some time:
Edge of Seventeen (I had never played this one and had to fake it...did okay)
Gunpowder and Lead
Bette Davis Eyes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Great start Mary!!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting and long set list for your first gig but great. Love the variety.

Bette Davis Eyes ...awesome. Don't see that one played very often if at all. Written by Jackie DeShannon. #1 for nine weeks back in the day. The Solid Gold Dancers loved that one :)
Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you did a good job. Welcome to the world of gigs, where anything can happen and usually does!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:43 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I agree with everything that's been said, can't add much. Great job Mar. I've heard A LOT worse bands than yours. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, you did not sound like an amateur in any way shape or form. You are no longer an amateur. Always a student but no longer an amateur.

A lot of places I play keep the TV on. I think if you turn it off without asking you might p!$$ off the owner. I second the lights thing too.

I'll tell you what Mary Oh! I thought you did terrific. The last time I saw you play it was to a CD. This is a whole nother ballgame. I love how you say that the one thing you think you're good at is time. That puts you ahead of a major portion of the crowd. It's huge. I was away for the weekend, and while away, I got the chance to see 2 different bands. We were at a couples resort in the Pocono Mountains and they have professional shows there every night of the week.

Your time and temperature uh tempo was way better than the one drummer I saw, and much more like the 2nd drummer I saw, who had friggin beautiful time. Rock steady and felt great.

I hope you feel good that you really stepped up and learned all those tunes. You did really good. You're a hard worker with a good work ethic and any band that has you will be the better for it. YOU held things together up there with your superior clock skills. As far as should you stay or should you go....

I think it's safe to say you're hooked. You could audition for other situations and still rehearse with this band when they call it until you find something you feel better about. Everybody whores around, it's one of the cool things about being a part of your local music scene. A good drummer gets passed around.

I don't think it's the right move to quit without any place to go, but if they irritate you enough...music should not be a chore. Your call.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

I think what Larry is really trying to say is this:

You better step up your game and work on getting those 32nd note double-bass blasts up to 200bpm if you want anyone to ever take you seriously.

He then goes on some rant about how awesome Watso is, but we won't get into that.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Cmon Watso, this is Mary's thread. People have been waiting on this for weeks. Where are you manners? Make your own thread so we can try and peel back a few layers and expose fresh peeled Watso in all it's glory. That would be a great thread. We could interview you, in an attempt to get a handle on the madness! Now shoo!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I follow Mark Schulman, Pink, Cher and others, on Twitter and he left this there this morning. Give this a try.

http://markschulman.com/wp-content/u...REVIEW-PDF.pdf

this really is a good read. I met Mark at a clinic here in Florida, and he is the consummate showman and story teller. And oh by the way a hell of a drummer.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 06-25-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I think what Larry is really trying to say is this:

You better step up your game and work on getting those 32nd note double-bass blasts up to 200bpm if you want anyone to ever take you seriously.

He then goes on some rant about how awesome Watso is, but we won't get into that.
Yeah he's like that with the subtext......lol. It's good we have you around to point that out for us.

And Uncle Larry..thanks so much for the praise...it's high stuff indeed coming from you! I think I've decided to stick it out for another gig or two to see what happens. You're right, Im hooked :)
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Cmon Watso, this is Mary's thread. People have been waiting on this for weeks. Where are you manners? Make your own thread so we can try and peel back a few layers and expose fresh peeled Watso in all it's glory. That would be a great thread. We could interview you, in an attempt to get a handle on the madness! Now shoo!
Manners? That's hilarious.

And really? Another rant about how awesome I am, in the very same thread? C'mon guy. This is Mary's time to shine. I'm even standing just so that some of my light reflects on her. That's how down to earth and humble I am. I don't share my reflected light with just anyone, you know.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

So some if you were wondering what all my frustration with this band was about. Let me give you an example of the type of thing that makes me want to bang my head against the wall.....

Emails between me and lead singer:

Me - Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting together anytime this week or weekend for coffee or something and maybe we can discuss the good, the bad and the ugly :) and what we should try to do next. Probably be a good idea to all get together so we can figure out what needs to be done to make it even better.

Her - I was just wondering what you would want to talk about

LOL seriously? I thought I was pretty clear. I don't think they've ever talked about a gig once it's over. It's definitely a constant struggle. I did write her back and spelled it out that a review of the gig might be a good idea but as of yet I haven't heard back. Just thought this might give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with :)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
So some if you were wondering what all my frustration with this band was about. Let me give you an example of the type of thing that makes me want to bang my head against the wall.....

Emails between me and lead singer:

Me - Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting together anytime this week or weekend for coffee or something and maybe we can discuss the good, the bad and the ugly :) and what we should try to do next. Probably be a good idea to all get together so we can figure out what needs to be done to make it even better.

Her - I was just wondering what you would want to talk about

LOL seriously? I thought I was pretty clear. I don't think they've ever talked about a gig once it's over. It's definitely a constant struggle. I did write her back and spelled it out that a review of the gig might be a good idea but as of yet I haven't heard back. Just thought this might give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with :)
Could it be that you're just far more serious about the band, insofar as quality of performance, professionalism, etc. than the rest ?

If they're in the game purely for the laughs, and consider themselves amateurs just out for some craic, they probably think you're being a tad neurotic.

They come across a bit like that to me.

It's not even a problem...just people with different expectations/demands/needs I'd say
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Could it be that you're just far more serious about the band, insofar as quality of performance, professionalism, etc. than the rest ?

If they're in the game purely for the laughs, and consider themselves amateurs just out for some craic, they probably think you're being a tad neurotic.

They come across a bit like that to me.

It's not even a problem...just people with different expectations/demands/needs I'd say
True, except for the fact that the lead singer keeps telling me how serious she is about this and that she wants to take this band further. Mixed messages i guess.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Perhaps your lead singer just doesn't realise what is necessary to "take this further".

Mary, do you and the rest of the band get on socially?

If you do, here's a suggestion for your next gig:

Set up a camcorder that can record the gig.

At some time after the gig, sit down in a relaxed setting (wine/beer and pizza are your friends) and review the performance. You don't want to be attacking one another, and you don't need to tear yourselves to shreds. Try and identify what you can do to make your least impressive 1/3/9 songs better.

None of the above should be interpreted as a sly dig at what you've done - I've re-listened to the songs you posted, you should take care not to sprain your arms and shoulders with patting yourself on the back.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

None of the above should be interpreted as a sly dig at what you've done - I've re-listened to the songs you posted, you should take care not to sprain your arms and shoulders with patting yourself on the back.
I'm not sure what you mean by this and am honestly a little taken aback by it. At no time have I said I'm a great drummer. I know I have a long way to go. I have made sure to point out my own mistakes to my bandmates and to acknowledge my own shortcomings as much as anything else. I just want to have the chance to get better. If I've come across as obnoxious and conceited then I have failed somewhere.

And no. We are not social friends. Although I'd be willing to get together to discuss anything. However they just informed me they don't have any time over the next 3 weeks (first I'm hearing of this). so I figure it will be a month or so before we even see each other again. Just another frustration, I would rather talk about the gig while it's fresh in my mind but they don't think it's important so I just said okay.

I guess our motivation levels are just different as others have pointed out.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Mary, I honestly meant nothing but praise, and I'm deeply sorry that I appear to have offended you.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for what you have done. You have not been patting yourself on the back (far from it). What I meant was that you SHOULD be patting yourself on the back, because you've earned it.

The trouble with written communication is that meaning gets twisted. You have not failed in anything around this. My intent was unclear, and for that, and for hurting your feelings, I am very sorry indeed.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks James, I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. My bad. As you can tell, I'm just on edge with all of this right now. It seems as if im hitting walls at every turn.

I wish I could adequately express how much playing music means to me. It gets me emotional just thinking about it...yes, I've been in tears again tonight. Seems to be happening too much lately. There's never been anything that's meant this much to me and I guess I'm just trying too hard. It's probably why I'm all over the place with these posts as well.

Again, I'm sorry for misreading what you said. Thanks for the kind words :).
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 AM

Congrats Mary, #1 in the books. Hang in there lass.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks James, I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. My bad. As you can tell, I'm just on edge with all of this right now. It seems as if im hitting walls at every turn.
Mary, I've been drumming for around 6 months, so if there's anybody around here who has no room to be critical of another, it's me!

As I read it you guys played a gig. Nobody ran screaming from the room and you got invited back to play again. Sounds like a success to me! And the recordings you posted sound good.

It also sounds to me like you are a perfectionist. If I'm right in that, my suggestion would be to give your inner perfectionist free rein during rehearsals, to try and get everything as good as humanly possible. And rein her in at gigs, to be replaced by your inner party person, to concentrate on having fun.

Finally - the fault was mine. As a newbie here you don't know me (yet), so you read what you saw, is all.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Nobody ran screaming from the room
That's actually one of the best indicators of a great gig.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
True, except for the fact that the lead singer keeps telling me how serious she is about this and that she wants to take this band further. Mixed messages i guess.
First: great job! You've gone far, and fast! :)

Yeah, it sounds like this band member might be aware that you'd like to take the improvement of the band seriously, and is trying to relate to you, though perhaps the rest of the band is really just in it for kicks.

Also, bear in mind that most musicians and performers are absolutely terrified of video footage of their own performances.

But don't let that detract from your personal goals! You can still refine and improve your talents within this band (even if they screw up endings and take too long between songs, haha!). However, you probably won't be able to do much about the the playing or professionalism of other members; frankly, you risk alienating the other members if you try.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're right, Im hooked :)
I'm not surprised, it's a drug. You did brilliantly, and you know you can do better still. How could you not be hooked!

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I've been playing drums for 30 years and I still play the occasional gig in a sh** dive bar and the band has a clunker now and then. For a first gig, what you've done here is terrific. Appreciate the good that came out of it and focus on improving the areas that need improvement.

All in all, you should feel good about this.
Oh man, isn't this the inevitable truth. The only way to avoid it is to not do it.