Two Floor Toms

It is not set up like that all the time guys. Just for the picture. :) I don't even touch my Roland now that I have an acoustic kit again. When I get my knew kit in a week, I will be tearing down the Roland to make room for my new girlfriend. I used to think electronic drums were the bomb. Not so much anymore.

Strange, I thought I already commented on this, but any ways I have two floor toms 14, and 16 and I have no trouble with twisting, I even use my floor toms fairly far behind me relatively, even with my throne pulled very far up I have no problem with it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...28357_100001422392884_638531_2007484977_n.jpg

Perhaps it's because I've been playing with two for so long. actually, I guess it's three, but I'm guessing we're talking about two to the right.

also, regarding Mr Neil Peart's set, instead of tearing dow your Roland you should save a few pads and place them around your acoustic for some of those strange sounds that you can only get from electronic drums, like well, Neil Peart, or well, Pat Mastelotto.

Strange, I thought I already commented on this, but any ways I have two floor toms 14, and 16 and I have no trouble with twisting, I even use my floor toms fairly far behind me relatively, even with my throne pulled very far up I have no problem with it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...28357_100001422392884_638531_2007484977_n.jpg

Perhaps it's because I've been playing with two for so long. actually, I guess it's three, but I'm guessing we're talking about two to the right.

also, regarding Mr Neil Peart's set, instead of tearing dow your Roland you should save a few pads and place them around your acoustic for some of those strange sounds that you can only get from electronic drums, like well, Neil Peart, or well, Pat Mastelotto.
Yes that is a great idea. I have been toying with it for a while now. Both sets are the same colour so they will not be too obvious. I will have to put more thought into it now that I have to tear it down anyways.

After you've played for a while with 3 floor toms getting to the second one is not such a problem......

Even for those with 2 floor toms, how often do you play the 2nd floor tom? Do you play it regularly during songs, or just special songs, or just end of song flourishes?

I've never had two floor toms, nor will I ever have two floor toms. Just one (preferably an 18") tuned way down low. 14" drums are tom toms to me. I wouldn't put anything smaller than a 16" on the floor. That's how I roll.

I've never had two floor toms, nor will I ever have two floor toms. Just one (preferably an 18") tuned way down low. 14" drums are tom toms to me. I wouldn't put anything smaller than a 16" on the floor. That's how I roll.
Never say never. It will always come back to bite you. :)

I sound kinda' dumb when I have more than two toms. I do have a kit with two floor toms but I never use the second floor tom. And then there's that thing about carrying around and setting up an additional drum that will only get played maybe 10% of the time on a gig.

If you don't like twisting to get to a second floor tom, then don't make playing any harder than it has to be. People will hire you for your groove, not how much real estate you take up on stage ;)

Even for those with 2 floor toms, how often do you play the 2nd floor tom? Do you play it regularly during songs, or just special songs, or just end of song flourishes?

In much of the music I play, it's indispensable, not just because there are two floor toms, but because of the difference in their sound.

Dennis

Back