DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Default Piccolo snares--who uses one, and why?

Hey Crew,

I've been using this Tama Soprano Piccolo snare off and on. (See my previous "mystery snare" post on it) It's a 3-1/4" x 12".

I really am starting to love the sound, pitch, and varied uses of it. Seems to be MUCH easier to use when using my double bass pedals, as it cuts down the "leg spread" necessary around a larger snare. Releasing the throw-off gives it a clean "timbale" sound when doing Latin-type songs (like Santana), as I don't own timbales, and probably would never buy them.

I haven't really read up much on what exactly a piccolo snare is designed for, or it's intended use. I did read one article that says it's for "limited application, and as a "second snare", but it was a "opinion" article.

Anyone here use one? What applications? Up side/down side? Just curious.

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Piccolo snares--who uses one, and why?

I have one that I built, 4 x 14, and I built it to have a very high pitched cracking sound. And that it does.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM

It is very personal at once, but generally, "piccolo" snares are used in every circumstances, it depends on what sonority you're looking for. David Garibaldi, one of the most famous funk drummers, uses one (14"x3.5" Yamaha brass DG signature model). Also many other drummers use these types of snares. It produces a high pitch foundamental note and a loud, sensitive "crack". Personally, I would use it for funk and pop only, but you could easily find other musical purposes for it.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Daviault View Post
It is very personal at once, but generally, "piccolo" snares are used in every circumstances, it depends on what sonority you're looking for. David Garibaldi, one of the most famous funk drummers, uses one (14"x3.5" Yamaha brass DG signature model). Also many other drummers use these types of snares. It produces a high pitch foundamental note and a loud, sensitive "crack". Personally, I would use it for funk and pop only, but you could easily find other musical purposes for it.
I use mine occasionally just for to change up the sound and see if it makes me create something different. I like it. Sounds like a gun shot. Just do what you think sounds good. Most others won't notice and probably don't care as long as you're playing in the groove :)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
Just do what you think sounds good.
That's the best advice when it comes to equipment decisions. I try to always buy used gear. If I decide I don't like something, I can hopefully sell it for what I paid. When it comes down to it, I think most of us could take a low budget knock-off snare, fuss with it a bit and get it to sound acceptable. The appeal of the sound to you, is the key.

If it feels and sounds good to you, you're golden.
Yamaha Oak
Yamaha Tour
1966 Ludwig
Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

CP, I've used a piccolo snare as my main snare for rock music since 1978. It's my sound. I was laughed at by other players in the late 70's and early 80's for using such a drum for rock. This was at a time when everyone else was using the deepest possible snare drum, tuned real low. I still use it today for all of my live work. These days the piccolo is much more widely accepted but still quite rare in rock. I have a 13 x 5 stave snare for occasions where I need a bit more warmth. I've just recorded with the piccolo too and love it. The only downsides are, if you want a deep sound, it won't do it and it can cut through a bit too much & bleed onto other tracks in a studio setting. I don't do deep & low snare sound so I'm cool about that.

Sorry, forgot to say, my piccolo is a Pearl 14" x 31/2" brass free floating shell. Loud as hell & superb build quality, especially for the money.

Last edited by keep it simple; 02-08-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM

I use one and I play rock/metal but it's mainly used as a secondary snare. I've always thought they were perfect for grooves and make more of in impact from going to quiet/softer parts to loud/aggresive parts(secondary to main snare).
Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 AM

I've got a Pearl Piccolo on the left side of my kit, but only use it for accents and special applications. I've heard that since it has such a distinctive voice, it's generally not used as a main snare (depending on the music, of course)
I agree with you, though, I do love the loud crack of it and sometimes find myself using it to wake the sleepers in the crowd.... :-)
Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Some jazz gigs I play are 90% brushes. I use a piccolo for that. Sounds great!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Im still toying with getting a piccolo. I have a 12 x 5 maple ply and a 14 x 4.5 jarrah stave that I can tune up pretty high for that nice 'poppy' sound. Ive been thinking maybe a 13 x 3 BB is a good add to the collection.

F
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

I'm a big fan of piccolo's. I use a piccolo frequently because of their brightness and extreme sensitivity. I'm generally a light player and I rarely hit "rimshots" on my snare. But if I wanted that bright crack sound, as if I'm actually hitting a rimshot, the piccolo can sometimes give the illusion that I'm hitting one, since it cuts extremely well through the music.

If the piccolo seems too bright and cutting in some situations, I can make it sound bigger and lower pitched by tuning them down a bunch and by adding more reverb when I'm miked.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Hey Crew,

I've been using this Tama Soprano Piccolo snare off and on. (See my previous "mystery snare" post on it) It's a 3-1/4" x 12".

I really am starting to love the sound, pitch, and varied uses of it. Seems to be MUCH easier to use when using my double bass pedals, as it cuts down the "leg spread" necessary around a larger snare. Releasing the throw-off gives it a clean "timbale" sound when doing Latin-type songs (like Santana), as I don't own timbales, and probably would never buy them.

I haven't really read up much on what exactly a piccolo snare is designed for, or it's intended use. I did read one article that says it's for "limited application, and as a "second snare", but it was a "opinion" article.

Anyone here use one? What applications? Up side/down side? Just curious.

Cheers,
C. P.
In the '80s, I think it was required of every drummer to have one after Dave Weckl debuted with one in Chick Corea's Elektrik Band (along with a mullet, too). As much as I like the sound, especially the sound David Garibaldi gets with his, I didn't like it for me. Too much crack and not enough body. And consequently to this day I've stuck with 5 or 5.5 deep snares cranked up if I have to. What I did begin to like was the 5.5x13 or 6x13 sound, then you could leave the head at medium and still get the high pitch of the smaller head. But oddly enough I don't own one of those.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
In the '80s, I think it was required of every drummer to have one after Dave Weckl debuted with one in Chick Corea's Elektrik Band (along with a mullet, too). As much as I like the sound, especially the sound David Garibaldi gets with his, I didn't like it for me. Too much crack and not enough body. And consequently to this day I've stuck with 5 or 5.5 deep snares cranked up if I have to. What I did begin to like was the 5.5x13 or 6x13 sound, then you could leave the head at medium and still get the high pitch of the smaller head. But oddly enough I don't own one of those.
The mullet part is too true, and too funny! I also like the sound of a piccolo, but I find it kind of limited as far as application is concerned. I understand exactly what you mean by too much crack and not enough body. For a lot of the music my band plays, a piccolo would sound pretty harsh.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 AM

I use this 3.5x14 Pearl Free Floater with my Pearl micro conversion kit ...

It's tuned just over medium pitch (the free floater seems to take this tuning well) and sounds great with the smaller kick and single 10x12 tom.

I also have a Premier 7.5x12 birch "Modern Classic" series side snare, used with my Ludwig Classic Maples ...
it is tuned quite high and is a great accent snare.