DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM

Default Drum Covers / Recording

Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone here posts their drum covers on youtube, or records them?
If so how do you get the backing track?
Do you just play to a metronome and then put the track over the top later? I've been listening to loads on youtube and it sounds like the drums aren't even there....
does anyone know how this is done?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Covers / Recording

that's probably because the drummer is playing exactly what's on the original recording so you can't hear the original drums at all.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:38 PM

Ok, thanks.

Its just that sometimes it sounds like they're playing something completely different and you can't hear the original drums either
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
that's probably because the drummer is playing exactly what's on the original recording so you can't hear the original drums at all.
This is true in most cases. (which makes no sense to me why anyone bothers to post such things, but whatever).

Also, if you have some basic recording software, you can download midi versions of some songs, assign the midi tracks to sounds, and re-create a near-ish sound alike.

Another thing is some songs are available without the drums as play along CDs (with the songs re-performed by some other than the original artist, but sound very close). You'll see these advertised in the drum magazines for sale.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace :) View Post
Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone here posts their drum covers on youtube, or records them?
Do you just play to a metronome and then put the track over the top later? I've been listening to loads on youtube and it sounds like the drums aren't even there....

Thanks!

I play along to the track with head phones and then add in the song's audio in later. This is one of my covers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUdSzXh8lw
Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

I do what the above does. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjwGkzqPXJ0

What I do is put the mp3 on my headphones (you can see me wearing them in the vid), and then simply open up my video editor, and layer the mp3 over the video of me playing. That's all. It SOUNDS like the drums from the actual track are gone because I'm playing what the drummer is and I'm doing it more loudly.

It's really simple, actually. And I would really, really suggest AGAINST using midis or metronomes, because very few recordings are going to be exactly on tempo, so when you try and layer you and the song together it's going to be all wrong.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 PM

I do the same thing (kindof)...I play with headphones but also have my speakers on and I record the video. I then up-load that to iMovie. Next I take the same exact song I was playing from my iTunes and drag that on top of my video and line up the music, this way I can adjust the level of the video (with my drum sounds), and the level of the actual song and blend the two. That way the overdubbed drums are not overpowering the music. The only down fall to this is that you have to get the video and audio matched up exactly right or it looks kinda weird...here is one I did this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6Jt_akzb0
Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace :) View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
I'll record some tunes next week. I record on electronic drums, it saves a lot of effort. Plug in the drum module into the camera mic: instant studio sound.

No metronome. If you play along to tracks, why do you need a metronome! The timing is there already.