DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig Neusonic

The Renowns aren't made in the US. I'm pretty sure the Neusonics are the lowest-priced, quality drums that are made in the US.

That doesn't necessarily matter to everyone, but just comparing price isn't always apples to apples.

Bermuda
Old 02-28-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
The odd thing about Renown's is you can get a kit with 24" kick for same price, but 20" bumps up in price.
Yes, I definitely noticed that when buying my 20" Renown kit. It makes no sense from a materials standpoint because the bass drum and floor tom are smaller.

My only guess is that 20" kits aren't as popular, so they aren't as competitive on driving the price down? But that doesn't make sense either. If you want to move more units, you drop the price...my head hurts.

Also, the Vintage Pearl Renowns I got were consistently more expensive than the other finishes. I think this has to be due to higher demand.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The Renowns aren't made in the US. I'm pretty sure the Neusonics are the lowest-priced, quality drums that are made in the US.

That doesn't necessarily matter to everyone, but just comparing price isn't always apples to apples.

Bermuda
Sigh.

It matters to me, I'm not interested in purchasing an Asian built kit. If I was I would have asked which Chinese or Taiwanese (or wherever it is cheapest to make drums this week) kit do you all recommend. I did not ask that, I asked if anyone gigged these new Ludwig kits extensively? And if so, how have they held up to the abuse that a working drummer hands out?

I want a great sounding American made kit that I can drag into some of the worst playing environments you could imagine. And I don't want to trash out a $2000 shell pack when it's 98 degrees out and we get our mid-afternoon tropical rain shower. Currently, the Neusonics are the only drum set being manufactured in America, by skilled American craftsmen, that won't break the bank. I simply wanted to know if they are truly built for the "working drummer" as Ludwig bills them.

So, I'll ask again: Has anyone gigged the Neusonics out over and over again? I gig about 5-6 times a month, plus weekly rehearsals so the kit will be tore-down and set-up about 10 times a month. Any issues with lugs or screws stripping out? Any issue with the finish being excessively damaged by bar/beach/biker party type environments? Do they hold their tuning for a reasonable amount of playing? You know, the sorts of things a working drummer will find to be important.

If you haven't gigged one of these kits, you can't answer my questions. There's no need to respond with your "You should buy this instead" comments.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

I think you should buy them, gig them for a few years, and then report back on this thread.

Only half kidding. The Neusonics were announced about a year ago, and I finally saw a set around here last month.
I doubt that too many people have long term gig experiences with them, and none would have over a year's worth.

I don't have them, but tried them.
I thought they sounded great, but looked a bit budget - which they are.
Nothing wrong with that if you put sound first. It was the blue set.

Last edited by wildbill; 03-01-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145drummie View Post
I simply wanted to know if they are truly built for the "working drummer" as Ludwig bills them.
Having had my hands on them at length at NAMM, I have no question about their suitability for gigging or even touring, with this single exception: I would replace the kick spurs.

Apart from that, there's nothing sub-par about them structurally, or sonically. They're the best bang for the buck IMO. I wanted to grab the coral set at NAMM, but Bob Rupp had already bought it.

Bermuda
Old 03-01-2019, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145drummie View Post
So, I'll ask again: Has anyone gigged the Neusonics out over and over again? I gig about 5-6 times a month, plus weekly rehearsals so the kit will be tore-down and set-up about 10 times a month. Any issues with lugs or screws stripping out? Any issue with the finish being excessively damaged by bar/beach/biker party type environments? Do they hold their tuning for a reasonable amount of playing? You know, the sorts of things a working drummer will find to be important.
Your frustration is understood. If there were a place for you to find a drummer with this sort of experience, this would be it. And Bermuda would definitely be your guy! But it seems the Neusonics are too new (pun definitely intended!) for any members here to have the sort of first-hand experience you demand. We're trying our best to help you.

Quote:
with this single exception: I would replace the kick spurs.
Wisdom, right here. And on the internet no less.

Personally, I would imagine that a matte, light-colored Formica finish is your very best chance for durability, in outdoor venues. Direct sunlight is never your friend, here, of course. Hold tune? Probably not great in this regard, given the light hoops and small lugs, but some Lug Locks would probably help. The tom mounts look good, like a recent design from Atlas, so that bodes well. Compared to other offerings at this price range, and the overall attractiveness of the Ludwigs, I'm surprised you haven't already pulled the trigger! Please do, and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 PM

My local shop has a couple in stock. Durable is not a term Iíd associate with it. Maybe iím wrong, but the finish ply seems very thin and they just feel sub par. I do own a classic maple kit so I am biased towards Ludwig.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:25 AM

Got a chance to mess with one of these sets at Guitar Center a few months ago. They sound fine, but my personal gripe is the wrap and seam (Visually unpleasing, Drummers review on Youtube shows exactly what I'm talking about).

I'm sure it cost a fair bit more to satin a kit, but I would have preferred to see that over a pseudo wrap and poor seem along the side even if it costs $100-200 more. Hell even a regular wrap would have been fine with a little higher price tag.

Cant comment on hardware. Just seemed like average taiwanese stuff bolted to the shell. Doubt Ludwig USA manufacturers the hardware and has this tooling in the US (goes for higher end stuff too), but I might be wrong.

Last edited by PacificDrum0301; 03-03-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificDrum0301 View Post
Cant comment on hardware. Just seemed like average Taiwanese stuff. bolted to the shell. Doubt Ludwig USA manufacturers the hardware and has this tooling in the US, but I might be wrong.
Ludwig's and almost every other drum companies' hardware is manufactured in Asia. I believe that Trick manufactures their own lugs and also OEMs lugs for WFLIII drums. I can't think of another US drum company/builder that manufactures their own.

I guess AXIS deserves an honorable mention for their US-made pedals and stands, but they're not a drum company.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 03-03-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Hold tune? Probably not great in this regard, given the light hoops
I didn't notice they had light hoops, but that would explain (in part) why they sound nice and punchy. The edge* certainly contributes the most to the nice fundamental note on the toms.

Quote:
...and small lugs
I think those lugs use the same tension rod inserts as some/all of the other tom lugs, the casing size wouldn't affect tuning.

Quote:
...but some Lug Locks would probably help.
Tension rod locks are a good idea on any drum IMO.

Bermuda

* the bearing edge... not The Edge from U2 :)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Ludwig's and almost every other drum companies' hardware is manufactured in Asia. I believe that Trick manufactures their own lugs and also OEMs lugs for WFLIII drums. I can't think of another US drum company/builder that manufactures their own.

I guess AXIS deserves an honorable mention for their pedals and stands, but they're not a drum company.

Bermuda
Yup, I only questioned it because you can still buy P85 throw offs that are USA made. Wasn't sure if Ludwig was still manufacturing hardware past the 90s-2000s.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

I had a few minutes to sit behind a set and they were great. No problem tuning up and they were built well enough. I donít think anyone should be concerned about them falling apart on a gig. Take care of them and donít throw em around and I donít see any reason they wont last a long time.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Sweetwater just posted a demo video of the Neusonics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_67XTjkD6M

I love Nick D'Virgilio's playing and his kit demos, but I think this time he tuned the drums too low, almost flappy.

This is one of the rare instances I think he should've tuned them differently. I'm sure they're capable of much more resonance and tone if they were tuned somewhere in the middle.