DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 07-03-2018, 05:13 PM

Default Inde vs C&C

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both brands and can compare and contrast. I used to own a player date II kit. I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like it. Loved the look and feel but it always sounded too dead for me, unless it was tuned very high. I tried all kinds of heads, but to no avail.
I'm in the market and I really like the looks and idea of the Inde drums. But i'm concerned they will sound like the C&C's. Very light weight shell and round-over bearing edge. The YouTube videos sound great, but they also sounded good for the C&C.
Any thoughts.

DW Performance Series
InDe' Kit
Paiste
Zildjian
Old 07-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Inde vs C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fess View Post
Just wondering if anyone has experience with both brands and can compare and contrast. I used to own a player date II kit. I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like it. Loved the look and feel but it always sounded too dead for me, unless it was tuned very high. I tried all kinds of heads, but to no avail.
Any thoughts.
I considered both, and went with George Way, and had iNDE as a fallback in case the GW didn't work out. The C&C's reminded me of our old 60's era Club/Player Franken-Date. The iNDE seemed/sounded much more modern by comparison.

All that said, I'm the type of guy that shows up to a cycle race with a Penny-Farthing. The GW suits me extremely well.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

They are totally different kits and they will not sound alike. The player date II is designed to have a fatter, wetter sound with a shortened sustain. The Inde's by comparison are thin shelled, hard maple with an edge that is designed to add shell resonance in to the mix, but not to choke head sustain. The light weight hardware will help the drums open up and give nice fully rounded tones at all dynamic levels.

So, no, the Inde will not sound anything like the Player Date II you had before. Its a more modern kit with a bit of a vintage vibe with is simpler hardware design.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:28 AM
Silver Member

The only kit I ever regretted selling was a c&c player date 2.

It was the nicest, roundest, liveliest, most easily tunable drum kit out there. 20-12-14 could do it all.

Traded it in for a gretsch usa custom, a bad trade?

All my bandmates thought the same.

Damn.

I would love to try an Inde, as those seem well thought out and are competitively priced.

Last edited by Groov-E; 07-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:29 AM
Groov-E
This message has been deleted by Groov-E.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

I am a current owner of an INDe kit and I can say with no hesitation that these are fantastic drums. Excellent build quality, superb sounding and very lightweight drums. They are the ideal drums for the gigging drummer. They are also very reasonably priced. I have a few far more expensive kits and the INDe hols it's own against these kits. The seamless brushed aluminum snares are superb.

I have played a few C&C kits and got to inspect them as well and my takeaway was that they were just average sounding drums with an average build quality.
This is no slight, I just did not find they ticked off as many boxes as the INDe drums do.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:25 PM

INDe gets a strong recommendation from me on their hardware design and customer service alone. Josh at INDe has superb designs that equate to gains in both sound and simple functionality. Coupling that with the build options (lots of sizes - configs) and superb communication makes INDe as good or better of a choice than any big-name/top-tier kit I've owned.

I have had INDe kits with both their maple shells (and more recently with Jenkins-Martins spun-glass shells). The maple shells are a thin 5-ply design with a proprietary lay-up. Knowing how much heads and tuning can do for/to a drum, I'd have no hesitation going with INDe knowing I could constrain/shape the sound as needed without the concern I'd be stuck with more one-dimensional sounding drum.

Get a hold of Josh at INDe to discuss your build ideas to see what kind of feedback you can get. He sweats the details.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Banned

INDe for the win. No comparison.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

INDe are modern sounding/looking drums, while C&C are vintage sounding/looking drums. They are two different beasts. I have a C&C 12th & Vine that I love. It has a wonderfully warm, fat tone. The INDe drums I have heard sound great too- just much more modern. I would compare INDe drums to Ludwig Classic Maple drums instead of C&C. Those will be closer in sound to the INDe.

Personally I don't like that you can ONLY get stained kits from INDe. As a former touring drummer, I much preferred the durability of wrapped drums. And I absolutely do not believe that there is any significant tonal difference between a wrapped drum and a lacquered drum. Perhaps there is a SLIGHT and I mean VERY SLIGHT difference between a wrapped and stained drum, but I can't think of a situation where the sonic differences would impact a performance or get a negative reaction from your band/employer. (Most of the major studios have wrapped kits in their arsenal, for example.)
Old 07-05-2018, 03:41 PM

I haven't played or heard an Inde kit, and have heard nothing but great things about them, but I can say that I'm thrilled with my C&C Gladstone. Bought it used and unloaded a vintage kit I had and now I have what I refer to as a "modern-vintage" kit. Same great sound, but better hardware and easier to tune.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
As a former touring drummer, I much preferred the durability of wrapped drums. And I absolutely do not believe that there is any significant tonal difference between a wrapped drum and a lacquered drum.
No argument when it comes to durability.

The tonal difference only affects extremely low-mass kits (iNDE, Guru, GWay), and even then, it's something that only a recording studio will pick up, or an acoustic exposition in an amphitheater.

Through a PA with two guitars, keys, bass, and a vocalist... Nobody is going to hear the difference. Maybe Andy would, but he has a magic ear for these things.