DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Choosing your wedding band when you're in a wedding band!

Pretty much what the title says.

It's a nightmare trying to find a decent band when you know the tricks of the trade. The main one being that all the videos on websites are mimed to a midi track, auto-tuned etc so unless you go and see them you are going in blind. I'll give you an example of one of ours, purely for embarrassment purposes, really glad I had nothing to do with any of the editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSDExAG-cc

and ALL of the bands I've seen are like this but a few have spent a lot more money on the promo vids.

The problem with going to see them is I'm playing at the same time usually and seeing showcases in the week means going to Ireland and taking leave from work.

Anyone been in the same boat?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Choosing your wedding band when you're in a wedding band!

Pick the one that plays White Wedding.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

I picked a guy I'd worked with before. He was able to put a little ensemble together that was just perfect for the night.

Do you know some of these guys working the local circuit? Someone you may have either worked with or crossed paths with before? Can you approach one of them and work through some options?

Or what about your own band with a sub brought in for the night?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I picked a guy I'd worked with before. He was able to put a little ensemble together that was just perfect for the night.

Do you know some of these guys working the local circuit? Someone you may have either worked with or crossed paths with before? Can you approach one of them and work through some options?

Or what about your own band with a sub brought in for the night?
I've looked into this but I don't think my better half is keen on most of the wedding party on my side being on stage all night, Irish women are angrier than most :) Plus Irish weddings are a last man standing affair and drunken band could get messy! Believe me if I could I would and save myself 2500 euros in the process. (I'm in the wrong country doing weddings!)

Biggest problem is we're in England and the wedding is in Ireland so we've asked for recommendations from friends and family in Ireland, there's been a few but as you know there's listening and listening with a musicians ears.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

Were in this very situation, but in the end we decided that we will play as the wedding band haha
Old 04-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Were in this very situation, but in the end we decided that we will play as the wedding band haha
I'd love to, I had ideas of resurrecting the old 80s cock rock band we used to do at uni or some really nice close harmony stuff just not what we do most weekends.

Oh well I've got a night in Dublin checking a band out next week so it's an excuse to sample a few pints of the black stuff I suppose. Hoping I've found a cool band that are different to us. What ya reckon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxf...u0gzeMRsvtLiJH
Old 04-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

If the band cares enough to do a quality audio/video recording like this in the studio, it's certainly a plus. It let's you know that they are at least committed to being professional.

I think you'd have to see something done live to truly judge if they can do the harmonies and produce a quality sound/act etc.

My marketing plan would include some live stuff but NOT amateur or cell phone video and certainly not amateur or cell phone audio that is ever present on the web. I cringe when I see/hear that.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Hire you own band and do the gig with them. If the spouse doesn't understand tell her/him to get used to it ;/
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting dilemma………

I’m guessing you have been chosen to find a band because you have experience in this area. However, you should consider letting your future spouse or in-laws choose the band. And if you don’t like their choice just grin and bear it. Otherwise if you pick the band and your spouse and your new in-laws don’t like the band, you will be hearing complaints about this for a LONG time to come. Trust me when I say this.

One possible solution is to have your band play your own wedding, but hire someone to sit in for you.
You can even play a couple of songs with the band during your wedding.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Leave the selection to your wife.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 PM

I had this dilemma 16 years ago. My 11 piece funk band played weddings and everything else. Should I "hire" them to play and I get to sit in on a few? That forces them to play with a sub who wouldn't know the show.

In the end, we both decided a DJ was best. No pressure for anyone, the guys could have fun and we could dance to all those songs from the original recordings. Worked out great and I wouldn't have changed a thing. (even the groomsmen and I switching to our disco 70's funk attire for the reception)
Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisri View Post
Leave the selection to your wife.
That sounds like the voice of experience!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisco View Post
I had this dilemma 16 years ago. My 11 piece funk band played weddings and everything else. Should I "hire" them to play and I get to sit in on a few? That forces them to play with a sub who wouldn't know the show.

In the end, we both decided a DJ was best. No pressure for anyone, the guys could have fun and we could dance to all those songs from the original recordings. Worked out great and I wouldn't have changed a thing. (even the groomsmen and I switching to our disco 70's funk attire for the reception)
Gotta be a band sadly. Weddings are a big deal in Ireland so bands come as standard.

Now the 70s funk attire sounds like a plan..........
Old 04-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Interesting dilemma………

I’m guessing you have been chosen to find a band because you have experience in this area. However, you should consider letting your future spouse or in-laws choose the band. And if you don’t like their choice just grin and bear it. Otherwise if you pick the band and your spouse and your new in-laws don’t like the band, you will be hearing complaints about this for a LONG time to come. Trust me when I say this.

One possible solution is to have your band play your own wedding, but hire someone to sit in for you.
You can even play a couple of songs with the band during your wedding.

Not really been chosen but the ones we've been recommended have been a bit shite for the fees they charge. Including the one that's playing her brothers wedding in August.

The one we're seeing next week in Dublin has got the thumbs up all round as of 8pm GMT, even from the mother in law which I'm amazed at. Irish Catholic mother-in-laws make Hitler look like a Teddy Bear!

Unfortunately playing my own wedding got crossed out a while back. I did ask the guys but I think we want a night off! Logistics between England and Ireland are a bit tricky factoring in vehicle hire and ferry costs.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoB View Post
Hire you own band and do the gig with them. If the spouse doesn't understand tell her/him to get used to it ;/
Irish women tend to have a bit more fight in them than most. I enjoy a challenge but I'd be singing castrato for the rest of my life if I put it that bluntly!

Irish mother in laws have been known to kill with a lash of their tongue!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Hire your own band with a replacement drummer.

Might even be able to get them to donate the evening as a wedding present?(but paying the replacement drummer)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Not really been chosen but the ones we've been recommended have been a bit shite for the fees they charge. Including the one that's playing her brothers wedding in August.

The one we're seeing next week in Dublin has got the thumbs up all round as of 8pm GMT, even from the mother in law which I'm amazed at. Irish Catholic mother-in-laws make Hitler look like a Teddy Bear!

Unfortunately playing my own wedding got crossed out a while back. I did ask the guys but I think we want a night off! Logistics between England and Ireland are a bit tricky factoring in vehicle hire and ferry costs.
If the guys in your band are all going to be at the wedding........well.......no harm in playing a couple songs, then back to the wedding, right? Best of all worlds, you and the guys aren't working all night, and you get to do your thing for family and friends for a couple minutes. They're gonna want to see you play anyway, if they know that you play at all.

Good luck with everything! Congratulations!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

I'd commit the heresy of hiring a DJ and then let your wife hand pick each song for the whole evening LOL. That leaves more dance floor room and room for a bigger bar. Woooo Party!!!!!!!! And congrats on the upcoming nuptials. Been married thirty years this summer-man time flies.

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 04-07-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Irish women tend to have a bit more fight in them than most. I enjoy a challenge but I'd be singing castrato for the rest of my life if I put it that bluntly!

Irish mother in laws have been known to kill with a lash of their tongue!
I dated an older Scottish bar keeper a long time ago... she was rather course but what a freakin' sense of humor that one had.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'll give you an example of one of ours, purely for embarrassment purposes, really glad I had nothing to do with any of the editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSDExAG-cc
Dude, how do you make your ride make those hi-hat sounds?!?
Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

My wife and I are both musicians so we were very much against going paying a DJ what we could pay a whole band. We ended going with a band of local retirees that played Dixieland Jazz. We lucked out because their fee was very reasonable, really more of a hobby and a little extra money for them.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Dude, how do you make your ride make those hi-hat sounds?!?
Not my drumming thankfully! It's a midi track that we had to mime over, our singer basically recorded karaoke vocals and was autotuned.

I shot another promo vid Sunday just gone, same thing! I need to get a big paper bag to put over my head when I'm doing them!

It's the standard across the wedding band promos but to the unsuspecting punter they don't know any different.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
My wife and I are both musicians so we were very much against going paying a DJ what we could pay a whole band. We ended going with a band of local retirees that played Dixieland Jazz. We lucked out because their fee was very reasonable, really more of a hobby and a little extra money for them.
We've gone for these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxf...u0gzeMRsvtLiJH

We went over to Dublin to see them, great night. 7 piece soul band for the same price as a the 4 piece bands go for. Best part is they're a million miles away from what I do.

It's another thing ticked off the list! Put me in good books as well!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Hire your own band with a replacement drummer.
This is exactly what I was thinking as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

I'm glad its sorted. Otherwise my band from Australia would love to do the show - all you'd have to pay is seven around-the-world airfares and some accommodation, etc...

I hope it all goes well.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I think it's cheesy when the groom plays, JMO, doesn't really mean anything. It's the bride's big day, all focus on her. If you hire your band, I hope you get someone who can drum as good as you.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
I'm glad its sorted. Otherwise my band from Australia would love to do the show - all you'd have to pay is seven around-the-world airfares and some accommodation, etc...

I hope it all goes well.
Would there be cricket involved????
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM

When I got married I decided that a) if we paid a band I'd spend the night wondering if it was the right one and critiquing the drummer and 2) its MY wedding, so if I can gig it why the hell not?

So I put together a three piece consisting of me, my dad (got to keep it in the family) on bass and his regular gigging companion on guitar and vocals and together we got a setlist of crowd favourites and just rocked out.

The crowd loved it because no-one expected me to change out of my suit mid-way through the evening and hop on the kit that was set up, and because I was able to tweak the setlist to those tunes that I knew the majority of the crowd (i.e. my and the wifes friends) knew and loved we had an instant winner.

Simply a spectacular night and considering everyines wedding day is one they never forget, this made mine extra memorable for me!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I think it's cheesy when the groom plays, JMO, doesn't really mean anything. It's the bride's big day, all focus on her. If you hire your band, I hope you get someone who can drum as good as you.
I'm totally with ya bud!

The guy who plays for the band we've booked looks pretty tasteful, holds the groove and leads the band well, which is all a drummer needs to do, plus he's got a nice old Premier with all original hardware. In fact I'm well envious because his band have a brass section and keys and mine doesn't!

I'm nowhere near good enough to have an ego never mind one big enough to compare other drummers to me, I count myself lucky to get paid to play!