DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: White Stripes Drummer Meg White To Replace Rush’s Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
In fairness Vicious was competent fairly quickly into his playing career. A fact often forgotten/misrepresented (as you're doing here). A competent beginner at worst. And plenty have given him more credit especially during the latter days of his career. He was, by all accounts, quite a fast learner.
Early career? Later career? His career on bass was barely 2 years.
He didn't know how to play bass when he joined in Feb 1977, and he died in Feb 1979.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Early career? Later career? His career on bass was barely 2 years.
He didn't know how to play bass when he joined in Feb 1977, and he died in Feb 1979.
So it was a short career. What's your point?

Couldn't play a single note at the start. At the end he was reasonably competent if limited. This is generally accepted and well documented. I don't know which gig, I can't recall, but one of the later gigs he played reasonably well. Probably didn't help that he spent most of his time coked up to the eyeballs of course.

Regardless. The fact is that he was a very quick learner and effectively self taught himself in that 2 year period. He was no Chris Squire. But then The Pistols weren't exactly Prog Rock. In fact they were utter tripe IMHO.

And he could definitely sing.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So it was a short career. What's your point?

Couldn't play a single note at the start. At the end he was reasonably competent if limited. This is generally accepted and well documented. I don't know which gig, I can't recall, but one of the later gigs he played reasonably well. Probably didn't help that he spent most of his time coked up to the eyeballs of course.

Regardless. The fact is that he was a very quick learner and effectively self taught himself in that 2 year period. He was no Chris Squire. But then The Pistols weren't exactly Prog Rock. In fact they were utter tripe IMHO.
I think on average, any reasonable person could learn to play basic bass parts in 2 years if they were in a situation where they were rehearsing/gigging on a regular basis.

What prevents many people from gaining minimal competency on a instrument is most people have to work, or go to school, or have other time constraints. But if a person is fully immersed in a situation, learning becomes quicker. Much like it's said learning a foreign language is easier if you're in the country that speaks that language than learning via a school book. Sid was fully immersed in a band that gigged regularly, so it's not a shock anyone would be reasonably ok after a year or two. But it's also been documented along the way he only played on one song on Never Mind the Bollocks. and, at least at the beginning, the sound guy would turn Sid down or off during shows because his playing was sloppy

So I think Pocket's comparison is pretty valid.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think you need your ears de-waxing. That's a superb punk cover.

He sings it wonderfully
It's a superb punk cover, in that it encompasses the sheer irreverence and devil may care attitude that I liked about early punk and indeed Sid himself. But if you think it's a superb vocal performance, I'm gonna suggest it's not my ears that need a clean out.

Regardless, what about the bass playing that I'd somehow initially misrepresented? Did that actually sound like competency that plenty have given him credit for? Or did it sound more like a guy holding a bass that occasionally fluked a note that fit, as I'd initially suggested?

Don't get me wrong Squaddy, I'm a big fan of the Sex Pistols and I've always been endeared by the train wreck that was the public persona of Sidney Vicious. But the initial point was that (other than a Squadleader from Manchester), I've never heard any bass player suggest that what he did with a bass guitar was to be admired because of its simplicity and minimalism. It might have been an embellishment to align it with Meg to make my point, but it does go someway to covering my thoughts nonetheless. :-)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I've never heard any bass player suggest that what he did with a bass guitar was to be admired because of its simplicity and minimalism. It might have been an embellishment to align it with Meg to make my point, but it does go someway to covering my thoughts nonetheless. :-)
Indeed. I think Lemmy was far more influential as a dinosaur-bassist than Sid.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Yeah any link or comparison between Meg to Sid Vicious would be a weak one. Two completely different situations.

Meg’s drumming and her minimised approach to the instrument was important to the overall sound of the White Stripes, without even getting into ability or even why she played like that.

Sid Vicious was not integral to The Sex Pistols sound in anyway shape or form. He was added to the band mostly solely down to his image, didn’t appear on their album, would be turned down at gigs…etc the band was enterly focused on Rotten's vocals, Steve Jones gutair and Paul Cook's drumming.

Two different situations, Sid only picked up the instrument a year or two before passing away, it seems also that playing the bass was only a way in to becoming a ‘Punk icon’ . Then he went back to just singing in his final months anyway.

Meg’s contribution as a musician, regardless of her ability, with her band appears to be a lot more sincere and valid and again, fair play to her.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Indeed. I think Lemmy was far more influential as a dinosaur-bassist than Sid.
Them's fight'n words. I think maybe you meant to say "far more influential as a tyrannosaurus of a badass bass player and front-man."
Old 03-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Yeah any link or comparison between Meg to Sid Vicious would be a weak one. Two completely different situations.

Meg’s drumming and her minimised approach to the instrument was important to the overall sound of the White Stripes, without even getting into ability or even why she played like that.

Sid Vicious was not integral to The Sex Pistols sound in anyway shape or form. He was added to the band mostly solely down to his image, didn’t appear on their album, would be turned down at gigs…etc the band was enterly focused on Rotten's vocals, Steve Jones gutair and Paul Cook's drumming.

Two different situations, Sid only picked up the instrument a year or two before passing away, it seems also that playing the bass was only a way in to becoming a ‘Punk icon’ . Then he went back to just singing in his final months anyway.

Meg’s contribution as a musician, regardless of her ability, with her band appears to be a lot more sincere and valid and again, fair play to her.
100% agree, Squad. I'd still like to hear a Pistols mix with Sid as prominent as Meg was in the WS. You could probably use an isolated bass track of Sid's in an experimental piece :)

A bit offtopic but I once did a sound recording a little girl busking on violin. I was hoping to base an experimental piece around it but the street noise was too loud lol