DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 AM

Default Cajon players

I am looking for some advise from all you cajon players out there. I have recently fell in love with what these things can do for an acoustic gig. My questions are......

1. - What are some that sound great in the $100-$175 range?
2. - What is the difference between the Meinl snare cajon vs. the string cajon?

These are the ones I'm looking at so far. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ont?sku=445096

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...jon?sku=445095

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...jon?sku=446837
Old 08-23-2008, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Cajon players

I've played the one with the snares. It sounded really good. Had a really good, low *thump*. It's also good that you can turn them completely off.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:06 PM

Thankyou very much. None of the music stores around here have these different models to try out, so its kinda hard deciding which one to get.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

I have a meinl cajon with the strings/wires. It was $150. I am happy with thhe purchase. It's sounds really good in the right room. At first I didn't like the fact that the wires buzzed a little on the "bass" middle part of the drum, but After a while it wasn't that pronounced, and sounded good.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 AM

I own the Meinl Makah-Burl cajon and I have been very happy with the purchase. To me it seemed to resonate more than the other cajons. It's got a good bass punch a long with a high snare pop. It's all preference, but I would suggest trying to listen to a bunch before purchasing. I play a lot of set and always have, but it's nice to take this little guy with me to smaller gigs. I also play with some flamenco players and the cajon is incorporated a lot into the music. If you're looking for good players, look under flamenco cajon on youtube and you'll find some pretty incredible stuff. Oh, and it sounds INCREDIBLE through a mic and some good EQ.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

The big advantage of the snare models is that you can adjust the snare response, or turn it off completely. I've got a Meinl snare cajon in the mail, I'll let you know.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:11 AM

I have the first one that you posted. I love it, it sounds great, especially in the right room. Very good for little living room jam sessions where you don't feel like being loud.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM

I ended up buying a Meinl snare cajon, and it does sound pretty good. However, I think it could use a little more low end or bass tone.

I'm thinking about switching to either a "fat-congas" cajon or either LP's "Mario Cortes" cajon. Does anyone have any experience or tips concerning these cajons or any other models.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2 View Post
I ended up buying a Meinl snare cajon, and it does sound pretty good. However, I think it could use a little more low end or bass tone.

I'm thinking about switching to either a "fat-congas" cajon or either LP's "Mario Cortes" cajon. Does anyone have any experience or tips concerning these cajons or any other models.
I have a Fat Congas model and it sounds great. Really, they are very simple instruments. I think if you get one from any reputable manufacturer you will have a great instrument.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM

The cajón is the most widely used Afro-Peruvian musical instrument in the 20th century. Slaves of West and Central African origin in the Americas, specifically Peru, are considered to be the source of the cajón drum; though the instrument is common in musical performance throughout the Americas, especially Cuba. In Cuba, the cajón is associated with the Afro-Cuban drum/song/dance style known as rumba, while in Peru it is associated with several Afro-Peruvian genres.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Phoenix flowers cheapest loans casas vilafranca ringtone downloads
Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

I thought I would revive this thread rather than start a new one...

I have been playing cajon in an acoustic group for a while now. I play a Meinl Bass Cajon, one with a pedal that allows you to turn snares on or off. It has a good bass sound, an ok snare sound, and a great slap sound on the corners. I use it mostly to replicate drumset playing, rather than for the "usual" world music or flamenco uses. I play some rock, blues, pop, and even some hip hop on it. It's a great drum, but yesterday...yesterday I fell in love.

I was at the Sam Ash music store in King of Prussia, and they had an LP Mario Cortes cajon. It's smaller than mine, the corners don't have as much slap, and you can't turn the snares off, or even adjust the snares...but despite all of that, it's the greatest cajon I've ever played on. The bass was INSANE. The are of Sam Ash that I was in is a large open room, and I easily filled the whole thing with the sound of it, not even hitting hard. Also, most cajons (in my experience) seem to be unevenly balanced...either you are going to have to hit the snare part harder, or the bass softer, in order for it all to sound even. This was not the case. The Mario Cortes Cajon was perfectly even, loud, and the snare sound was amazing. Amazing. It sounded like a snare drum on a drum kit...not kind of like one, but exactly like one. I was in heaven.

The funny thing is that I have a special custom cajon coming from Sweeden, and even so, my wife said, "Why don't you sell your current cajon and get this one, too? I know you're getting another one, but you have to own this instrument." And I agree.

If you want to play cajon, especially for acoustic rock type performances, I can't recommend the LP Mario Cortes cajon enough. And no, I don't endorse them or anything, I just have never been so blown away by a cajon.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Brand new to this forum, brand new to percussion in gereral. I just took home a meinl cajon.. i think its the lower end one. I get a lot of string resination on the bass. How many times should i wind the back? should i get heavier strings? is it difficult to change them? need advice...
Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 PM

LP Mario Cortes cajons are in my opinion crap. The same with Meinl.
Really nice cajons are made by Schlagwerk, Sela and Pepote (this are the professional ones that I have played so far.
But if you don't need a good instrument or you are satified with that crap... go for the chap stuff.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:17 AM

I am a rock drummer and love my full kit, but I heard my friends band play an accoustic rock gig using a a cajon and I was well impressed so thought it was a good tool to have.

so I have just got a second hand meinl thing covered in camoflage material very cheaply from ebay--and after just a few bashes am loving it. Its great fun and a great way to warm up before a rehearsal.

I have said that if i am still playing it in six months i will treat myself to a decent one--our local drum centre has the normal range, but they also do the Pepote cajons, and they are wonderful--glad to hear from someone who has used them that that is the one to be aiming for.

so question for experianced players. Do you have to sit on them?? I find it more comfortable to sit on a stool and tilt it back towards me.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Today 08:17 AM
grannydrums
Re: Cajon players
I am a rock drummer and love my full kit, but I heard my friends band play an accoustic rock gig using a a cajon and I was well impressed so thought it was a good tool to have.

so I have just got a second hand meinl thing covered in camoflage material very cheaply from ebay--and after just a few bashes am loving it. Its great fun and a great way to warm up before a rehearsal.

I have said that if i am still playing it in six months i will treat myself to a decent one--our local drum centre has the normal range, but they also do the Pepote cajons, and they are wonderful--glad to hear from someone who has used them that that is the one to be aiming for.

so question for experianced players. Do you have to sit on them?? I find it more comfortable to sit on a stool and tilt it back towards me.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingguy View Post
Brand new to this forum, brand new to percussion in gereral. I just took home a meinl cajon.. i think its the lower end one. I get a lot of string resination on the bass. How many times should i wind the back? should i get heavier strings? is it difficult to change them? need advice...
I have never tried changing them... but what I do to get the right sound is just loosen the strings entirely first, then start playing. Tighten the strings more and more until you get a nice sound.

I have a Schlagwerk cajon 'la peru', built in 2001. I bought it used a while ago... it has four strings (actually two, running across the front plate and back again), and some velcro strips that I can use to break contact between the snares and the front plate (don't know whether this is normal for this model or attached by the previous owner). I find mine sounds best with only two strings in direct contact to the front plate.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

i play a popercussion string cajon at my church... i like this string one over the meinl snare one i played... i don't care about turning snares on or off, but overall which sounds more like a drum kit to your ears? to me the string sounded better but i've only heard two (and my drum shop doesn't have cajons with strings or snares, but they recently got a custom company selling theirs there with changeable faceplates that are really cool btw)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM

Hey dc2...

Why not try out the LP - Latin Percussion Mario Cortes Cajon.
I've been using it for 10 years now. They guys I play with say they love the sound and some say they haven't heard better. Its all such a personal preference but do look around. What I look for is that snappy snare sound around the edges and that good bottom end in the middle w/out being too boomy. The one I have is great mic'd with a standard "Boundry MIc" like a inexpensive APEX one.

Hope this helps?? Cheers - Lyndon
Old 05-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I have a Fat Congas model and it sounds great. Really, they are very simple instruments. I think if you get one from any reputable manufacturer you will have a great instrument.
My opinion too; they are pretty simple instruments. Because they are so simple, the differences between them are often not great. I have a Fat Conga and a Schlagwerk. Consider saving a bit more and buying a top of the line, pro quality cajon because it will last forever.

GJS

GJS
Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Hi There,

Check these Cajon videos :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drd9Wl_Cu_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r16xO3cxOs
Old 01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I love my Fattie! Worth every cent too.

GJS
Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 PM

You should check out Kopf Percussion Cajones. They build some really top-shelf cajones.
www.kopfpercussion.com
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Hi all,

Here I play a home made cajon built by a friend of mine. I like its sound best when I play it when it's in the horizontal position but there is also a clip on youtube where I play it in the normal vertical position. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5YKw5ANHaQ

Last edited by yonatan1; 02-23-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM

schlagwerk 2 in 1 cajons like the one in my display picture are really good and are cheaper than the more conventional(and IMO worser sounding) meinl/L cajons. may be hard to get your hands on one depending on where you live
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

And check this one (tho I like my first one more):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUhydLssCnk
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Hello, I am a drummer and woodworker. Frustration with the sound of most of the cajons out there inspired me to make some that are melodic percussion instruments and fine cabinetry. they have a fat sustaining bass and lots of distinct tones. This is a shameless plug but please check them out and let me know what you think. The you tube channel is mediumsizedog. Use decent speakers or headphones. Thanks, MSD.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM

I notice that when everyone talks about cajons, most people reference the Peruvian type.. . . Sam gave a good description of the Cuban variety, of which I am particularly fond of. . . I just wanted to show you guys some pictures of the Cuban variety, and if you are looking for an 808 sound to add to your arsenal, they pack more punch than the Peruvian versions. . .
Attached Images

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-30-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog View Post
Hello, I am a drummer and woodworker. Frustration with the sound of most of the cajons out there inspired me to make some that are melodic percussion instruments and fine cabinetry. they have a fat sustaining bass and lots of distinct tones. This is a shameless plug but please check them out and let me know what you think. The you tube channel is mediumsizedog. Use decent speakers or headphones. Thanks, MSD.
Hey Medium, I was in the same boat that you are in. . . a good Tumba Cajon is very hard to find since fat congas went out of business. . . Kopf percussion makes a solid well made tumba, but it does not have that deep bass note because of it's small size....

I got tired of looking and decided to learn how to work with wood so I can make my own Tumba Cajons. . .

I guess if you are looking for a certain sound, it is easier to make them yourselves than find that special drum with that special sound.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannydrums View Post
I am a rock drummer and love my full kit, but I heard my friends band play an acoustic rock gig using a a cajon and I was well impressed so thought it was a good tool to have.
so question for experienced players. Do you have to sit on them?? I find it more comfortable to sit on a stool and tilt it back towards me.
I also am curious about the sitting issue. I have very bad back issues, and would not be comfortable at all sitting on top of the thing with my back unsupported. Is it possible to tilt it back towards my legs and wheelchair footrests? I can move my feet, it is just difficult, and I could never play a full drum kit both for pain and coordination issues! Hands are fully functional though, so when I saw a cajon for the first time, I LOVED the concept and figured, FINALLY a "kit" I could easily carry and play!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Just my opinion, but I've found that sitting on a folding chair or a drum throne is the way to go for me. First I find that it's a lot more comfortable and two, I get a better sound out of my Koph Cajon it seems that it allows it to resonate or breathe more.

These things are becoming very popular and are a blast to play. I think that because of the cajon the small acoustic bands are becoming more popular. I'm playing in a 3 piece band with a upright bass and acoustic guitar and it seems that club owners, resturants and other places are more willing to hire a small acoustic band. Have fun. John

Last edited by john gerrard; 12-03-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: additions
Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Cajon Players

Hi Everyone,

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting. I did a fair bit of searching around and could not find any forums dedicated to just the Cajon alone. Sure the odd thread will pop up here and on other percussion sites but then would quickly get buried.

So in an attempt to keep all information together I've knocked together the following forum. Please feel free to drop by and share your Cahon knowledge :)

CajonNet
http://cajonnet.freeforums.org
Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Cajon Players

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. In the meantime, I just hit the "Search" link up top and typed in "Cajon"

Cheers!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:36 PM

Don't overlook LP's Aspire Accent Series. It is a sleeper- excellent Bass and snare
due to 3 actual snares. NO buzz and excellent slaps. I tried 7 more expensive ones
out on the floor (must) and they couldn't come close. Add an Audix Mic INSIDE
and an Acoustic 30W amp and it's professional!