DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Pork Pie budget snare.

i'm getting a Pork Pie squealer snare from the U.S. for about 200 $. 100 for the drum and about 100 for shipping and customs. now i realise 100 $ is cheap for a snare but even with the 100 for customs it is still cheaper than if i bought it here in Israel. stuff is expensive here. anyway the squealer is advertised as 300 $ mrsp. so i'm still saving money. thing is the equivalent snare over here is a bottom of the line Mapex so i guess my question is am i getting a "cheap" snare or a good snare at an inexpensive price.how can they sell at 66% off mrsp. and how does Pork Pie stack up against other budget snares. in any case it's got to be better than a practice pad.
13 x 5 birch / mahogany.
cheers!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pork Pie budget snare.

Cheap as it may be, it's still a great snare drum. That's funny how it's cheaper to ship it from the USA than to purchase it in Israel. Go figure...I've always wondered about that because the prices are so competitive over here, and our options are literally endless so the sale prices are amazing sometimes. It can easily negate the huge shipping costs if the deal is good enough. You just gotta hope that whatever you are buying makes it there in one piece. Enjoy!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

It would be hard to go wrong with either snare. Both Pork Pie and Mapex make good snares. Is the Mapex from the MPX line? These are great "bang for your buck" snares. Depending on the price of drum heads over there you can turn most good drums into great ones. How about Sonor? I believe those are still made in Germany. Premier is another possibility. They're based out the UK. It may help with the shipping to have the point of origin in the same basic area as you. Good luck with it! Pads do get montonous after a while.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
They're based out the UK. It may help with the shipping to have the point of origin in the same basic area as you.
Hardly close neighbours really. There's more shipping lines & frequency between the US & Israel than between the UK & Israel. Those factors tend to influence shipping rates as much, if not more, than distance. That, & market prices at point of sale.

Either way, I'd shoot for the Pork Pie :)
Old 11-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Pork Pie arrived...woo hoo !
made a mistake, shipping and customs less than 50 $.
total cost 144 $US.
looks great...i'm off to learn how to tune it. see yaz later.