DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Default perc control anyone?

So, first post in here…

First I am not a drummer, but a keyboard player/singer. I am writing here because my quest involves technology that people like you gentlemen are bound to know best.
The band I play in sometimes needs specific percussion sounds – hand claps for example – which our drummer does not have in his all-acoustic set. In order to bring these sounds into our reach, I am considering two possible avenues:

1) Alesis Percussion Pad (maybe the sampling version?), or

2) a triggering sensor

#1 should be a no-brainer, just buy it and have the drummer playing it on tempo, etc. The sampling version could potentially allow me to load nice samples that I prepare myself into this Alesis Pad (otherwise we’d be limited to whatever preset sounds come in the non-sampling version). One question I meant to ask is whether the non-sampling version of this Alesis perc pad is still able to trigger external sound fonts (for instance my Roland Fantom X7 nice perc sounds) via MIDI, i.e. does the Alesis Perc Pad sport a MIDI OUT port to which it sends the Note-On signals from the drummer actually playing the pads?

Now #2 is totally unknown to me. I am aware that there are thumb-sized triggers that are mountable to acoustic drum elements (a snare, bass drum, etc.) which send a MIDI signal (a Note-On, I hope…) every time that particular drum element is hit. The idea I have is to use such solid, real-time adjusted source of tempo to feed my synthesizer sequencer (again in the Fantom X7) where I’d have a properly set-up sequence and sound font previously loaded so that whatever percussion we need is continually in sync with the drummer’s rhythm. Are such triggers expensive? Do they require a separate “brain” to actually translate the percussive hits into MIDI signals, or are they instead connectable directly to a MIDI IN 5-pin port?

Any comments and suggestions on the two items above will be much appreciated.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: perc control anyone?

Both pads have midi out, so they will trigger another module.

I'd recommend the SamplePad so you can load custom samples (it also has the same 25 internal sounds of the PercPad.) It's the least expensive ($199), simplest way to trigger your own sounds.

Bermuda
Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Both pads have midi out, so they will trigger another module.

I'd recommend the SamplePad so you can load custom samples (it also has the same 25 internal sounds of the PercPad.) It's the least expensive ($199), simplest way to trigger your own sounds.

Bermuda
My issue with the loading of samples into the Alesis Sample Pad is the memory capacity. If the Perc Pad can indeed trigget external sound banks via MIDI I'd prefer that - now I still neet to know if it does so via standard MIDI ports and cable... does it have a regular 5-pin MIDI Out port?

Still I'd be rather interested in learning about the existance of triggers, their format (i.e. MIDI 5-pin models available? require dedicated "brain" or can directly trigger external soundbank module?) and price. If anyone is savvy with this, please share.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The PercPad sends midi via a standard output, and it's $99, the least expensive multi-tigger pad around. There are 4 pads, and one foot trigger input that I imagine could be used with an additional; trigger or pad.

There are pad/trigger midi converters, and then you also need the pads or triggers. Cheap triggers are $20, and you'd also need the converter.

It depends how much versatility and control you need, and how many pads/triggers
you require. If you need more than 5 sounds at a given time, you'll need to go beyond the PercPad. But there are several multipads available from Alesis, Roland, etc.

Bermuda
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The PercPad sends midi via a standard output, and it's $99, the least expensive multi-tigger pad around. There are 4 pads, and one foot trigger input that I imagine could be used with an additional; trigger or pad.

There are pad/trigger midi converters, and then you also need the pads or triggers. Cheap triggers are $20, and you'd also need the converter.

It depends how much versatility and control you need, and how many pads/triggers
you require. If you need more than 5 sounds at a given time, you'll need to go beyond the PercPad. But there are several multipads available from Alesis, Roland, etc.

Bermuda
Hmmm, this is getting interesting...

I thought the trigger option would cost far more. Now I start to consider doing BOTH things: Buying an Alesis Perc Pad for having the drummer triggering with his drumsticks whatever percussion samples I need AND also having a trigger slapped on his bass drum (for example) and feeding "tap tempo" to my synthesizer's sequencer.

You see, the percussion the drummer needs to play is never more than 1 or 2 different sounds per song, so a 4-pad device is more than sufficient. If the trigger is indeed some $20, how much does a converter cost? the converter's output is 5-pin MIDI Out format or something else?

Thanks for your patience with so many questions. You're helping a lot!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

THX Bermuda ! i am just getting into pads / triggering, so great info for this noob. also, re-listening to your podcast off "i'd hit that". changed the way i think about Ludwig, vintage gear & more. great stuff.