DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Craigslist Ad - Take 2

So I'm trying again. Haven't quit the other band but we've got nothing planned for the next month or so, so I said to myself: "self, why don't we look for other options to keep ourselves busy...." And nothing wrong with having more than one project going at the same time, right? The boyfriend has said he wants to play as well so we worked up the ad below and put it out there. It's totally different from the first one and gives specifics of what we're looking for (since I know a little better this time around). I was afraid it was too specific but I've already gotten two replies which I'll respond to in the morning. One seems perfect except they live about 60 miles away which makes logistics a little difficult. The other gave too little information to tell at this point. We'll see what happens. I must be a glutton for punishment.
Here's the ad in case anyone's interested. I know that Magenta was wondering how to word an ad, maybe this will give you some ideas :) Be forewarned...it's a long one!

Steely Dan, Bad Company, Genesis, Jeff Beck
[/i]s this the kind of music you're into? If so, we're looking for people to jam with/possibly form a classic rock cover band/and occasionally do a gig.. Who are "we"? Male bass player - 50 something; female drummer - 40 something, some experience with garage bands and minor gigging. Who are we looking for? Guitarist, possibly keyboardist and vocalist. Age, sex doesn't matter as long as you're into 60's, 70's and even some 80's rock. Classic rock, progressive rock, blues -if you're into it, that's who we're looking for. We are willing to explore other genres but mainly want to stay in this area. Skill level - doesn't matter. If you've got a lot we're willing to learn from you. If you're a newer player we just ask that you're willing to put in the time and effort to improve and are willing to take constructive criticism from others. We are looking for quality not quantity; musicality is more important than decibel levels. If you have a decent sized place to practice - that's a plus. We have one but while it's functional it's very small. Also weekend availability a major plus as we have jobs and occasional weekday evenings may be possible but weekends are best. Perfect opportunity for middle-aged rockers looking to get back into a band situation after time off to raise families, live life, etc. Basically we just want to get together with others who enjoy playing good music. Sound like what you're looking for? Contact us!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Craigslist Ad - Take 2

Subscribed and watching with enormous interest!

As says everything it needs to say, as far as I can tell.

Looking forward to the first gig report for Band 2, Mary.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Reads well to me Mary. Do you already have vocal ability between you & your BF? Just that I notice you place vocalist in the "possibly" category alongside keyboard player.

My only other concern is, will your existing band see the ad? Is that something you've factored in?

As always, good luck girl! :)
Old 06-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post

My only other concern is, will your existing band see the ad? Is that something you've factored in?

As always, good luck girl! :)
Actually it won't bother me too much if they do. They can't really say much since they've gotten a couple of gigs as a duo by answering Craigslist ads since we've been together as a band. So they are doing other things on the side without me as well. As long as it doesn't interfere with any gigs or anything our band may do, then I don't see where they can say much about it. And they are doing the duo gigs under our band name which I wouldn't be doing. This would be a totally separate project. If this leads to something that works out then I may have a choice to make.

Also by putting those particular band names in the title, I doubt the one who actually uses Craiglist will open up the ad...definitely not her kind of music. It's another reason I want to do this...to play music that I actually enjoy. I'm not a big country or pop fan and that's what I'm playing a lot of right now :(.

If worse comes to worse and they do see it and it ticks them off, so be it. I won't be shedding too many tears if I have to give them up. Guess I'll just play it by ear and see what happens :)
Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Mary, do you have a Bandmix page?
I have had really good results from having one.
Craigs isn't really happening anymore. At least not in my area.
I use the basic free Bandmix portfolio and I wait to be contacted by other musicians.
I am currently playing in three bands because of Bandmix.
I auditioned for 6 bands during the past three years from Bandmix inquiries.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Good ad, I reckon, Mary, and one I may well borrow if I may!

Are you on Facebook? I joined a page for musicians in my local area, put a short ad (that James wrote for me) and literally within seconds I found a bass player.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)