DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Jammin' Jamin 2112

Default If Buddy Rich were alive today, could he win the WFD competition?

I'm not trolling; this is a legitimate question. Go to 2:51 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53cxG...eature=related and watch the speed of his fastest single roll and how long he's able to sustain it. If that roll alone would win the World's Fastest Drummer competition, consider this: (1) Buddy Rich claimed to have hardly practiced, so he could surely play faster by putting in hours of practice every day; (2) he could play those even faster if he wasn't also trying to hit the snare so hard.

Discuss.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: If Buddy Rich were alive today, could he win the WFD competition?

I don't think so as he would be really old and I doubt his hands would be at the same speed. However if you mean a young Buddy somehow then yeah he would definitely have a shot, he had ridiculously fast hands.

I want to talk more about that sweet lick at around 0:53. So badass.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Of course. He's Buddy Rich. He's Superman.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 AM

Buddy was fast, but that's not the only thing that made him great. I think he'd be judgmental of a competition that only judged speed.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 AM
plangentmusic

For flat out speed, there are guys faster. For using speed to play musically and creatively...there aren't too many mere mortals who could top Buddy in his prime.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think you're trolling, but I'm not sure true musicians would really have anything good to say about a competition that celebrates speed for the sake of speed. I appreciate how the WFD people can move their sticks at mind-bending rates, but in the end the folks who did that really well still have to be able to play with and for the band, making the music come alive, and that's what Buddy (and all the other greats) did.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 AM

To be fair to WFD, as Johnny Rabb said about it, it is only a bit of fun. You can't really be judgemental of something that people do for fun, not claiming that it is some exercise in high musicality
Old 07-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

If Buddy Rich were alive today, he would be 95 years old (this September). I doubt if he would be the world's fastest drummer.

GJS
Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Regardless of how fast he could play, I'd bet there's no way he'd participate. He'd be one of the guys saying it's a meaningless waste of time. Would he ever submit to being measured and judged? Can't imagine it.

And I don't know that I'd phrase the question as "if here were still alive" but rather, "in his prime." He'd be 95 if still alive.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Well Buddy being Buddy,although one of the best that ever lived,was also opinionated,judgemental,and basicly set in his ways.He even went as far as saying the ONLY proper way to play,was to use traditional grip.He termed it,"the drum way",and scoffed at those who used matched grip.

So I don't think he would acknowledge the WFD as anything but BS.He didn't have much reguard for younger players,save but a few,like Bobby Columby,and Danny Seraphine.

Having said that,and having seen him play live and his many vids,even in his 50's,I think if Buddy was publicly challenged,he would compete.I believe that he would also win.I have seen a few solo's that he played,and his speed in playing singles was just breath taking.So clean and even,it sounded like a machine.

But if he were alive today?No...no human could,not even Buddy.

Steve B
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

I suspect not, but he was a drummer. I don't really consider WFD to be drumming. Or rather, it's drumming in the same way that this: is a car.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Practicing hard to do 100m sprints in 10 or so seconds is quite stupitd, too. And there are even people who are dedicating their lives to do "achievements" in this area. Some are even so stupid as to participate in championships or in the Olympic Games, become world record holders etc. While you could of course save yourself all that trouble and just have a relaxed walk through your city - no sweat, no records.

I see some sense in WFD. Sure it's not for everybody - but what is? You just have to apply that "it's not music" perspective. But it is clearly drumming - the motions are the same. It is elements of drumming (motions you need to drum) but cleared up of all rhythmic aspects, just rolls. That's one-dimensional but surely drumming - in a basic understanding. Most WFD disciplines are the first of all rudiments - the single stroke roll. Is this not an element of drumming? Apparently, for some of us - no.

I think part of the problem some (maybe many) people have with WFD is - let's be frank - pure envy. They simply don't come even close what some WFD athletes can do. Not everybody was born to achieve things like that, accept this. But some see some sense/have fun participating it and following a competition idea. There's competition in life everywhere - why not use a competitive mindset and combine it with what is fun to you (to some of us) - drumming - and bring it to a new level which has never been there on earth - creating disciplines, setting records, competing with others?

Achieving good WFD results is certainly quite some achievement, and you need utmost dedication and discipline (no, talent alone won't get you anywhere but might be a good start to build from) to "make it". But as said - it's for the tiny fraction selected by nature and their mindset, not for all of us. That's fine.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Jammin' Jamin 2112

(1) I meant "If Buddy Rich were in his prime"

(2) Whether he would elect the compete is beyond the point. I asked, "Could he?"

(3) I agree that lots of "drumming" today is taken to be an extreme sport and that WFD is not a test of musical talent.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Practicing hard to do 100m sprints in 10 or so seconds is quite stupitd, too. And there are even people who are dedicating their lives to do "achievements" in this area. Some are even so stupid as to participate in championships or in the Olympic Games, become world record holders etc. While you could of course save yourself all that trouble and just have a relaxed walk through your city - no sweat, no records.

I see some sense in WFD. Sure it's not for everybody - but what is? You just have to apply that "it's not music" perspective. But it is clearly drumming - the motions are the same. It is elements of drumming (motions you need to drum) but cleared up of all rhythmic aspects, just rolls. That's one-dimensional but surely drumming - in a basic understanding. Most WFD disciplines are the first of all rudiments - the single stroke roll. Is this not an element of drumming? Apparently, for some of us - no.

I agree with that. I think what makes people object to it though is the idea of taking a musical trait and turning it into a competition. That in itself is a bit egregious simply because it IS NOT a sport. It's a tool of art. And unfortunately, drummers tend to be most guilty of it because so much of what they do requires physical technique. Having said that, hey, why not? But as you said, remember what it is. And it ain't music.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Hi, I can't believe that I am looking at a drum forum for the first time in two years and land at this topic. I had the good fortune of knowing Mr. Rich and played with him on the times when he so allowed. Not only was he the most exciting drummer I ever heard he was also the most competitive. I was on several clinics where he was mc and the most commonly asked question was always was he the fastest drummer to which he replied yes. So I do believe he thought about this and that it was something he was proud to say. As for WFD I got to watch it a lot during the years my son Matt was involved and never saw the problem. It was something fun to be around and the contests were very entertaining. I also got to know Boo McAfee and count him as a friend. If I'm not mistaken Boo started WFD based on an argument he witnessed between Buddy and Barrett Deems as they publicly argued about who was the fastest. Barrett used to call himself the worlds fastest drummer and Buddy replied "Then what machine did you use to figure that out." So there was definitely something there. In my opinion Buddy was the fastest and Matt agrees with that. Would he have competed? Who knows? But I do believe he would have tried a drumometer and would have settled the point once and for all. I also think he could have done that and separated the exercise from the music he played as have most of the kids I've seen do it. I further know that Louie Bellson enjoyed discussing speed. To people who play all the time I don't think these issues are such a big deal. If you want to see craziness watch a group of excellent trumpet players goof around with high notes. It's the same thing and has nothing to do with what they perform on a gig. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Anthony Amodeo

to the contrary of what most of you are saying I think this might be something Buddy may have jumped at in his young prime....heck even middle aged Buddy

the man was fueled by competitive juices and despised any attempt at upping him or incident where he came across as anything but absolutely superb

check out any of the hundred videos of him playing with another drummer......he will never ever EVER let them show him up....it's seems when they don't even attempt to up him....Buddy takes it as a challenge

a perfect example is Buddy and Bellson on the Tonight Show......even a good friend.... Buddy proceeds to floor him when Louie displays some challenging chops

this WFD is all about the challenge right?

I personally think this might be something Buddy may have done if feeling challenged in his prime......he would probably claim "all in good fun"...but I bet you deep down inside his hunger and competitive nature would want to win the damn thing

tell me Buddy doesn't get competitive here and I'll eat my socks....he even starts to play right over Louie toward the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8dAmTbBMw
Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
But it is clearly drumming - the motions are the same.
Not really. I've never seen this technique used anywhere else. It's useless for anything but winning the contest.

Quote:
It is elements of drumming (motions you need to drum) but cleared up of all rhythmic aspects, just rolls. That's one-dimensional but surely drumming - in a basic understanding. Most WFD disciplines are the first of all rudiments - the single stroke roll. Is this not an element of drumming?
The single stroke roll is a musical technique, and has nothing to do with absolute speed. It's completely governed by the instrument it's played upon, and the texture, tone and dynamics required of/desired by the musician. I think all drummers work on absolute speed to some degree, but making that the only consideration is to me a little bit of a perversion.

Quote:
I think part of the problem some (maybe many) people have with WFD is - let's be frank - pure envy. They simply don't come even close what some WFD athletes can do.
That's an easy claim to make-- you certainly hear it a lot, and it demonstrates the flimsiness of the justification for the thing. If there were stronger affirmative reasons for it there wouldn't be a need to question the motives of people with reservations about it. Not that there needs to be justification for it-- people are free to do whatever they want, just as I am free to think what I think about it.

Last edited by toddbishop; 07-01-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
to the contrary of what most of you are saying I think this might be something Buddy may have jumped at in his young prime....heck even middle aged Buddy

the man was fueled by competitive juices and despised any attempt at upping him or incident where he came across as anything but absolutely superb

check out any of the thousand videos of him playing with another drummer......he will never ever EVER let them show him up

a perfect example is Buddy and Bellson on the Tonight Show......even a good friend.... Buddy proceeds to floor him when Louie displays some challenging chops

so I personally think this might be something Buddy may have done if feeling challenged in his prime......he would probably claim "all in good fun"...but I bet you deep down inside his hunger and competitive nature would want to win the damn thing

tell me Buddy doesn't get competitive here and I'll eat my socks....he even starts to starts play right over Louie toward the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR8dAmTbBMw
I knew Louie very well. He was maybe the kindest most giving person I've ever known in the music business. He also understood the show business part of his profession in that he would have pulled back just a bit to let Buddy shine on his own spot. I have seen that segment many times and believe that Louie was merely playing the role of a set up man so that Buddy could have the place expected of the people who booked that segment. Buddy on the other hand would never have done that for Louie but would have told anyone later how much he loved Louie as a musician. Let's just say Buddy was complicated. As a technician Louie was about as close to identical to Buddy as any two drummers could be. The difference was that Buddy had a kind of crazy electricity to his playing that I've never heard from anyone else. I don't know how you practice such a thing except to simply be born with it.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I just wanted to extend my highest regard to you and your fine son Mr. Smith. He talked about you in nothing but glowing tones and reverence. It's an honor to hear your particular experiences with that generation of players, something that is becoming rarer and rarer as time goes on. Give Matt our best please.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I just wanted to extend my highest regard to you and your fine son Mr. Smith. He talked about you in nothing but glowing tones and reverence. It's an honor to hear your particular experiences with that generation of players, something that is becoming rarer and rarer as time goes on. Give Matt our best please.
Thank you very much for saying those nice things, especially about Matt. But I'm just in my 50s so I don't think I'm that old. It was just that I started very young with those players having been 20 when I hooked up with Buddy in what could only have been called a chance first meeting, that started after Buddy had been sitting in at a Bourbon Street club with my own father and Matt's grandfather. Later that night I ended up at a club where Buddy was playing and two of the trombone players showed up drunk. That all kind of triggered the beginning of that adventure that was off and on for a few months afterwards. Thanks so much.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Larry said it perfectly. I feel the same way, Mr. Smith.

Please do send our best to Matt. We miss his contributions around here.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsdad View Post
Thank you very much for saying those nice things, especially about Matt. But I'm just in my 50s so I don't think I'm that old. It was just that I started very young with those players having been 20 when I hooked up with Buddy in what could only have been called a chance first meeting, that started after Buddy had been sitting in at a Bourbon Street club with my own father and Matt's grandfather. Later that night I ended up at a club where Buddy was playing and two of the trombone players showed up drunk. That all kind of triggered the beginning of that adventure that was off and on for a few months afterwards. Thanks so much.
Funny, I'm in my 50's too, that really puts things in perspective. Matt musically is so far ahead for his years so even though I know he's a young man, I look upon him as way more experienced, which skews reality into thinking you're in your 80's or something.

You are a bit of a throwback yourself no? We're roughly the same age and I never even heard jazz until I was in my 30's. Different environments?

BTW, if you're inclined, I know for sure that there's tons of regulars here, myself included, who would salivate at every (safe lol) inside story you could throw our way regarding things that happened to you in your travels. Matt is an icon here, so that makes you even larger, the way he talked about you, so it would be a bit of a legacy thing here. Am I being persuavsive enough lol?

Not trying to put you on the spot, I'm just not sure you know how highly regarded you are here. As far as I'm concerned, because of Matt, you're a bit of a legend here.

I do admire the environment that Matt was brought up in. It allowed him to fully realize his potential. Not taking anything away from him, but if his parents scoffed at music and pushed for a "regular" career, would Matt be where he is today?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

I'll second this for sure
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

^ This x100!! ....

As to the original question, Assuming Buddy in prime, then I think Gvdadrummasum nailed it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
audiotech

To me there is no question about, Buddy would nail it if all things were equal. Buddy did his exceptional playing on real drums, not some pads with triggers. There is quite a bit of difference in feel between the two.

I have a lot of great stories concerning Buddy Rich, but they're all second hand through his drum tech that he employed in the seventies.

Dennis
Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
That's an easy claim to make-- you certainly hear it a lot, and it demonstrates the flimsiness of the justification for the thing.
Just an assertion or two before bowing out. If I were an excellent young player just starting out now I would be very frustrated. At present there is close to nothing for those kids to do especially if they want to anchor their careers in jazz. There's no real laboratory now for them to try out new things and get the proper seasoning to become marks in the industry. My adventures getting in with guys like Buddy and others would be impossible now. Mine was the last generation to profit from the older system. Nowadays I sometimes have no idea what is going on and wonder why anyone would stay in it unless they're already here. With that said, I do know one thing and it's something I've tried to get across to Matt from the beginning. If you're going to make it in the music business now you have to have something that identifies you from other people. In my case I go to different countries establishing jazz studies programs in those cultures. It's what I'm best known for, meaning that when people desire something like that then I'm the one who is called. As time went on I learned to make a living from that. When Matt found out he was a fast drummer in my view he would have been crazy to have walked away from that. So now for better or worse that's one of the hooks Matt uses and I'm proud that he figured out one. When Matt decided to become involved in those WFD events there were many discussions about the potential blow back, but none of us was prepared for the viciousness we witnessed over the years. When I first saw Matt's You Tube comments I was shocked, but then understood where all that was coming from.

Having made a living in music for the past thirty-five years, I know how this game is played from both young and old alike. When you become known for something it is human nature to form camps on both sides of the equation for any number of reasons. As I have explained to my kid, some of those things are justified some not. I also used to scratch my head at some of those WFD people who did nothing but play with Boo's drumometer, but I learned early on they were not the good players the event was known for. I also know that many well known musicians will say one thing in public and actually feel another way in private. A few years ago, we had to change our telephone number because of the threatening phone calls we got over a name drummer who said negative things about Matt because Matt honestly spoke his mind about some secondary motives he knew were true in relation to this man's viewpoint about speed drumming issues. I also know that when you get a place at the table you're not so inclined to defer to something you think might take money out of your pocket later. So if not jealousy, the issue of industry posturing is certainly always there. As I have already said, I don't think there are that many full time musicians who don't have a personal stake in speed or high notes who care about any of this one way or the other except to know that it exists. But I think it is safe to say the general public does consider this part of the equation and full time professional musicians know this is true. So if you are of a disposition to be so inclined you will behave accordingly. I say this not to pass judgement on your comment because I know many share it in a sincere way. But I also think the issue holds to it more thanmeets the eye with some people

I will pass along everyone's best wishes to Matt. It was a pleasure to speak to all of you.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsdad View Post
Having made a living in music for the past thirty-five years, I know how this game is played from both young and old alike. When you become known for something it is human nature to form camps on both sides of the equation for any number of reasons. As I have explained to my kid, some of those things are justified some not. I also used to scratch my head at some of those WFD people who did nothing but play with Boo's drumometer, but I learned early on they were not the good players the event was known for. I also know that many well known musicians will say one thing in public and actually feel another way in private. A few years ago, we had to change our telephone number because of the threatening phone calls we got over a name drummer who said negative things about Matt because Matt honestly spoke his mind about some secondary motives he knew were true in relation to this man's viewpoint about speed drumming issues. I also know that when you get a place at the table you're not so inclined to defer to something you think might take money out of your pocket later. So if not jealousy, the issue of industry posturing is certainly always there. As I have already said, I don't think there are that many full time musicians who don't have a personal stake in speed or high notes who care about any of this one way or the other except to know that it exists. But I think it is safe to say the general public does consider this part of the equation and full time professional musicians know this is true. So if you are of a disposition to be so inclined you will behave accordingly. I say this not to pass judgement on your comment because I know many share it in a sincere way. But I also think the issue holds to it more than meets the eye with some people
It may, I can only speak for myself. The WFD enterprise doesn't mean enough to me to be very for or against it, but when it's put in front of me on the Internet I'll comment on it. I don't agree that it is a particularly significant phenomenon, among musicians or the general public-- we're not talking the second coming of the Beatles here-- maybe I'm not following your point there, though? It's certainly not an extreme position, though-- or suggestive of hidden motives-- to have serious reservations about it what it means for drumming as an art form.

Regardless, I'm no purist when it comes to survival, and everyone needs to make the most of their own strengths to make a living in this business. If Matt or anyone else can use WFD to promote their career-- or to just earn a regular paycheck-- somehow, they should absolutely do it. In the end, we're all minstrels, and we can be forced to embrace some pretty silly stuff to make our way.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Renegade

Add another who misses Matt. Almost every long post he made I either learnt something or had assumptions challenged.

I've enjoyed a couple of WFD YouTubes - it's eye-boggling. For perspective, I'd probably struggle to win the womens' Suburb's Fastest Drummer let alone WFD ...

Re: Buddy - Anthony's guess sounds plausible to me.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 AM

I would say when Buddy Rich was at his prime, then yes, he could have had a chance to win an event. I was fortunate enough last year to go over to the summer NAMM in Nashville and compete in a WFD event and won! - yes I did train for it and yes I'm also a drumset player and play live week In week out. For us WFD guys, there is a time and place to what we do with the sticks. People really need to let go of the debates and really understand that this is not a musical event and was/is never intended to be. It is a lot of fun and Last year, musicians of many categories came out and tried the drumometer and they LOVED IT! Not one negative thing was said, it's a pure test of skill and endurance and as mentioned above, only a few can do what we do at the intensity.

I met Tom and Matt Smith also and they are some of the greatest bunch of blokes I've met, I still keep in contact with them, and as they assured me, I'll assure you that there is nothing wrong with being apart of the WFD. Winning this event did a world of good for me, I got to meet editors and writers from various drum magazines and got interviews, I got television interview, I got to meet the wonderful people at Pearl, more drumming work came my way and I got a charity event using the drumOmeter, a dollar for every stroke donated and last year I raised $1500 with the support of people.

Every bit of competition evolved from something, man is naturally competitive. Just read up on the origins of soccer and you'll see.. Cars are a mean of transport, but they are involved in competitive racing aren't they? And there's nothing wrong with that, there's a certain skill required to drive that car quicker and harder than its intended to and there are only a few that can do it. Same goes for the WFD, it's an event taken from a form of drumming and turned into a competitive sport, believe me it is intense. Why do people run for 50km's?? Because they can. Why do I Blast a single stroke roll for 60 seconds? Because I can.

The drumometer can also be used as an educational tool for reading and timing and works wonders for me. I know I've played more or less notes than I needed to when reading of a sheet of a rudiment score.
Check Matt out using the EPro and you'll see the benefits :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKFh...e_gdata_player

Keep drummin,
Joey
Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Founder WFD

Awesome thread! So wonderful to see some of the WFD Family. You guys know you should be getting your rest because WFD World Finals 2012 is next week right? :)

Would Buddy or Wouldn't Buddy? or If Buddy did what would he score? Who's faster Buddy or Barrett? These are there of the unanswered questions that have surrounded WFD from 1976 till this thread and this day........

I have been asked countless times, "Do you think Buddy would have participated in WFD? My answer is "Buddy did participate in WFD!" If not for Mr. Rich there would not have ever been a WFD! :)

Here is one of many WFD videos gone viral that tells a couple stories: 1 it tells of how Mr. Rich and Mr. Deems ‘participation’ in inspiring a young kid to work most of his life to create a crazy device and wacky sport called Drumometer and WFD. 2. The video itself tells a much larger story in the fact that it has received over 2 million views, thousands of minute by minute comments, over 10,000 likes and dislikes tied and has become it’s own game. I have always said “50% love WFD, 50% hate WFD, BUT all 100% show up to the FIGHT!”

WFD Viral Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmxs...3&feature=plcp

I’ve been wanting to talk with renown Jazz professor Tom Smith (matt’s dad) and Bernhard Castiglioni (DW founder) abut doing a submission type campaign/project to solve some of the lingering and haunting WFD unanswered questions. #1 being who was faster Buddy or Barrett? We can do a submission from DW members as to submitting a wav file from recording of what they think is Buddy’s fastest single stroke roll and Barrett’s fastest single stroke. We then take those two samples into pro-tools, soundforge, Qbass etc and then play back into the Drumometer for their scores similar to what we did in this video with WFD Champ Matt Smith at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOKFh...2&feature=plcp

Then of course we can take other drum recordings and answer other speed related questions.

Bernhard, Tom ? You guys in or what? We need an media outlet to gather the submissions and a legit educational authority to over see and validated etc.... Once the fastest of both are selected WFD organization will input into sound/audio program and run through Drumometer and finally answer this almighty question………..

Bernhard, Tom ?

Boo
Ps sorry for the lengthy ramble but I don’t get in her as often as I’d like so I have to get my monies worth…..:)

Last edited by Boo; 07-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.