Football v American Football

Football ... Cheerleaders. Good stuff.​
Soccer ... topless chicks that paint their upper bodies Team Colors/Country Flags. Good stuff.​
Other than that, both sports are a colossal waste of money and time.​

Harry...you're the best. Amen, Hallelujah, and thanks again.

First of all American Football is brutal. Even with the Pads because no other sport are there 300lb men running 4.5 speed into each other head first. So please do not think it's wimpy because of the Pads. No other sport is this brutal, including rugby.

Are you sure about rugby being less brutal? It's also big guys running into each other, but without the pads.

I have honestly tried to watch soccer and I just don't get it and never will. Boring IMO

I'm with you there. Well I enjoy the world cup sometimes, but the Netherlands never really get anywhere (best they did in the past decade or two is a fourth position in the world cup, I believe). And I get sick of these so-called athletes falling over and pretending to be in agonising pain as soon as someone as much as touches their leg or knee.
I also believe soccer has the most violent following. Not all soccer fans are like that obviously, but some people get really violent over "losing" a game that they didn't play in and probably couldn't play in.
I once was in a train with some soccer hooligans... looked like a bunch of monkeys on red bull. Idiots...
And I once lived near a soccer stadium. My then-housemates had lived there longer and actually witnessed a riot going down there. Riot police would come in with buses (and on horses)... they saw one riot police bus accidently deliberately hit a group of hooligans. Go riot police :D

Football ... Cheerleaders. Good stuff.​
Soccer ... topless chicks that paint their upper bodies Team Colors/Country Flags. Good stuff.​
Other than that, both sports are a colossal waste of money and time.​

Bam! Wise words!

What's this??? four players on one team wearing helmets?? Oh my. I thought they were tough guys??

Attachments

• BATH BUSA RUGBY FINAL_A9E4C.jpg
    BATH BUSA RUGBY FINAL_A9E4C.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 227
Yea, But they're thin helmets! LOL
I think that I see shoulder pads on a few of the players also.
Perhaps they have some self preservation instincts after all!
It would be nice to retire from a Rugby career with a functioning brain I guess! that way you can become a commentator and still make some ching!

Last edited:
Seem inseperable in terms of their entertainment value - both games are capable of being either deathly dull or very exciting, or more usually a mix of the two.
I do think the world would be a better place with a competitive US Cricket team though.

Our cricket players would want to use steroids however and bring shame to the game.

Our cricket players would want to use steroids however and bring shame to the game.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, so true.

I believe curling has a better chance of catching on here than cricket... Although I would like to learn more about cricket, I never really gave that game any chance due to my love for Baseball.

Real quick on the Rugby-A Football thing. Sports science did a compare and a rugby hit is different than a football hit due to the pads. Can't remember but I think the football hit was harder and the force of the hit was spread out more due to the pads. The rugby hit was more concentrated on one point. This was comparing open field hits I think, not the hits in American Football where the lineman are few inches from each other and collide on every play. Both are tough sports, but I think American football is the most violent sport in the world. Look at the number of deaths and the length of the average pro football career. Very short.

As for soccer vs football - Football is way better and more entertaining, although I think some of the criticisms of it are valid. Like many others mentioned, at least US Football is not filled with a bunch of ham actors diving to get yellow cards.

American football can be too complicated though. Ever try explaining it to someone who's never watched? Not too easy. Even us Yanks who have watched it all our lives are unclear on the rules sometimes. remember the "You make the call" commercials?

imo, Soccer offsides ruins the game and makes it too defensive. They barely ever even get a shot on goal. Change that somehow and get rid of the diving and you might have something.

Doesn't really matter though. Hockey is better than all of them anyway!

What's this??? four players on one team wearing helmets?? Oh my. I thought they were tough guys??
It's mainly to protect the ears. You know, from being torn off. It's a common injury in rugby. They also protect from lacerations, but that's about it.
"Head injuries range from superficial facial and scalp lacerations, and broken noses to severe concussions. Some researchers have reported that they account for over 20% of all Rugby Union injuries."
"A statistical survey found that 20% of all rugby injuries result in concussions."

(For comparison, the most common injury in American football is knee injury, with about 20% of all injuries being to the knee.)

Also, in rugby, when whoever's with the ball goes down, the play doesn't stop. To the contrary, the opposing players have the right to kick the snot out of him as long as he still holds the ball. The scrums are by no means innocent either - facial and ear injuries (cauliflower ears) as well as shoulder injuries are pretty often in scrums.

It's simply different kinds of brutal.

Doesn't really matter though. Hockey is better than all of them anyway!

Amen. Hockey and Rally ftw. However, of all the sports in the world, soccer and american football are among the most exciting sports. I mean comeon, baseball? basketball? golf? Really? I've fallen asleep at baseball games.

It would be nice to retire from a Rugby career with a functioning brain I guess! that way you can become a commentator and still make some ching!

Since when do you need a functioning brain to be a commentator?

I would still argue the more skillful part. Until you have played a little AF, and gotten the snot knocked out of you WITH pads on, your opinion is unfounded and doesn't hold much water. And until the diving stops no one will want to watch the phony acts put on by such SKILLED players. LOL

Yes but i have seen plenty of Diving in AF.. v

I agree with this statement. I'm American and I HATE AF. One thing I hate about it so much is "the fans". I love hearing a guy say "We won,we won!". I think to myself "Wow I didn't see you on the field anywhere"? It's about as thrilling to watch as Nascar. I played soccer when I was younger but never actually watched a game. Rugby..never watched a game either but from little things I have seen it looks pretty brutal. Boxing...now that's a brutal sport!

What do fans or other people have to do with your ability to watch a game? And there's a reason there's a term "soccer hooligans", soccer(football) fans are a lot more fanatic than American fans IMO.

Nor are you trying to. So what's the point of this thread?

The point in this thread, is that it is a topic that I THOUGHT WAS DIFFERENT, i put it on so that people who find it interesting can reply, and people do and have.

If you dont see the point in this thread, why reply to it ..

I still don't see the point of this thread either.
Different people like different sports. It may be a culture thing, It may be a personal thing.
Whatever!
I myself like Skiing, Tennis and Golf. I dabble in American Football and Baseball. That's Me, So what!
Some people like Metal music, Some like Pop, Country, Classical, or Jazz. Different strokes for different folks!
I can't see comparing Football to American Football.
What is the point? What will be learned?
The only thing that will happen is what has already happened. Stupid arguments will ensue about what sport is tougher, faster, Etc!

Back