Another singing vid...

MaryO

Platinum Member
Since I'm not drumming in this one, I thought I would post it in the off-topic lounge. I am sitting at my drums however :) Why? 1 - I can hide; 2 - it's where I'm most comfortable; 3 - it's where my equipment is at...lol. Anyways, don't worry, I haven't given up my drumming it's just that none of my songs where I'm drumming and singing are ready for public consumption yet...but I'm working on it...a lot! It's getting a little easier but still lots of work to do to get comfortable doing both. I'm loving it though and I have to say that doing both has improved my skills somewhat. Singing seems to help my drumming and vice-versa.

In the meantime...this is just one I did tonight. It's a song called Second Chance by Shinedown. Still a little rough around the edges and there's a slight mess up at the end but all-in-all I like where it's headed. Listen if you're so inclined :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202148696032421&l=7882835970984560062

That is VERY good. The song suits you and you sing with conviction - I am massively impressed! Did you use to sing before you ever played drums?

The only thing I would say, Mary, is that while I appreciate you're most comfortable behind your kit, I would like to see you perform. It seems a bit of a waste to have you hidden, frankly.

Thanks, Madge. No, I didn't sing before...never thought I could. The boyfriend was the one who said I should try. I find it's a matter of finding the right kind of song to fit my voice. I stay behind the kit mostly because I do want to do both with most songs eventually so I'm usually working on my drumming while singing. Perhaps I'll get out from behind for one or two at some point, though.

It's better than the previous clips Mary, as with the drums you keep improving, I liked it.

I also discovered the song... which is nice, some serious drumming in that song, especially the big fill at the end... but you knew that, didn't you :)

It's better than the previous clips Mary, as with the drums you keep improving, I liked it.

I also discovered the song... which is nice, some serious drumming in that song, especially the big fill at the end... but you knew that, didn't you :)

Yep :). And I've been working on the drum part ( especially that tricky little bass line) for what Do You Want From Me. I have both the drumming and singing working...just not together. Lol. Once I get them both going simultaneously, I'll post.

Mary I like your singing! You have what it takes. I like the sound of your voice, and you have some soul in there! You can really hold a note too. I like your vibrato. You really should keep developing your voice because it's worth doing, you definitely have the raw material and a good feel on top of that. I hear some passion in there. Way 2 go gurl!

Great job, Mary! You have a really nice voice. As Larry said, lots of soul. Keep it up.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm not qualified to judge anyone on their singing....

It seems that getting singing validation from drummers is analogous to getting drumming validation from singers..while there might be some nice comments, I don't think one is going to get the real constructive criticism one needs...or any feedback that might promote growth

I would put this on a singing forum...or if you have a vocal coach show it to them where you can get some real useful feedback. For instance a vocal coach may tell you that you are a natural singer and that could drive you even harder...or they might tell you where you need improvement and give you some exercises.

This here is just a feel good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a much better singer than you think you are!

If you're having difficulty with getting your breathing right (in terms of timing) it helps to have a lyric sheet (or sheet music) and making marks at the end of phrases. I used to do this when I was in choirs. In most 'popular' music, the phrasing is straightforward but it definitely helps to get into the habit of knowing where you're going to be taking breaths.

That was really good.You have a singular voice that will only get better.I think taking a few vocal lessons, would really help you develop that voice .You got the goods kid.

Steve B

I thought that this sounded really good. I know nothing about singing but I know when a voice makes me sit up and pay attention. If this song is any indication I really think you have what it takes to be a lead singer.

Wow, thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm not ready to give up my drums for sure but I'm hoping that in looking for a new band this will widen our chances of finding people to play with. I don't want to do lead vocals all of the time but wouldn't mind sharing the duties in a band. I still want to be able to rock out on the drums on a few songs which means no singing for those. We are putting out a new ad this weekend looking for band mates so it's nice to be able to add this skill to our list.

It seems that getting singing validation from drummers is analogous to getting drumming validation from singers..while there might be some nice comments, I don't think one is going to get the real constructive criticism one needs...or any feedback that might promote growth

I would put this on a singing forum...or if you have a vocal coach show it to them where you can get some real useful feedback. For instance a vocal coach may tell you that you are a natural singer and that could drive you even harder...or they might tell you where you need improvement and give you some exercises.

Drummers might not be able to tell a singer what to do differently, just as singers might not be able to tell a drummer what to do differently.

But a drummer knows when singing sounds good, just as a singer knows when drumming sounds good (or bad).

On top of that, there are many multi-instrumentalists around here, and almost certainly some suitably qualified singing types.

Speak for yourself mate. I was a serious singer for a long time, I'm sure there are plenty of other singers on this board. Mary can post this wherever she wants it without her motivations being questioned.

Speak for yourself mate. I was a serious singer for a long time, I'm sure there are plenty of other singers on this board. Mary can post this wherever she wants it without her motivations being questioned.

Drummers might not be able to tell a singer what to do differently, just as singers might not be able to tell a drummer what to do differently.

But a drummer knows when singing sounds good, just as a singer knows when drumming sounds good (or bad).

On top of that, there are many multi-instrumentalists around here, and almost certainly some suitably qualified singing types.

Thank you, fellas :).

I did speak for myself....and you spoke for yourself, no worries..now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head over to my favorite guitar forum and post some drumming videos for public consumption and to get some validation and warm fuzzies.....I'm sure someone on there can tell me how I play top heavy and help me out....or maybe they will direct me to a drumming forum.

I did speak for myself....and you spoke for yourself, no worries..now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head over to my favorite guitar forum and post some drumming videos for public consumption and to get some validation and warm fuzzies.....I'm sure someone on there can tell me how I play top heavy and help me out....or maybe they will direct me to a drumming forum.

Feel free to stay over there if you like.

You know, Shemp, I posted this in the off topic section for a reason. Why is it you feel you have to stir things up all the time? I was willing to give you a chance after the whole GURU/KIS debacle but I see you've come back around to your own troll self. Next time you see a post from me, please do me a favor and ignore it. I'll do the same for you. I'm allowed to post whatever I like within reason. If the moderators don't care, why do you? If you don't like what I have to post and don't have anything constructive to say, then say nothing. I don't mind criticism but mean spirited blather is uncalled for. I've been posting on this forum for 3 years. I'm a drummer trying something new and wanted some feedback from people I trust to be supportive and kindly critical when needed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Back