Thomas Lang

My friend actually knows thomas, Lang actually gave my friend one of his acrylic kits with all the cymbals and shit that he didnt need. its awesome

Sonor has (had?) short-work at the home factory in Germany, but that has nothing to do with endorsers. And also DW isn't untouched by the worldwide economic crises.

Thomas want's to do clincis to promote his DVDs etc., and Sonor has no good base in USA and it seems to be they don't want to change it. So he looked out for a company which gives him good oppurtunities in the States. So why not just asked at a good company round the corner? He lives just a few miles away from DW (like some others too, many pros are in and around L.A.).

As an endorser you don't get money, that's a misbelief. Right now only ddrum pays something cash, but that's the absolute exception.

Lang get's no cash from DW, it's even the opposite, besides at the start-up he has to pay for his set like the big majority of all DW Endorsers. At Sonor you get kits for free, but only as a loan, which means you have to give it back (sure that's not strict, but it's not that you are endorser and then get what you want).

Yes, it's about business, but not in case of the endorsement itself, it's the support, opportunities and network that counts.

00Schneider nails it!! Exactly how it is.

Just received information from DW that they signed also Dave Grohl, Derek Roddy and J.R. Robinson

Bernhard

But there's my whole point: why bother with all the promo stuff while everyone's going 'yeah right, just tell me why you really switched' - which I think was a pretty good reason, assuming Schneider was right.

Wonder what the drums sound like in real life rather than on video....outside....who knows what mixing or triggers done. I mean, c'mon, the drums are top notch and they probably sound better than the video exhibited. I'd switch if I could (then again, I play Pacific).

Why is he outside and not in a studio? And why is he wearing that stuff? I thought they were trying to promote DW.

Am I the only one disappointed he switched to matched grip? I read an interview and he called traditional grip stupid and pointless. It's definitely pointless on a kit (duh, it was adapted for marching snare drummers before carriers were made and the drum hanging from a strap made it necessary), but it still looks cool and imo is sort of a status symbol among many drummers. If you can do it well on a kit, why not?

Well Mr. Lang said it himself, playing Traditional grip was a crutch, and while I agree it looks cool, Thomas Lang has plenty of stick tricks to make up for it. lol!

If you want to hear word for word what he said about matched versus traditional, just read his interview in DRUM! magazine.

-Jonathan

Based on his DVD, youtube posts of clinics and general reputation as a soloist, I always figured he was one these guys who practiced in the basement for 20 years and used the net to make a name for himself, but had never really just been just a working drummer laying down 2 and 4.

Then I listening to his podcast interview, and he was the drummer for Falco's entire career in the 80's. I guess overlooked on my part, as Falco and many of the other artists he worked with were far more high profile overseas than in the US. Boy, was I wrong!

So I had to see if there was any footage online:

Last edited:
That isn't Thomas Lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H8SFyUJpE
That is probably 'Mookie' (spelling?).

Perhaps you're right.

Lang says in his interview he implies all of Falco's tours
http://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-08-02T08_07_11-07_00
But he also says he joined at age 18, which would be 1985. So it must have been right after that video.

Which means he's somewhere in these videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnhJTbHSls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auEGzIBUqS8

But no clear shots of his face.

A recent solo performance, he just keeps getting better and better...

the solo never gets boring, nice dynamics, lots of interesting ideas, and of course absolutely insane execution :0)

Last edited:
Back