Best "budget" double bass pedal

drummindan8484

I'm just getting started in double bass, and while I've been doing OK with turning the hi hat pedal on my e-kit into a 2nd kick, it's about time to get the real thing. However, I'm not as dedicated a double bass player as some and want to be able to get a decent pedal without breaking the bank. Of these "budget" pedals, which one should I get? Hopefully I'll be able to make it out somewhere to try a few of these out over the weekend.

Mapex 500- cheap but gets good reviews
Pearl P902
Tama Iron Cobra Jr.- Have the single and it's great, but I figured I'd still explore other options
Gibraltar Avenger II
DW DWCP2002
DW 3000- I've heard people say these are too heavy, but I'm not a blast beat guy so I don't know if that would be a problem

I would suggest the Iron Cobra Jr

The Mapex pedal tends to fall apart after a year or so,
Gibralter foot plates are too heavy (for me anyway)
and I've never liked anything DW related.

The Pearl is not bad at all, I had that same model for a little while and I didn't have many complaints about it.
For a single chain drive pedal, it was surprisingly smooth, I thought.

Plenty of people here have said good things about the Cobra Jr.'s, pretty sure some might even prefer it to the regular Cobras...

You should still get your foot on as many of those choices as possible to gauge it for yourself if it will be worth the money.

I like the DW3000's.

Try em out yourself though.

Mapex has some very well priced double pedals. The 500 series is only $100, the new p710 is around $170, and the Raptor direct drive is around $230.

I had the DW7000( which i beleive now is the 3000 ) and they were ok. A little heavy but i got used to that after a while, but they were pretty smooth also. The only major complaint i had with them is the footboard was a little to short.

The Pearl 902's IMO felt much better than the 3000. It is a single chain but i never had one problem with them. They felt lighter and much smoother than the 3000's. I now use Pearl Eliminators and as far as i'm concerned i'll never use another pedal. Love it!!

As others have said it's better to try them out and see what you like but if i had to choose one from your list i would go with the Pearl 902's. Good luck!!

Whats the difference between the Tama Cobras and the JRs?

the jrs have single chains and cobras have double chains (for each pedal). the jrs have a fairly basic range of adjustments, but the cobra can be adjusted in all kinds of ways. the cobras also feature sealed bearings in a number of places where the jrs just have regular bearings. i especially like the sealed bearing that attaches the spring to the beater shaft. the cobra comes with a nice hard case, but i don't think the jr does (i could be wrong). still, the jr is a great pedal for the money.

In my opinion, without a second thought, the best budget pedals are the DW 2000 series. They're going for 159.00$ (US Dollars) at Guitar Center and via Musician's Friend catalogue. A lot of people say they're flemsy, but I'm a heavy guy, with a heavy foot, and I have never even stressed these pedals. I've played the DW 3000 and 5000, and I honestly can't tell much of a difference, but that's just me.

Thanks for the help guys! I decided to spend a little more and get a used Iron Cobra that my local music store had for $285 (compared to $390 for new). I tried out the Iron Cobra Jr. and the Pearl, and they just didn't compare to the real thing. Originally I tried it out just to feel the difference between single and double chain, and I decided it would be better to just get the real deal.

awesome! that's exactly what i have, an iron cobra double pedal. it might be good to spend some time cleaning it up and lubricating it with light oil. my pedal gets a little noisy and not as smooth after a while. i can make it nice again by wiping all the crud off the chains and lubricating them. i also lubricate the universal joints on the shaft.

I own the Sound Percussion double bass pedal that only costs $70, and in my opinion, it's a lot like the Iron Cobra, just a little less loud, but it's almost 3/4ths the cost, so it's definitely budget friendly.

I own the Sound Percussion double bass pedal that only costs $70, and in my opinion, it's a lot like the Iron Cobra, just a little less loud, but it's almost 3/4ths the cost, so it's definitely budget friendly.

How can a pedal be 'less loud'? I don't see how that's possible.

Some pedals are squeaky no matter how much lube you put on them. Others are clanky with poor foot board design.. It's possible..lol

If you listen close on some of Bonhams tracks you can hear his pedal sqeaking.. lol

Some pedals are squeaky no matter how much lube you put on them. Others are clanky with poor foot board design.. It's possible..lol

If you listen close on some of Bonhams tracks you can hear his pedal sqeaking.. lol

But that's not what he was referring to. He was talking about the end result of the stroke. That has everything to do with mass and velocity, both of which can be adjusted.

IC's have an offset-cammed stroke which give them a more powerful feel. Cheaper pedals usually have a round cam which yields a smoother, seemingly lighter stroke.

Some pedals can certainly be louder playing than others, if given an identical amount of energy from the foot.

the jrs have single chains and cobras have double chains (for each pedal). the jrs have a fairly basic range of adjustments, but the cobra can be adjusted in all kinds of ways. the cobras also feature sealed bearings in a number of places where the jrs just have regular bearings. i especially like the sealed bearing that attaches the spring to the beater shaft. the cobra comes with a nice hard case, but i don't think the jr does (i could be wrong). still, the jr is a great pedal for the money.

Thanks, no Jrs for me.

I just bought a DW 3000 (and 3500 two-leg hi hat stand)...I have to say, I'm most impressed with them, especially since I got them new in the box for under $300 for the pair.

The double pedal is smooth and smokes. The only difference I can find between the 3000 and 5000 is the hinge at the heel plate and the 5000 has red plates and U-joints (and says 5000 on the footboards).

Back