Ack! I cannot get my left hand to be proper!

nathaniel_h

When I try to do a roll, my fulcrum clamps up so there's no space between the fingers... I can't get it feel/look like a correct holding technique at all... yet my right hand is perfect! Why... ugh. I wish I was ambidextrous, it's so annoying!

Any tips? XD

Yep....common problem mate.

SLOW down and RELAX. Your tight gripping fulcrum on the left hand is a sure sign of tension. Practice everything at speeds where you're maintaining control. Lead with your left hand (so that you isolate it to a degree)...concentrate on both hands and make sure your left hand is mimicing your right.

Also, spend more time working on the left hand than the right....play time with the left hand keeping the pulse.....drill yourself by playing 8th's and 16ths with the left...anything to get it working hard and matching your right hand.

That should at least get you started. Perhaps take a look at books like "The Weaker Side", which will specifically address this issue. Even better, get a teacher who'll give you excercises and drills to work through.

Most importantly...keep at it, my friend!!

When I try to do a roll, my fulcrum clamps up so there's no space between the fingers... I can't get it feel/look like a correct holding technique at all... yet my right hand is perfect! Why... ugh. I wish I was ambidextrous, it's so annoying!

This is probably obvious, but you must realise that your fulcrum doesn't clamp up by itself -- you're clamping up your fulcrum, and to fix the issue, you need to stop doing that! There's no magic involved, and ambidexterity has little to do with it.

Like PfoG said, you just have to take control of your muscles. Play slowly with your left hand, and focus on keeping the grip relaxed. Let the stick bounce and don't squeeze the stick any more than is necessary. Focus on your left hand for at least ten minutes every day, and get a feel for the relaxed muscle action and stick bounce.

I know I spent a few hours every day for a couple of weeks before I had the free strokes and double strokes down on a basic level. Once you have the basic technique down, start working on Stick Control and rudiments to further integrate the stroke to your playing. Play grooves and fills, and focus on your left hand.

Back