Aquarian Super 2's and Response II's

veggo32

Silver Member
I was wondering if some of you could give me some input re: these two heads.
First off I'm running 10 12 14 22 14" snare. Yamaha beech custom.

I'm set for kick (Aquarian SK1 clear with reso-PS3 ebony w 5" port) These heads work very well together I a very pleased. *If some of you find the PS3 batter too boomy and you want to tame it down (yes you can add muffling) instead of stuffing your kick drum just change over to SK1's its got that right amount of resonance but is also focused, its really hard to explain but it produces a great sound for any situation.

Now, I've been running coated emps on all my toms, I recently purchased a clear emp for my 10 to see if I like it. I'm finding at medium tuning it kinda chokes the 10 (ambassador clear reso).
So I'm thinking to go Super 2 clear on my 10 and 12 so I can tune them up a bit higher than I can with the emps without choking them. The super 2 is 2 ply (5 mil + 7 mil) also I was thinking of going diplomat clear reso on the 10 to help the situation, what would I lose in turn if I swapped the ambassador clear with the diplomat clear on the 10.

So, when its all said and done: 10" Super 2 clear batter with clear diplomat reso or ambassador reso. 12" Super 2 clear batter with clear ambassador reso. 14" Emperor clear or Response 2 clear with Ambassador reso.
Can someone please describe their experience with the response 2 on a 14x12 floor tom. Emperor clear on this drum is highly desirable. Will the response 2 do as well as the emperor on the 14".

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
p.s What would you recommend for a 14 x 6 beech snare, I was thinking super 2 coated, I've used ambassador, emperor they are both nice but excel in different ways I'm kinda hoping that the super2 coated would be the answer to all my prayers. Will it. Do you have any suggestions? I don't want anything with a dot or ritchie ring.

cheers!

Can someone please describe their experience with the response 2 on a 14x12 floor tom. Emperor clear on this drum is highly desirable. Will the response 2 do as well as the emperor on the 14".

cheers!

I use Responce 2s on my kit (10x12, 12x14, 14x16) and I love them.
They are a lot like an Emperor but I feel they last much longer and hold their tone better.

I was wondering if some of you could give me some input re: these two heads.
First off I'm running 10 12 14 22 14" snare. Yamaha beech custom.

I'm set for kick (Aquarian SK1 clear with reso-PS3 ebony w 5" port) These heads work very well together I a very pleased. *If some of you find the PS3 batter too boomy and you want to tame it down (yes you can add muffling) instead of stuffing your kick drum just change over to SK1's its got that right amount of resonance but is also focused, its really hard to explain but it produces a great sound for any situation.

Now, I've been running coated emps on all my toms, I recently purchased a clear emp for my 10 to see if I like it. I'm finding at medium tuning it kinda chokes the 10 (ambassador clear reso).
So I'm thinking to go Super 2 clear on my 10 and 12 so I can tune them up a bit higher than I can with the emps without choking them. The super 2 is 2 ply (5 mil + 7 mil) also I was thinking of going diplomat clear reso on the 10 to help the situation, what would I lose in turn if I swapped the ambassador clear with the diplomat clear on the 10.

So, when its all said and done: 10" Super 2 clear batter with clear diplomat reso or ambassador reso. 12" Super 2 clear batter with clear ambassador reso. 14" Emperor clear or Response 2 clear with Ambassador reso.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
p.s What would you recommend for a 14 x 6 beech snare, I was thinking super 2 coated, I've used ambassador, emperor they are both nice but excel in different ways I'm kinda hoping that the super2 coated would be the answer to all my prayers. Will it. Do you have any suggestions? I don't want anything with a dot or ritchie ring.

cheers!

I would suggest getting a Super 2 in either a 10" or 12" and see if you like the tuning range. If the Emporers were choking out, the Super 2 might work for you on the smaller toms. My primary experience with drums in your sizes are at my church where I put clear Response 2 on all the toms (Sonor 2007) I've found it's a pretty versatile head. I've gone from a lower, punchy 'thud' to a higher tuning that I prefer; not bop high, just where it sings nicely. I actually like the Response 2 better on that kit's 14" floor tom that on my own with a 16" floor tom. I run coated heads on my own kit though. When I went to buy heads for the church kit, the store only had a few coated Response 2s so I went clear.

Also, if you're going coated, I would definitely suggest the Super 2 over the Emporers; the coating will last much, much longer.

For a snare head, I honestly wouldn't know where to begin. It depends on what sound you are looking for. There are at least a dozen excellent choices for a good snare head. I've used the Response 2, Focus-X, Studio-X, Texture Coated, Texture Coated w/ Power Dot, and the Modern Vintage heads and I got a great sound out of all of them with a little tuning.

However, the best answer will probably come from Aquarian themselves. I've called them a few times for technical questions and everyone there (yes, a live person) is very well-educated on their products. I've even spoken to Roy Burns a couple times.

Give them a shout... Phone: (714) 632-0230

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/

So i slapped a 10" super 2 clear head on my 10x9 yamaha beech tom (aquarian classic clear for reso) and it's awesome.
I could not believe the sound i was getting right off the bat. The clear emperor sounded bad when it was brand new it got better when it got worked in but nothing near the super2.

It has the feel of a single ply batter and apparently the durablity of a 2ply (this remains to be seen but from i can tell after beating it for an hour straight it showed no signs of wear).
Now i'm going back to order the 12" super 2 and i'm still on the fence re: my 14" tom.
Do i go super 2 or response 2?

I'm also considering the super 2 coated for snare?

The only thing that I had to adjust was my tuning. I'll explain. With these heads, now I don't know if it applies to all aquarian heads #1 you don't have to perform cpr. #2 they stay in tune right off the bat #3 a miniscule turn of the lug will raise or drop the pitch significantly, so fine tuning is sensitive, a very easy adjustment to make I figured it out in minutes. #4 wider tuning range than a 2x7mm ply head. Yes 2mm less on the top ply makes that much of a difference.

The aquarian classic clear is also an awesom reso head and i'm positive it would do just as well as a batter.
Thumbs up for both of these heads.

Back