The Grand Master Buddy Rich

magand

Does anybody master the Buddy Rich trick that jo jo mayer is talking about in one of his videos in drummerworld? Its insane. would be fun to do, to show off your skillz.

Re: The Buddy Rich trick

hey dude,
i just got it down. i watched thomas lang creative control dvd, and that explains it a bit better IMO. especially with the triplets. LRR LRR LRR that is muhc easier for me on the stick trick.

its pretty much just moeller technique or something similar, when your wrist comes down the stick rebounds up and you use your fingers to control the stick for another hit as your wrist comes up

Actually it is called Gladstone technique (open - close, push-pull, reverse srtoke etc)

Check out Gordy Knudtson @http://www.paiste.com/artists/
There is a small clip where he shows perfectly what it is all about...though, there are many options how to do that, for example, Jojo Mayer does that in French grip, but Gordy - in German...

Did you see, that everywhere on the paiste-website they refer to drummerworld?

Bernhard

yeah!
icon10.gif

That would be weird if they wouldn't!
icon7.gif

I can do the Gladstone technique in both matched and traditional grip. It makes for incredibly fast double strokes!

I have been working on it for about 9 months. I hit my peek in speed about 4 months into it. I don't have it as fast a JO JO, but fast enough for my needs. The first guy I saw do it live was Bill Stewart obviously not the first guy to do it. I then saw Ari Hoenig do it and asked him about it when I took some lessons from him last yr. He showed me that it was just like the drop catch technique of the double stroke roll and that you just straighten it out. He doesn't have it super fast either but he really utilizes it in his playing and very musical with it. It took a while to get used to and once I could do it slow I try doing things against it with other limbs like Ted Reeds Syncopation with jazz swing and Samba feels. Also did some rock grooves out of Carmine Appices book too playing 16ths on the hi hat or ride. After a few months of that I just started to use it in my own ideas. The books were a good start though.

I have a hard time doing it with my right hand traditional(I'm a lefty) grip. I need to spend time on that. I may get a gig on a cruise ship soon for a while so if that happens I will have plenty of time to practice it..lol! It's funny because I can do it a bit better with my right hand matched( my week hand) than I can with my left. I got obsesive about 12 yrs ago with the whole finger technique thing and would practice my right hand in the car everywhere I would drive. (That was all that gladstone type technique though. You know down! down! down! Like dribbling a basket ball.) A couple of yrs later my fingers were better in my right hand but my left wrist is still stronger. I wish I knew about the Buddy Rich technique trick then, I think I would have it better and faster because I was younger and more focused on just hand technique.

haha dude i wanna learn that soo bad...that video was so helpful,,, i couldnt really tell how jojo was doing it, but that video was very clear

Why when I look at this section I dont see Buddy Rich? Well Im sure Im not the only BR fan here.

I met Buddy when I was Seven. He played at a festival In my home town. This was two years before he died. The guy is the tops as far as Im concerned, Just watch any video clip and you'll see what I mean.

Im sure there are some people here that know what Im talking about. But for all of you kids who like Peart, Portnoy, or any bad ass drummer around today. Its likely Buddy Rich had some kind of influence on them.

So do yourself a favor and check out Buddy Rich right here at drummerworld or look at the offical BR web site.www.buddyrich.com

enjoy

Re: The Grand Master BR

He certainly is an influence to every drummer around today. It would be foolish to say that everyone, at least once, tried to do the hi-hat trick that he does in the Lost Westside Story Tapes.

Buddy is to drums what Babe Ruth is to baseball. A legend larger than life. Certainly there have been limits pushed by many drummers who are considered more technically proficient. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with the showmanship that Buddy did. He had character and wit beyond what most drummer have these day's.

That's really true. I'll always remember one day when I was talking to a friend and he said, "Aww man, but look at Joey Jordison's solo. He spun around, that's really original and hard to do". And I just simply said, "Yeah, well Buddy Rich was flipped around and upside-down numerous times and his solo didn't change at all."

Buddy Rich is the best drummer that ever lived. I love everything he did, especially the albums he did with other drummers like Max Roach and Gene Krupa. His stuff was very original and had a lot of impact. I don't think there will ever be another drummer like Buddy Rich, he was one of a kind.

slingerlandradioking55 said:
Buddy Rich is the best drummer that ever lived. I love everything he did, especially the albums he did with other drummers like Max Roach and Gene Krupa. His stuff was very original and had a lot of impact. I don't think there will ever be another drummer like Buddy Rich, he was one of a kind.

I couldnt agree more. Thanks to BR

a little picture!

Keep in mind, he was drumming with equipment( bassdrum & HHpedal, hardware, mics or the lack there of and a huundred other things) that doesnt even compare with stuff we have to day. Imagine BR playing on Bozzio or Pearts kit or even a V-Drumset.

check out my shield and pinstrips tattoo thread in my place.

Attachments

• BuddyRichsetup.jpg
    BuddyRichsetup.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 7,698

Buddy Rich was a force of nature, arguably the greatest drummer who ever lived. Further, IMHO, he was arguably the greatest musician who ever lived. Without a doubt, there is no other drummer who had, or has, the musical vocabulary that Buddy Rich had. Moreover, I've never heard BR play wrong note. Everything he played was perfect for the context he was in. As for chops, BR in the 60's was untouchable. JMHO.

Buddy was an all-around great entertainer. If you read about him, or have read about him, you'll find out that he was once thought to be the highest paid child entertainer in the world. The man performed his first drum solo at the age of 18 months old for cryin out loud! Watch a video of Buddy and then watch any other drummer and there's no comparison. He may have well been the arrogant, mean cuss that people who knew him or played with him said he was, but the guy was the best ever! I don't think we'll ever see anyone that good ever again. As Phil Collins said: "He(Buddy) was a one-off."

Back