Art and Music

Polly....if your a Hawking fan, then the name Feynman can't be a stretch.... Read, "Surely Your Joking Mr. Feynman"....his rebuttle to the way an artist see's a flower, as opposed to the way he see's it is interesting. Does an artist understand music, better than a musician?......depends purely on what you bring to the table to analyze the question....plus, you could be a horrible artist...LOL!!!
Don't forget that Feynman was also a drummer, an amazing story teller (very funny), and one of the finest humans ever to grace this planet. "Surely Your Joking Mr. Feynman" reads nothing like "A Brief History of Time" (which I've plowed through more than one...), and like Seinfeld, Surely You're Joking isn't really about anything!

Also by Feynman: "What Do You Care What Other People Think ?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character" is an equally excellent an entertaining read.

Don't forget that Feynman was also a drummer, an amazing story teller (very funny), and one of the finest humans ever to grace this planet. "Surely Your Joking Mr. Feynman" reads nothing like "A Brief History of Time" (which I've plowed through more than one...), and like Seinfeld, Surely You're Joking isn't really about anything!

Also by Feynman: "What Do You Care What Other People Think ?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character" is an equally excellent an entertaining read.

Yep...a damm funny character, drummer AND half-decent artist to boot......EASY reading!!! The passage I was trying to reference was when he and an artist friend were arguing over who better see's the asthetic beauty of a flower.....the artist, or the goofy scientist??? His argument,.....not only could he appreciate the outer beauty, but also the inner workings...chemical reactions, cell interactions (the, "deeper" aspects that make the flower...a flower)..... things the artist was completely oblivious too....and as usual, he made you look sort of foolish in defending your own ignorance......indeed a curious character.
The older I get....the more I realize how one-sided most arguments/perspectives can be....the only thing I know, is that I know very little....and again, "does the artist see music in ways a musican does not?".....depends completely on what you have pulled from, in your life experience....the entire idea, to me, is absurd.

And PS...by today's standards, the very term, "artist" is an absurdity.......

Thx for the link, Michael. Yep, freedom of expression ... that's what we want.

No problem Pol. I always find it interesting to hear what the greats like Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, and Jimi Hendrix think about music.

I guess I can still call myself a visual artist- I haven't been showing and haven't had a studio in several years, as music has crowded other things out. But I have a basement and storage unit full of paintings, so what the hell. From about 1995-2000 I made more much more money from them than I did with music. Now the main visual thing I do is photography- mostly B&W and toy cameras.

It seems we have a number of artists here, a few cartoonists, and there are plenty of graphic designers. Do you feel much connection between your art and music? In what way? Do insights that you have in one arena impact on the other?

There definitely is a connection:

You can relate...

...free jazz to abstract art...

...psychedelic art to acid rock...

...surrealism with psychedelic/early prog rock...

...cubism to techno...

...expressionism with symphonic black metal...

...hmm, I don't know what you could relate realism to?

It seems we have a number of artists here, a few cartoonists, and there are plenty of graphic designers. Do you feel much connection between your art and music? In what way? Do insights that you have in one arena impact on the other?
I aso do visual art (painting, photography and digital) and write fiction in addition to my musical activities. Because it's me (lol), I'm exploring the same kinds of ideas in all of them, they have the same "aesthetic" . . . I'm doubtful that the connection is more significant than that, though. It's just because of the way that I think about things, the kinds of things I'm interested in. What tends to be more different is my non-fiction writing, although there are still some commonalities, they're just more subtle.

I wouldn't say that ""Art guys often understand music far better than musicians" though (and I'd also translate that to, "Visual artists understand music better than musical artists"--musicians are artists, too).

Back