Looking for songs with straight in the pocket drumming.

Kroy

I'm looking for some songs to work with with that feature straight in the pocket drumming, with not too many fills. Coldplay are a good example..

Early Steely Dan always had a great feel and is easy to groove to. Countdown To Ecstasy is a particularly great album from start to finish!

Bermuda

Booker T and the MG's, Wilson Pickett
Anything with Al Jackson Jr. ....older Stax Records

Acdc. Any album as mentioned previously, but if I would start with an album with Phil Rudd.

CCR seems to fit that bill most of the time. Some syncopated stuff now and then, but typical straight four-on-the-floor.

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Lynyrd Skynyrd has a bunch
Rolling Stones
Beatles

i would nominate ZZ Top's biggest albums of the 80s, though I can't remember if those are sequenced drums or not.

Eric Clapton's stuff always grooves hard. Notable examples are the stuff Jamie Oldaker and Jim Keltner played on.

I'm looking for some songs to work with with that feature straight in the pocket drumming, with not too many fills. Coldplay are a good example..

Kroy - What kind of music do you like and enjoy playing? That info might help us help you!

Chameleon - Harvey Mason on Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters album

Living Wreck - Ian Paice on Deep Purple in Rock

yes! All of Steely Dan!

Motown classic hits..

OP - I'm not sure why you're asking the question.

Most pop/rock songs of the last 50 years or so fit your requirement.

What am I missing, what aren't you asking?

OP - I'm not sure why you're asking the question.

Most pop/rock songs of the last 50 years or so fit your requirement.

What am I missing, what aren't you asking?

I think I get it, if you don't mind someone other than the OP answering. For me (and really, isn't that what it's all about? haha), the hard part about jamming along to, say, Pandora is narrowing it down to a station! There's so much fun music to play along with (or try to, at least) that it can be overwhelming. And I want to get away from the stuff I always fall back on, the music in my iPod and cd collection. I tend to listen/play to whatever I'm learning for the next gig. I want to break free! (/Freddy Mercury)

I appreciate this thread because it's giving me some specific songs and artists that I might not have thought of on my own, but with which/whom I'm familiar. So, thanks, everyone!

Thanks very much for all the replies!

I'll try to clarify a little more what I'm after. I'm a teacher and I'm always on the look out for tunes that are going to be easy and fun to play for relative beginners.

The criteria would be:
1. Mostly 8th feel throughout.
2. Slow to medium tempo 60-100bpm or thereabouts
3. Preferably live drumming, though I'm not adverse to programmed
4. Great time feel
5. Preferably modern recordings so the drumming can be heard clearly,
6. Uplifting

A great example is Yellow by Coldplay. Only two main grooves. One on the hi-hat, one on the ride. Some open hi-hats but only on 4+ of the bar. Crystal clear recording. Great feel.

The AC/DC tunes I use - Back In Black, TNT, All Night Long, are great, but they all contain some syncopated stuff that isn't really appropriate for this level. Same with for instance Californication, which is actually a grade 4 piece in Rock School's Hot Rock book. ZZ Tops songs are mostly too fast. Chameleon is too syncopated.

Gotcha, OP.

Here are some I've played in around 18 months.

Jealous Guy by Bryan Ferry. Sneaky half length bar in the middle.

Another Brick In The Wall. Some hi hat barks in the chorus to add interest.

Money For Nothing. The fills in the beginning are tricky for a noob but the rest is mostly money beat.

Road To Hell by Chris Rea

Rain King by Counting Crows. Quarters on the hats, otherwise fairly straight forward.

Wicked Game. Play money beat with an extra kick on the and before three. I use brushes, but I use no actual brush technique.

Back