Cymbal Cases?

Jdrid

I'm definitely going to buy a case for all my cymbals pretty soon, and I've narrowed it down to either the SKB-CV8 or the Zildjian Cymbal Safe. I do have a few questions I couldn't find answers to elsewhere however.

First off, which would you guys recommend? And secondly, on zildjian's website, the cymbal safe says 21" max, while other places say 22". Not sure about that one.

Thanks in advance!

SKB........I owned the Zildjian years ago and found it wasn't really that durable (not enough overlap at the sides, causing gaps). I got rid of it and got something else. I have been eyeing off the SKB though. great cymbal cases in my book. You pay for 'em....but it is your cymbals you're protecting, so it's worth it I think.

Last edited:
I've had the Zildjian for over 10 years so unless they've redesigned it (and they may have), it will hold 22" cymbals - it's held two of mine... I haven't seen the SKB but I have an SKB snare case and that's just about as good as it gets. The Zildjian's kind of pain to open and close (toooooo many threads) and there's no way to separate between cymbals. Actually been thinking about getting a nice bag...

I bought the 24" SKB case last week. It is not deep enough. I'm going to return it for sure.

I've had the Zildjian for over 10 years so unless they've redesigned it (and they may have), it will hold 22" cymbals - it's held two of mine... I haven't seen the SKB but I have an SKB snare case and that's just about as good as it gets. The Zildjian's kind of pain to open and close (toooooo many threads) and there's no way to separate between cymbals. Actually been thinking about getting a nice bag...
Yup, unless you're transporting your cymbals by truck, I'd go the bag route too. There's only 1 make I consider, and that's protection racket. I've got 2 of their bags, and they're just the best you can get, period! I used to have all my cymbals in a flight case but those days are gone. I'd put the deluxe protection racket bag with it's dividers up against any hard case. Much, much easier to carry & stow in the vehicle too.

I use the King Kong Kases flight case for my cymbals....its hard sided and has two very secure latches to keep things tightly closed. It runs about 275 bux but IMHO when you have a few grand in cymbals, why not protect them?

F

Thanks for all the answers!
I'm probably sold on the skb case now. Thanks for the tip about the rolling one being shallow as well.

I like the Z cymbal safe. I have owned this one for 20 years. Simple, secure, cheap, and great! My cymbals are in perfect condition. K

I like the Z cymbal safe. I have owned this one for 20 years. Simple, secure, cheap, and great! My cymbals are in perfect condition. K

Hey KBadd......I'm interested in how you've found the overlap on the sides with the Z safe? I swear I wasn't kidding about the gap in the sides in my previous post and put it down to a re-design over the years that has improved the problem. Until i read your post that is. If you've had one that long, then it would put it around the same 'vintage' as my old case, have you noticed any issues with this?

Cheers.

I think Zildjian may have redesigned the cymbal safe. I used to have a 22" ride that did not fit in it. Actually, it did fit, you just couldn't screw the top on it very tightly. Now that my biggest cymbal is a 20" it's not an issue. As for the lack of separation thing, I use the plastic bags that the cymbals come in to lie between each cymbal. If you slice the bag along the seams you get two 'separators' for your cymbals. Simply push them over the center rod and you're good to go.

Back