King Crimson's new line up really need to make a new album

Lunar Satellite Brian

King Crimson REALLY needs to make another album with their current line up, and no, not that Scarcity of miracles Projekct crap, I mean a real album.

In case you don't know, their current line up(or last line up they toured with) is...
Robert Fripp-Guitar(teehee, that's one of my usernames)
Adrian Belew-guitar/vocals(teehee, that's one of my my other user-names)
Tony Levin-bass/chapman stick
Pat Matelotto-drums(teehee, that's my user-name )
Gavin Harrison-drums

Now, I just listened to this line-ups version of Level Five, and it was PHENOMINIAL, I really like the Gavin/Pat duo, I prefer it a lot more than the Bruford/Pat duo. Gavin really fits in unlike, in my opinion, Bruford did in his later years with KC (Discipline-Thrak, he was great on Red, but he kind of lost it after that one).

I'm very exited about KC's future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w0vxQ-ueCI

I agree. I'd love to see this lineup perform live. A new album would be great but I think Gavin is on the short end of the stick here. I keep getting this feeling that Robert Fripp would rather keep re-releasing different versions of old stuff - it's probably alot easier and there's already a rabid fanbase that would buy anything from the DGM website. I can't blame him - he's certainly worked hard his entire career, as did everyone in that band from the 80s. He probably makes more money doing those speaking tours with his sister. So Gavin, being the new guy, probably feels like Jimmy Page when he joined the Yardbirds - a big name but obviously slowing down, eh?

King Crimson REALLY needs to make another album with their current line up ...

... Gavin really fits in unlike, in my opinion, Bruford did in his later years with KC (Discipline-Thrak, he was great on Red, but he kind of lost it after that one).

Geez, you fans are tough - the poor old geezers are probably exhausted :)

BTW, if you think BB's drumming with KC in the 80s was not brilliant - both with the band and in itself - then you're craaaaaazy :p

For me, the Discipline-to-TOAPP period was the pinnacle for KC. Yes yes, some fantastic one-off tracks scattered through their earlier catalogue and especially big performances on LTIA and Starless (the song) but the music kept on being marred by dorky lyrics, dodgy vocals and Frippy's annoying heavy metal fixation *ducks for cover*. Yes yes, Schizoid Man, LTIA (Pts I to XXVII) and Red made a big splash. It's time for Bob Fripp to stop rehashing those tracks over and over and move on to something more interesting and creative ...

IMO the best of KC has always been their imaginative, more jazzy, eccentric and textural tracks. If they come back I hope they ditch the math metal and the smooth jazz of The ProjeKcts.

Then what would they do? Weddings?

;)

... parties or anything :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQqnAZadJ0&feature=fvst

Think of the amazing non-metal they've played ...

ITCOTKC
Epitaph
Cat Food
Cirkus
Bolero
Sailor's Tale
Ladies of the Road (apart from the geek-trying-to-be-sexy-and-failing-badly lyrics)
LTIA (all 37 parts) ... okay there's metal in those pieces but it's freaky enough to rise above the rest ... no need to rehash ...
Easy Money
Night Watch
Starless
Asbury Park
All of Disipline
Waiting Man
Neurotica
TOAPP
Model Man
Nuages
No Warning
B'boom
Dinosaur
Inner Garden
TPTB (esp Part II)
Dangerous Curves (ie. Talking Drum revisited)

And that's an incomplete list (even sans their metal blah) ... just check your wedding guide for details! :)

I think the best KC line-up was Bruford-Levin-Fripp-Belew. That run of the three albums starting with Discipline was some of the best music put out in the 80's. Don't get me wrong, I love the early stuff, and the double-trio stuff was cool, but the aforementioned was always my favorite.

I think the best KC line-up was Bruford-Levin-Fripp-Belew. That run of the three albums starting with Discipline was some of the best music put out in the 80's. Don't get me wrong, I love the early stuff, and the double-trio stuff was cool, but the aforementioned was always my favorite.

I actually saw Tony Levin play Sleepless with his fingers when I saw them live at the Greek Theatre in L.A. in 1984. Fast forward to the Thrak tour and they did Sleepless, but he used his Funk Fingers instead. I was disappointed and intrigued at the same time. I agree with the Discipline-Beat-TOAPP albums being seminal albums - and I still listen to them to this day. But I think Fripp was right when he said Discipline was the pinnacle of that line-up - it was like the planets lined up with what he wanted to do with the band, and how everyone stayed within their function to make the band greater than the sum of its parts. But they're still great nonetheless. I'd be all over anything they produced under the moniker of King Crimson.

BTW, if you think BB's drumming with KC in the 80s was not brilliant - both with the band and in itself - then you're craaaaaazy :p

I think SOME of his drumming was brilliant, yet other were completely boring.

I mean, the entire album of Discipline was perfect, but listen Neil and Jack and Me off of Beat, I mean really Bill? Is that the only thing you could come up with?

Also I wouldn't say King Crimson was ever really "Metal" Happy with What you Have was extremely heavy as was Level Five, but none of their stuff can be accurately described by that term. As far as them re-doing a lot of their songs (electric-Elektrik, fractured-Frakctured) I see your point, but I respectively disagree, especially on the matter of Larks Tongue(which I would love to see a part 26 btw:) Lark's part III and Part IV were more of a continuation than a rendition. And Elektrik and Frakctured are some of my favorite KC material, where as the originals weren't and aren't.

I think SOME of his drumming was brilliant, yet other were completely boring.

I mean, the entire album of Discipline was perfect, but listen Neil and Jack and Me off of Beat, I mean really Bill? Is that the only thing you could come up with?

Also I wouldn't say King Crimson was ever really "Metal" Happy with What you Have was extremely heavy as was Level Five, but none of their stuff can be accurately described by that term. As far as them re-doing a lot of their songs (electric-Elektrik, fractured-Frakctured) I see your point, but I respectively disagree, especially on the matter of Larks Tongue(which I would love to see a part 26 btw:) Lark's part III and Part IV were more of a continuation than a rendition. And Elektrik and Frakctured are some of my favorite KC material, where as the originals weren't and aren't.

Naw, Bill could have done anything with Neal and Jack and Me. He hardly needed to prove that he was imaginative or had the chops to do all sorts of things with that tune.

He simply took a back seat because it was one of Adrian B's pop numbers and he let AB hold the floor because BB's more musician than show pony. He was perfect in his punchiness with Tony Levin. On the same album he carves it up on Neurotica and Requiem and his work on Waiting Man is special.

I know what you mean about "metal". Agree that KC aren't a metal band, but their sound and tritones were metal in quite a few songs.

I thought Electrik was great - until it broke into the metal section at the end (no one's going to argue that the ending isn't brutal metal). It just sounded tacked on to me. FraKctured did nothin for me, I'm afraid. Just more noisy uglies from the house of Fripp. Okay, I'm being glib :) Nothing wrong with revisiting earlier ideas and refining them (as in FraKctured) - I just wish he wouldn't do it with his noisy uglies hehe

Just like to shine a light on the forgotten man, Pat Mastelotto. He's a tremendous drummer. The tracks where his drumming really do it for me are Elektrik, ConstruKction of Light and TPTB II ... the synth drums in that one are incredible. If a new KC came up with music more in that ilk I'd be keen!

Back