Drum Mic-ing/Recording

Hey All,

I am wanting to do drum covers and post them online, i am wanting to know if anyone knows about any of the stuff i would need for this.
Obviously for doing it properly i would need a mic set, cabling, a sound module type of gizmo, software into a laptop (protools).

Am i right in saying all of this?
Are there any other alternatives?
Could i just buy something to record the sound of the kit as one recording from one mic and use that? HELP? im horrible at all of this electronic mumbo jumbo.!
Thanks Guys

See my diagram. This applies if you are playing along to music on you computer (not an iPod device).

By "audio interface" I mean an electronic device that converts the analog mic signal to a digital signal that is sent to your computer. This Presonus Audiobox is an example of an inexpensive 2-channel device. These types of interfaces can cost a lot of money in the pro zone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 166
See my diagram. This applies if you are playing along to music on you computer (not an iPod device).

By "audio interface" I mean an electronic device that converts the analog mic signal to a digital signal that is sent to your computer. This Presonus Audiobox is an example of an inexpensive 2-channel device. These types of interfaces can cost a lot of money in the pro zone.

Awesome diagram.
Question: Why do you specifically say "NOT noise-cancellation" headphones?

If you don't know much about the recording technology, even the well-made diagram will just be mumbo-jumbo.

Start simple, get a Zoom Q3HD or Q2 or whoever's stereo recorder camcorder and put it up and start recording yourself. You can do live drum covers by playing the music you're playing along with loud enough and you playing along. Once you have a good take in the camcorder, dump that into your computer for editing and uploading to YouTube. After you've done that a few times, you will either begin to learn about the new gear to do it, or not do it. Some YouTube videos you see done on a budget were done just like the way I described. The important thing is to start doing it.

If you go out and invest all kinds of money in recording stuff, you're setting yourself up for a frustrating climb up the technological wall. Go simple and use it as a tool to see what you're doing and how to improve, or show off.

BTW - I may be selling my own Zoom Q3HD if you're interested.

Awesome diagram.
Question: Why do you specifically say "NOT noise-cancellation" headphones?

Noise cancellation headphones are designed to reduce white noise from the environment (e.g. Airplane cabin, car on highway). They are typically battery powered. When used, they literally generate sound waves of the opposite polarity to cancel out the white noise of the environment. They do not protect the ears from high sound pressure levels, and they do not effectively isolate the drummer's ear from the kit.

To save your hearing you want to block out as much of the live kit as possible, and listen to the headphone signal at a low volume, which will have music + drums.

The best headphones for drummers are the G-K Ultraphones made by Gordy Knudson. They are constructed from ear muffs made for jackhammer operators and high quality Sony headphone drivers. Other brands are Vic Firth (good protection, lousy sound) and Direct Sound EX-29 isolation phones (mediocre protection, okay sound).

If you go out and invest all kinds of money in recording stuff, you're setting yourself up for a frustrating climb up the technological wall. Go simple and use it as a tool to see what you're doing and how to improve, or show off.

I started with a cheap dynamic mic from Radio shack ($20), an M-Audio USB interface ($99) and iTunes. Within minutes I was jamming to Highway Star and it was da bomb. A few months later I began using GarageBand and it was a fantastic way to hear my brutal mistakes and improve my playing.

Back