Tama Artstar Cordia kit from 1983

alfthan

Hi,

This is my Cordia kit, used every day and it likes about it :) Specially it has 2 13" toms.

Attachments

• 03092011021.jpg
    03092011021.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 5,868
  • 03092011022.jpg
    03092011022.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 5,205
  • 11092011135.jpg
    11092011135.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 5,473
  • 11092011145.jpg
    11092011145.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 5,257
Beautiful wood grain ... I always loved the look of those ...​

These are (by diameter):

13 x 12 TT
13 x 12 TT
14 x 13 TT
16 x 16 FT
22 x 16 BD
15 x 8 SN

I have tested with several different heads, and did not find bad combination... 14 x 13 is very nice with Evans CS on top/bottom...

It works also with 13" + 14" on front... but as I like 14" as low tuned so much...

Holy crap. Power tom over load!!! Are those two 14" racks toms?! 16-18 floors?

Holy crap. Power tom over load!!! Those are some HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE drums.

Yep!...that was the fad back then...I had a Sonor Phonics Plus kit in the 80's...it had 14X14 and 15X15 RACK toms!! on an 18X24 kick...lol... in addition to the 16X18 and 18X19 floor toms..

Beautiful kit! Love the finish, though I'm confused at the purpose of two toms of the same dimensions?

That is how this kit has been and how it was built in '80 for original owner. I am seeking 12" or 10" toms but it is not easy to find... However these can be tuned easily and by using combinations with heads, it works almost ok for my purpose even with two 13" toms.

Beautiful kit! Love the finish, though I'm confused at the purpose of two toms of the same dimensions?

Wow, I haven't seen one of those sets in years. They are pretty.

It would be really nice to see other similar good old kits in real use!

I am always having really good feelings after playing with this kit and it is really flexible in tuning also.

Plan is to replace/fix some rim bolts&nuts in future, as heavy drumming loosens some (but only few and not from snare). Maybe more (even more :) ) experienced person can give advice for old lugs.

Hi

I had one of these back in the mid 80's, it used to be Tama's flagship drum line at that time, nice shells with outer ply and inner ply in cordia and four ply birch, loads of projection.

I sold it to a friend to buy an Artstar II (Maple shells) in 1989, I just love it and I am still playing it today.

Thanks, I like very much to play with this kit.

Yesterday I replaced Pearl Eliminator 2002-C to new Tama Speedcobra...
It is really different. I am not saying that another is better. Only tested 3 hours and tried to find right adjustments for my right foot first. Beater is very light and suddenly Artstar 22x16 BD does not sound so loud anymore... I should be updating these pictures of my kit.

Thanks, I like very much to play with this kit.

Yesterday I replaced Pearl Eliminator 2002-C to new Tama Speedcobra...
It is really different. I am not saying that another is better. Only tested 3 hours and tried to find right adjustments for my right foot first. Beater is very light and suddenly Artstar 22x16 BD does not sound so loud anymore... I should be updating these pictures of my kit.

Funny enough, I replaced my Tama Camco 3 weeks ago, The Speedcobra was on my shortlist, as well as the Iron Cobra Family, but after testing I decided to go for the Mapex Falcon as it comes with 2 differents cams (pursuit and glide) and 2 drive mode (chain or strap, with the possibilty to fit a direct drive unit as well at extra cost) and interchangeable weights for the beater (10g and 20g). I liked the idea of having the options of chosing differents combinations. So far extremely happy with it. But when I was choosing the pedals it was really touch and go between the Speedcobra and the Falcon.

I wanted that kit so bad when I was a kid.

beautiful !

Typing on an ipad

Last edited:
I will update pics during this week.

Pearl Eliminator has 4 cams and these are plastic, so it is very light from that perspective but hammer is heavy. I used black cams (and short periods red cams... ), which are shaped very basic. That was one point to select Speedcobra as movement looks similar to me.

After second session today, I got very good feeling of my new pedals. Will be adjusting still springs, but basically they are now good for me (And ordered spare pair of nuts and springs already). I will probably keep Eliminator at home for learning purpose... They seems to be selling old twin pedals very cheap in Finland at least, because of worn u-joints etc.

One detail I noticed also is my joint angles of link shaft... and slightly moved BD for easier, very light angle for joints. Both ends should have quite same angle, I think...

Here's a picture of my Artstar Cordia from the mid 80's

Attachments

• Titi Cordia1.jpg
    Titi Cordia1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6,275
Back