How do you listen to music

S

Spiritinthesky

How do you listen to music? MP3 player, iPhone, radio, internet, vinyl?

If the 50’s and 60's were the era of the record, in the 70's we had tape, (lovely 8-tracks and cassettes!), and the Sony Walkman, then CD's in the 80’s and now MP3's.

This Day in Music is running a poll to find out how you listen to your music.

If you fancy having a vote http://tinyurl.com/tdimpoll

Well, being only 22, I used to listen to CDs, but the cost of CDs outweighs that of an mp3 player over time, and it's simply more convenient to pack 40GB of music onto an iPod and always have it with me.

Ipod or my Droid when I'm on the go. Laptop when I'm home.

I have a huge stack of CD's that I've digitized and they're just collecting dust now.

8GB iPod Nano to listen on the move.

And at home I still listen to cd's. I burn the things I listen to the most and I also try to buy at least one or two records a month.

I love having cd's and I like to listen to whole albums, not just random songs. I can't stand it when people say "oh, yeah! that band is awesome!.." and all they know are the two or three hit songs on the radio..

Anyway.. Cheers.

8-track cartridges are the way to go. Especially if you have a car - they promote cruising around since you have to listen to the entire album before you get back to your favorite song. Random access is so overrated!

I also have a tube-driven 8-track ghetto blaster radio I keep on my shoulder when I'm rolling skating at the disco. It weighs about 25 pounds but it's worth it ;)

8-track cartridges are the way to go. Especially if you have a car - they promote cruising around since you have to listen to the entire album before you get back to your favorite song. Random access is so overrated!

I also have a tube-driven 8-track ghetto blaster radio I keep on my shoulder when I'm rolling skating at the disco. It weighs about 25 pounds but it's worth it ;)

The first car I bought in 1983 (1975 Olds) still had an 8-track stereo, as did my home stereo receiver that I kept until about 5 years ago. Somehow I lost all my 8-track tapes though. I still have about 200 LP records and a handful of 45s. I also have at least 100 cassettes, and now several hundred CDs. I listen to my iPod quite a bit, or listen to iTunes on my computer while working there. I listen to some CDs in the car, or plug my iPod in and listen through the car stereo.

iPod mostly.
Car - favorite CD, iPod for everything else.
Work - iPod or Windows Media player
Home - Records, Computer-iTunes, cds rarely

Best way possible is cd quality...mp3s lose alot of depth and character. So I like to get mp3s directly from the cd if possible, then listen on the ipod. Cds the easy to go quality wise though!

Ipod pretty much exclusively. I have an adapter for my car and I have headphones whenever I go somewhere. It's like my best friend.

YouTube, on my laptop, mostly. Or CDs. Or vinyl. Don't use an mp3 player much, although I do have one.

CDs basically

I rip the studio recorded CDs to harddrive using apple lossless codec and make CD-Rs out of it

While listening to the entire album , I check out the wikipedea on the album or hold the LP and read the liner notes (avid LP collector here),

when working out--- mp3 player--honestly not a fan of lossy files!

I use CD's and LP's mainly.
I have cassettes I still play with stuff you can't get anymore that I listen to also.
With LP's, I grew up with them and I like the album covers, lyrics etc...

MP3's I burn to disc for the car.

YouTube is great too, especially for live things.

Don't have an MP3 player...just haven't bothered, but it would be convenient to have whatever song I want on one thing I guess.

I almost always listen to CD's via speakers. I do not like wearing headphones. My truck stereo can play flash drives, so I do listen to that sometimes. I spend much of my spare time listening to music, much more than the average person. Drum on!

mainly cd's, some stuff on the MP3. i still buy 2 or 3 cd's a month. i like having pics, and liner notes and all the stuff you don't get by just downloading.

CDs about 98% of the time, and occasional vinyl and downloaded mp3s. On really rare occasions I'll listen to a YouTube clip or streamed audio. I split my listening between my computer (I have a nice amp, good speakers and a sub but will occsionally use phones,) and my high-end audio system. I have mp3 and portable CD players but almost never use them. Also, no ear buds for me, except when sitting on a plane with my laptop.

Bermuda

As far as format, I buy CDs, burn them into my computer at lossless format, and use my iPod (or laptop) for pretty much everything. Occasionally I'll buy songs on iTunes; either bonus tracks not available on disk, or songs I need to learn so I can cover them.

I also buy vinyl, but as of right now I don't have any equipment for it any more. But if I did you can bet I'd be listening that way, too.

I have a nice system hooked up to my laptop that I can take anywhere around the house, an iPod dock hooked up to my home theater system, an excellent pair of headphones, and an iPod head unit in my car. Quality of CDs, but without having to drag around a big binder full of disks.

Back