A few more beginner questions: lubricating lugs, cymbal angles & kick drum beater pla

rbracch

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks to everyone that I’ve forgotten on this forum for helping me get these stubborn beginner questions out of the way….you guys are making my drum set up A LOT smoother for me!

1.) Could someone explain – if possible, in sort of a step-by-step way – how to keep the lugs lubricated on a drum? I was told to use regular Vaseline brand, but I’m not sure how much to apply to each lug, how often to apply it, where exactly to apply it and what to do once I apply it?

2.) Regarding the angling of the ride cymbal, could someone explain, in a basic way, the difference in sound and attack that I may get if I angle it more flat versus more vertical? I realize that it’s a matter of personal preference and a lot also depends on one’s playing style, but I’m looking for some general advice on the subject. And…same question applied to the crash cymbal.

3.) Is there any “general rule” when it comes setting the drum throne height so that it allows for optimal leg flexibility when playing the kick drum with the kick drum pedal?

4.) And lastly, what details should I keep in mind when setting up the kick drum beater to make for optimal contact with the kick drum batter head? For example, how high should I set the beater (vertically)? Where on the bass drum head – in relation to the dead center of the head – should I allow the beater to hit, etc.? I’m currently using a Tama Iron Cobra kick drum pedal.

Thanks very much in advance, I appreciate your time and generosity,
rbracch

Re: A few more beginner questions: lubricating lugs, cymbal angles & kick drum beater

Well, don't put any weight in my words because I suck, but here goes:

1. I actually use graphite powder based automotive grease. When I get a new drum I change the heads. In the process I clean out the goopy vasoline-like lube and put a dab on the end of each lug so that it spreads evenly as it's threaded. That stuff is smooth as silk and is good for at least 50,000 miles. ;)

3. I was told to have it high enough that you can just place both feet flat on the floor, but not rest on them.

4. I think is a personal preference thing. I like mine dead center because I think it sounds better and I have a minor OCD about angles, measurements, etc. :p

Re: A few more beginner questions: lubricating lugs, cymbal angles & kick drum beater

1.) Could someone explain – if possible, in sort of a step-by-step way – how to keep the lugs lubricated on a drum? I was told to use regular Vaseline brand, but I’m not sure how much to apply to each lug, how often to apply it, where exactly to apply it and what to do once I apply it?

Unless you have rust or other build up in the lugs, I'm really not sure what the point of lubricating a lug is. Perhaps that's a debate for it's own thread. LOL.

2.) Regarding the angling of the ride cymbal, could someone explain, in a basic way, the difference in sound and attack that I may get if I angle it more flat versus more vertical? I realize that it’s a matter of personal preference and a lot also depends on one’s playing style, but I’m looking for some general advice on the subject. And…same question applied to the crash cymbal.

It's just personal preference. An extreme angle might cut off some of the resonance.

3.) Is there any “general rule” when it comes setting the drum throne height so that it allows for optimal leg flexibility when playing the kick drum with the kick drum pedal?

A good place to start is when you're in position to play, that your leg from your thigh to your knee is perfectly parallel to the ground. From there, adjust to taste.

4.) And lastly, what details should I keep in mind when setting up the kick drum beater to make for optimal contact with the kick drum batter head? For example, how high should I set the beater (vertically)? Where on the bass drum head – in relation to the dead center of the head – should I allow the beater to hit, etc.? I’m currently using a Tama Iron Cobra kick drum pedal.

The beater should hit as close to center as comfortable, but don't worry about hitting the head dead center. Where is feels best to you is most important.

Back