Charts vs short hand notes

I derived my method from others on here and added some notes in my own style. The cryptic section is the song structure which I copied from others.

I=intro or instrumental
V=verse
C=chorus
G=Guitar
Mid=middle
Brk=Break
B=Bridge

The first cell is song title, band, tempo and the V is if I sing.
Second cell always notes who starts and when drum start and some basic groove notes
The third cell is song structure plus section specific notes and end notes.
I put a each set on a seperate piece of paper and don't have to mess with it for song changes. This is the biggest reason I have not moved to my iPad mini with a set list app.
The vertical bar indicates a rest for drums in that section

etc

Attachments

• chart ex.jpg
    chart ex.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 284
I don't count bars, I count song parts. My notes look something like:
Ax2 Bx1 Ax4 Bx1 Cx4 Ax4.... etc.

I don't ever really notate the parts to songs I'm playing... The important part for me to remember is song structure and making sure I nail all the parts and stops, what have you.

I divide songs into sections...verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge, solo, stop, etc.

Then I'll write out the arrangement so my charts look like Intro/Verse/Verse/Bridge/Chorus/Bridge/Lead/Verse/End

or I/V/V/B/C/B/L/V/End

I also add little Cliff Notes what time sig, bass drum pattern, tempo, and anything else that will remind me of the song. The title helps too lol.

Yup, something like that. I also have a few shorthands for breaks and fills/setups. Whatever works.

I generally just shake hands with the drum sticks and start playing!

The times I've played song at a gig I wasn't solid on I wrote short notes similar to yours on my snare or on paper taped to my kick drum hoop.

My notes were something like this:
INTRO X 2
CLOSED X 4
OPEN X 2
CRASH X 4
VERSE X 6
BREAK
TOMS X 2
CRASH X 6
END

CLOSED = closed hi hats and OPEN = open hi hats

I was familiar with the songs just not 100% on changes and pauses so I kept it short as possible, if it gets to be too many words numbers and scribbles deciphering it all while playing is going to be very difficult!

Hi everyone, some great ideas here I may incorporate into my notes.
Had to learn a bunch of songs in the past few weeks, and went from not knowing anything about charting to using the Liz Ficalora method highlighted in this drum magazine article with great success. I keep my sheets organized alphabetically in a 3-ring binder with post-it tabs so I can flip to any song easily. While playing, I'll take flip to the song and take a quick glance before I start just to know how I start and basic rhythms. It helps remind me of the little details I'll forgot on stage. Using this system has been a godsend so far.

here's a sample of what her method looks like from the article:

Attachments

• Charts-Ex02.jpg
    Charts-Ex02.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Back