What ever happened to music...

'dude, its not metal, its Melodic Black metal with elements of Death Metal and cybergoth!' I just dont get it, I really, really dont.

Same. It confuses me alot, l ike people say "listen to this it's amazing it's like Avenged Sevenfold mixed with Parkway Drive and Slayer" and I'm like "the only band I like out of the ones you listed are Slayer and it sounds like a bad combo".

I like some metal and it's sub-genres, but marketed 'metal' like those two videos doesn't appeal to me at all... Some of it's even autotuned.

NO. I have heard it all. Not missing a thing. :) I am not good at living in the past.

All of it?! C'mon. If you're not into rock and such that's one thing. But if you are into rock, how do you not like 60's and 70's rock?!?!?! haha.

'dude, its not metal, its Melodic Black metal with elements of Death Metal and cybergoth!' I just dont get it, I really, really dont.

+1

I like some metal and it's sub-genres, but marketed 'metal' like those two videos doesn't appeal to me at all... Some of it's even autotuned.

What you fail to realise is that EVERYTHING is autotuned these days! I bet even your favourite band who you thought were "kosher" (whatever that means in this context) use auto tune to smooth out some of the duff-notes. The difference is that what you think is "auto tune" is just done in a way that is obvious. Most bands use a more subtle version that is very difficult for the average music listener to spot, but if you listen really hard for it, it's there. Auto tune is not the enemy, you should stop being so picky about it.
<condescention mode again>I know the feeling, you're 15, looking for your identity and a purpose in life. That search leads you to become extremely anal about something, in this case music, as you try to feel like you belong to something. I know this feeling because i went through exactly the same thing myself. If you go on the Metal Hammer facebook page, you will find hundreds of other posters in exactly the same position, some of them aren't even 15 any more but well into middle age and simply haven't completed that search for themselves yet. They're all complaining about "core-this" and "not metal that" and the best one which is "why are you posting non metal bands on METAL hammer?" which i think is quite funny because they're perfectly happy for them to post bands like 36 crazyfists and Sick of it All which aren't metal, but what they're really saying by not metal is bands like Asking Alexandria, Disturbed and Bring Me The Horizon but to name a few. It's pretty pathetic really. It's music. If you don't like it then my advice is not to listen to it :)

All of it?! C'mon. If you're not into rock and such that's one thing. But if you are into rock, how do you not like 60's and 70's rock?!?!?! haha.

I am into Rock. Look at my kit. Do you think I play Country or Jazz with that thing. :) I just like how the Rock I listen to has evolved. As an example:

Growing up I liked some of my brothers stuff: RUSH, Van Halen, Max Webster, Jethro Tull, Queen,

Then when I started buying my own stuff: RUSH, Genesis, Cars, Kim Mitchel, Saga, Styx, Boston, Queen,

Now it is: RUSH, Tool, Shindown, RED, Tea Party, Alter Bridge, HURT, Chevelle, Ozzy.

Just to give you an example.

Last edited:
Well I am 46 and most of the music I listen to comes from this past decade and on. To me the musicians get better, the lyrics get better, the sound gets better, the instruments get better. I have no use for most of the psychedelic stuff, from the 60's and 70's. Oh, and I really like RED. :)

I don't think the musicians or the instruments get better, They get proceesed more. There are too many singers or actors that wouldn't make it past week two of American Idol or is it Idle. I'll take a live recording of any band before a studio album any day. Five instruments---do you really need 64 tracks to record on. Give me a break. The Beatles did it on 4 or 5 or 8 and still outsell the phonys of today.Only one band today had the proper name and that is Garbage. Where it all belongs. In fact they need a new genre for all music past 1990, called Garbage.

This can be a very scary place sometimes. So does that mean everyone on here makes garbage. I guess we should all just quit what we are doing. A big reason the Beatles were so popular was because they had a new look, and a new sound to offer.

Only one band today had the proper name and that is Garbage. Where it all belongs. In fact they need a new genre for all music past 1990, called Garbage.

You've got to be kidding me right? Please tell me you're just exaggurating your position in this debate because you've read something you disagree with?

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not young any more. Not because I would've been into this sort of thing; I'm sure we've all listened to stuff that's embarrassing when you look back (in fact there's an entire thread). But because I'd have to listen to other people, my "peers", rant and rave about this none sense. Freakin' Limp Bizkit, Creed, and Linkin Park; I'd pay good money to be able to permanently block that part of my memory forever.

These days, there are more people who want to play metal, than want to listen to it.

ROFL! for sure! as a guitarist and drummer yes - metal is fun to play
it is great to get tight with other metal heads and let out some of that angst...

but at the end of the day - it's the last genre of music I want to "listen" to

I don't "live" in the past but I do find myself really enjoying the music from
decades long gone....there is a real pleasantness to it that make it a relaxing joy to have blasting in your house while you do whatever...

If I'm jogging or working out then yes give me some METAL!!!
because it gives you that edge to pull some extra strength from....

I have a compilation set of 40's 50's and 60's disc set and it changed my perception of music forever to where it';s not about "riff's" anymore but about making a pleasant
sounding tune for people to enjoy....or dance to, or cry to, or pump iron to:)

On some level music is about how it makes you feel and how you want to feel.

I like metal music - but I am rarely in a "Metal" mood these days...

Some type of music is falling into decadence, other music way too commercial and shallow...just quite few bands are making it different and balanced at the present.

Back