Looking for a few suggestions for my next set....

Thecowslayer

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone can help me find some drum kits to start trying out for my next kit. I know that I should try out kits and figure out which one I like the sound of the best, and that is what I am going to do, I'm just looking for a few suggestions of kits to try. My first drum kit, the one I still have, is a pretty crappy Pacific set I got off of craigslist, as far as I know, it's a beginner kit, I forget the exact number, but I believe they don't make the kit anymore. (Though, my first kit was actually one of those drum kits they sell at Toys R Us, the really small kids ones, my brother had one, and I had started taking lessons, so I played on that until I got a real kit.) As for what styles I play, I don't have anything in particular that I play, as I am not currently in a band, but I tend to play things that are rock oriented, but nothing too heavy right now. I definitely don't want it to cost a fortune, but I also don't want it to be a really cheap kit like the one I have now.

A Yamaha Stage Custom or Tour Custom would give you a well-built kit, widely available second hand, great sound and easy on the budget. Then blow all of the remaining money on new heads and top-of-the-line used cymbals and you're set for a while.

Dutch

In alphabetical order. This list should be a stickie.
Gretsch
Mapex
Pearl
Sonor
Tama
Taye
Yamaha
Go to these company sites and read about their mid level kits past and present
Then try, decide, and buy.
Buy used!

Okay, thanks, I will definitely check out all the suggestions, one more question though. Do you think it would be more worth it to buy a used kit, which would be cheaper, thus letting me get a higher end kit, or buying a new kit, meaning that it would be more reliable, but I couldn't get as good a kit?

A quality used kit is always the best way to go.
Drums have very few problems if they have had reasonable care.
Drum hardware can be replaced as needed.
Drums can last hundreds of years!

Budget? I second the yamaha stage custom, found a great deal for a used set with hardware last year. I would also recommend Sonor 3005/3007 hopefully with hardware. There are a few in my area for sale and I just picked one up the other day. Awesome kit for the price.

Buying used is great but if you don't want to deal with the haggling and drum inspection, etc., etc. and want to help the economy buying a new Grestch Catalina of Yamaha Stage Custom is the way to go. Those would be my first 2 selections. Good luck and post pics!

Kits that you can play any gig with I think would be: Yamaha-Rock, Stage Custom, Tour Custom. Ludwig Epic series. Gretsch Rock Club (mahogany), Tama SilverStar and up, Mapex Pro M and up.

tama superstar was what i had been looking at. shell pack for around 1000 bucks for the 6 piece with a stain finish.

i ended up going with the dw performance series 5 piece + extra floor tom. twice what the super star kit would have been but i had my mind set on getting some maple shells.

i am very happy with them i had no idea drums could sound so... "musical" really a nice upgrade from my early 80's falling apart tama swing stars. but its my first "brand new" kit so im sure i would have been happy either way.

I agree with going the used route. A lot of great deals can be found on Craigslist and eBay. But first I'd go to your local drum dealer and decide on the sizes that work best for you, then try to find a decent used kit that matches those sizes. For example, do you like the sound/look/feel of a 22" kick, or do you prefer a 20" or 24"? Or any other size? Then decide on the toms. Do you want a 1 up/1 down (one rack tom + one floor tom) configuration, or 2 up/1 down, etc.?

Once you pick the configuration, decide what tom sizes sound and/or position best within that configuration. For example, a 10" tom is easier to position than a 13", but you may not like the sound of a 10". These are all things you should figure out first, then focus on finding a used kit in your price range that matches this configuration. And don't forget about the importance of tom depths, as deep power toms can be very difficult to position low if you like playing your rack tom(s) low. My personal size/depth preferences tend to be on the shallower side, i.e. 7.5x10, 8x12, 9x13, etc., as I like the immediate response these depths provide and I can easily set them up low and flat (as opposed to high and angled).

Knowing what sizes work best for you is important, because that's more likely to influence your long-term enjoyment of your kit than almost any other single aspect. So once you have that down, just about any mid-level kit from any of the major manufacturers (Tama, Yamaha, PDP, Sonor, Gretsch, Pearl, ddrum, etc.) will probably work fine. I'd stay away from their entry-level kits though, since that probably wouldn't be an upgrade from what you already have. Just be sure that all the heads (top and bottom) are in good condition, and replace if necessary (with used kits, there's a good chance you'll have to replace all the heads, but then you can choose the heads that work best for the sound you're looking for).

If there's any money left over, I'd invest in the most expensive cymbals you can afford. Because unlike drums, which you can change the sound of through tuning and head selection, there's not much you can do with cymbals. And in my opinion, there's a world of difference between an expensive cymbal (Zildjian K or A Custom, Sabian Vault, etc.) and budget cymbals.

Be sure to let us know what you end up with!

I've been constantly checking craigslist, and I found a set that might work, but I was wondering if it would be a good deal, and an upgrade from the kit I currently have. It would have everything I list for 650 dollars, I emailed the guy and he said that the Bass drums where both yamaha stage series, as well as the floor tom. The other toms were all Yamaha tour series. I haven't been able to play the drums yet, but the guy said he would send me a sound file of them being played, though I would still like to try them out. As far as I can tell, it would be a really good deal, but I'm sure that everyone on the forums knows more about this sort of stuff than I do. There are some pictures as well: https://picasaweb.google.com/cgardn...authkey=Gv1sRgCN3H54zEkP_6qAE&feat=directlink

• (2) 22" Bass Drums
• 18" Floor Tom
• 13" Tom
• 12" Tom
• 10" Tom
• 8" Tom
• 14" Metal Snare
• Heavy Duty Yamaha Hardware
• Sabian B8 Pro Hi Hats 14"
• Zildjian 20inch Platinum Rock Ride
• Zildjian 16 Rock Crash (Cracked) Still Sounds Good
• Zildjian 18" Platinum Med Thin Crash (Has Chip) Still Sounds Good
• Zildjian 10" K Splash (Cracked) Still Sounds Good
• Two Overhead Mic Stands
• Bass Drum Mic Stand
• Audio Technica Drum Mics
o Bass Drum Mic
o (2) Overhead Mics
o (4) Tom/Snare Mics

I've been constantly checking craigslist, and I found a set that might work, but I was wondering if it would be a good deal, and an upgrade from the kit I currently have. It would have everything I list for 650 dollars, I emailed the guy and he said that the Bass drums where both yamaha stage series, as well as the floor tom. The other toms were all Yamaha tour series. I haven't been able to play the drums yet, but the guy said he would send me a sound file of them being played, though I would still like to try them out. As far as I can tell, it would be a really good deal, but I'm sure that everyone on the forums knows more about this sort of stuff than I do. There are some pictures as well: https://picasaweb.google.com/cgardn...authkey=Gv1sRgCN3H54zEkP_6qAE&feat=directlink

• (2) 22" Bass Drums
• 18" Floor Tom
• 13" Tom
• 12" Tom
• 10" Tom
• 8" Tom
• 14" Metal Snare
• Heavy Duty Yamaha Hardware
• Sabian B8 Pro Hi Hats 14"
• Zildjian 20inch Platinum Rock Ride
• Zildjian 16 Rock Crash (Cracked) Still Sounds Good
• Zildjian 18" Platinum Med Thin Crash (Has Chip) Still Sounds Good
• Zildjian 10" K Splash (Cracked) Still Sounds Good
• Two Overhead Mic Stands
• Bass Drum Mic Stand
• Audio Technica Drum Mics
o Bass Drum Mic
o (2) Overhead Mics
o (4) Tom/Snare Mics

The Stage Series are considerably cheaper than the Tour Series back then (cheaper wood & lugs) so that's something to consider & 3 cymbals are cracked I would play them for sure & offer him or her less than what they're asking or keep looking...good luck

Bonzolead

Back