John Bonham

Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

thinshells ....first don't bash ringo... lol.. second the beatles far outsold zepplin until they broke up..remember the beatles were very much mainstream at that time, popular with kids and adults (and even charles manson)Zepplin was still on the climb then and bands like the beatles , stones, clapton, the who,embraced them and took them under their wings and brought them to the mainstream...wayne

bigbang said:
thinshells ....first don't bash ringo... lol.. second the beatles far outsold zepplin until they broke up..remember the beatles were very much mainstream at that time, popular with kids and adults (and even charles manson)Zepplin was still on the climb then and bands like the beatles , stones, clapton, the who,embraced them and took them under their wings and brought them to the mainstream...wayne

I missed the part where I bashed Ringo. That must be an in-joke somewhere.

Look at the year by year growth in Zep record sales. They took off in a few short years. They did outsell the beatles for a while (that is a lot of records) had multiple records on the charts at once, and have been listen in the Guiness book of records as largest attendence.

Now, the other stuff is just anti-Zep bashing for the sake of trying to downplay thier significance. As of 1975, Zep were legends. Anyone who knows Zep knows Bonzo died by drinking himself to death in 1980, but that has nothing to do with the fact they have a huge catalog of rock classics and they are beloved worldwide. I say this and I am not a rabid fan, but I am realistic about it. I remember "disco sucks" and there is no way I'd listen to that instead of Zep. For that matter, pure dance music and love ballards always outsells everything else on a consistant basis.

Anybody still got a New kids on the block poster? Grew out of it? Thought so. Anyone practice drum licks from the Jackson 5 or the Bee Gees to hone your grooves and challenge yourself to the nth degree?

This is getting close to nothing more than a zep bashing thread by a few individuals.

Anybody still got a New kids on the block poster? Grew out of it? Thought so. Anyone practice drum licks from the Jackson 5 or the Bee Gees to hone your grooves and challenge yourself to the nth degree?
great post.

look i love zepellin. they were self indulgent maniacs lets not beat around the bush. their album sales were as large as plant's ego (which is measured in light years) and their legact will certainly last as long as a jimi page violin bow solo seemed. i have the original LZ video and it was horrible, fantasy sequences and mostly shots of plants bleach stained crotch even during moby dick we first had to follow the two ballon heads offf the stage.
the fact is that they were a band perfectly fitting to their time and as serious studio song writers they were superb. john paul jones in no small way reigned in a lot of the weird stuff and he and bonzo are the two guys i really listen to. just look at the results once the band split up. once the two johns were out the music just sucked.
i love LZ and it is still incredible to me that for 15 years now i have listened to the almost daily with out growing tired. no other band can lay that claim so in effect they are also a band for all time.
j

If somebody chose to buy a big BassDrum - put the Set down at the staircase and practise on triplets including Bass-Drum......I think this are good ideas.

But if someone starts heavy drinking for achieving Bonham-Drum-Level, it's for sure the wrong way.

I think, it's a tragedy how this ended up. With alcohol every playing becomes bad without exception. Even John.

Bernhard

If somebody chose to buy a big BassDrum - put the Set down at the staircase and practise on triplets including Bass-Drum......I think this are good ideas.

But if someone starts heavy drinking for achieving Bonham-Drum-Level, it's for sure the wrong way.

I think, it's a tragedy how this ended up. With alcohol every playing becomes bad without exception. Even John.

Bernhard

Yes, I agree, I watch all the shows about bands and members in bands how either drugs or alcohol consumed them during fame. Then after they get cleaned up (providing they lived through it) they go back into music but its never the same the second time around.

for reference: http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp this is only the US sales. 61 million more records outdo the Beatles.
the beatles sold far more records than other artists overall. however i do think led zeppelin were the best band to ever exist. Robert Plant's ego? who cares. he's an amazing singer \. i've got his solo album and it sounds very good imho. as for jimmy page, well... i know his solos were about 20 mins each, but he's a guitar guru that influenced a million other guitarists, much like ringo's drum influences.
on JPJ's website there's a video of him playing a triple-neck guitar! very cool. be sure to check it out.

if he was still alive today we would no doubt think he's the greatest drummer ever to live. imagine led zeppelin if they were still around. i'm quite sure they wouldn't be like the rolling stones...

"they were self indulgent maniacs lets not beat around the bush"- i agree to some extent. However, there were bigger self-indulgent maniacs called Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

i agree. it was the times they lived in. robert plant himself says of himself in those days: 'i had so much nose candy...'

certain drugs make you think you are a gid and when you are in a huge bad with people worshipping you the result is unsurprising.

queen were having their legendary after tour parties in these days and yes there were things like zappa and jim morrison. the 70s were great and dangerous.

and i do like plants after zep stuff but it hardly compares to the chemistry that came before. and jimi, well jimmi wasted himself for many years and then started comming back. and JPJ? he carried on composing.

i wish bonzo was still alive. i wish bob marley was alive to. and many others. freddy mercury? the miracle is that they lived at all.

j

PS: i just wish bonzo had made an instruction DVD.

PPS: what are we all doing on september the 25th. it will be the anniversarry of his death. 25 years without bonzo. i think they should do a 'burning for bonzo' concert with steve, dave, chad, phil and co playing zep songs on an orange vistalite. that would be cool. actually i rather fancy that our rather popular DW founder could phone some contacts and get hudson music to organise it. come on berhard, what do you say?

j

Bonzo brought swing element into rock! not jazz! lol

Stairway to Heaven, a top rock song has sublte swing inflections! Neato!

Last edited:

NUTHA JASON said:
actually i rather fancy that our rather popular DW founder could phone some contacts and get hudson music to organise it. come on berhard, what do you say?

j

Absolutely speechless - for the first time

Bernhard

Bernhard said:

Bernhard

I was in high school. We were actually studying current events and then the bad news flashed across CBS news. Bonzo had died. It was utter shock and disbelief. I mean, I wasn't really a Beatles maniac, nor a Nirvana fanatic so when John Lennon was killed and Kurt Cobain killed himself, it didn't have that much affect on me.

But when self indulgence silenced the hammer of the Gods, I knew Zep would never be the same. It was a crushing blow to lose such an influence. He's probably up there playing some golden Ludwigs right now. That would explain thunderstorms....

the best drummer ever. nothing else to say, since you've already said a lot.

Bonham is easily my favourite drummer. The hours I've spent working on my right foot because of him.

bonham is an awsome drummer i to have spent hours on my right foot its as fast but its DEFANITLY not as strong, i also got my hands on the Rock And Roll drum outtake MUHAHAHAHA

bigbang said:
sorry guys but i've held back long enough : don't get me wrong i love jb as much as the next person but the truth must come out 1) led zepplin was totally hated by the critics thru most of their career and the record buying community(remember i'm 43 years old so i have some memory left that the scotch wiskey did'nt kill)2) the most popular bands at the time where deep purple ,alice cooper ,black sabbath, sweet , the osmonds (ahhhh) , jackson 5 , grand funk ,sly stone, etc... remember i'm not putting them down.3) it really was'nt till the advent of f.m. radio and the classic rock format that things started happening for them (by this time jb had passed. sidenote : kiss was the most popular band in the world by then.Carmine appiece(i think i spelled his name wrong)was considered the far better drummer at the time.led zepplin was considered underground hippie music then and only appreciated by the sub culture.And we all know the story of jimmy page being the biggest thief of american black music. sorry to piss anybody off but that's the way it was in the 70's.....wayne

Sure. That's exactly why they knocked the Beatles off the charts, and demolished every attendance record known to man.

...your right everyone disliked Zeppelin and no one wanted to see them in concert *rolls eyes*

Attachments

• melbourne72_1.jpg
    melbourne72_1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4,778

MunsieMan said:
...your right everyone disliked Zeppelin and no one wanted to see them in concert *rolls eyes*

They must have been hated by the record buying public as well. The record company hated them so much that they kept giving them gold and platinum records instead of regular vinyl. They hated the zep box set, and they REALLY hated How the west was won cd and dvd. They hated it so much it went to number 1!

bigbang said:
sorry guys but i've held back long enough : don't get me wrong i love jb as much as the next person but the truth must come out 1) led zepplin was totally hated by the critics thru most of their career and the record buying community(remember i'm 43 years old so i have some memory left that the scotch wiskey did'nt kill)2) the most popular bands at the time where deep purple ,alice cooper ,black sabbath, sweet , the osmonds (ahhhh) , jackson 5 , grand funk ,sly stone, etc... remember i'm not putting them down.3) it really was'nt till the advent of f.m. radio and the classic rock format that things started happening for them (by this time jb had passed. sidenote : kiss was the most popular band in the world by then.Carmine appiece(i think i spelled his name wrong)was considered the far better drummer at the time.led zepplin was considered underground hippie music then and only appreciated by the sub culture.And we all know the story of jimmy page being the biggest thief of american black music. sorry to piss anybody off but that's the way it was in the 70's.....wayne
I'm sorry Mr BigBang but where have you been, i think the scotch whiskey has destroyed more brain cells than you think. I'm a similar age to yourself and i remember the period quite vividly and zepplin were MASSIVE at the time and still are. The only difference between them and the bands you mentioned are ther lack of single activity in the charts.

Back