Drum craft 8.2 Double Kick

Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, VW, BMW? If these are negative, I want a negative car.

I've heard the opposite my entire life; German and Japanese cars are generally seen as the most reliable and well-engineered cars available.

Based on the fact that I have been in the Automotive industry for 6+ years and been teaching Automotive Service to Baccalaureate students for the last year and a half. I disagree... Audi, VW, and Porsche are some of the WORST cars to work on when it comes to electrical and ironically, have some of the highest failure rates for electrical circuits from tailights to ignition coils.

Mercedes regularly places extremely low on public and consumer survey's for customer satisfaction and overall reliability. I cannot speak to them being easy or difficult to service as that is one make I do not have much experience with.

To me, a well engineered vehicle does everything or most things a consumer expects from it, but is also easy to service, which saves on warranty costs for the manufacturer, and in the end makes the price lower for the consumer when that warranty inevitably runs out. Audi/VW/Porsche are some of the WORST designed vehicles I have ever worked on, and I mean that in the most honest way possible. It's often like they have an arrogance of thinking their vehicles are so good they will never need to be serviced so therefore they lack drastically in the service department.

Based on the fact that I have been in the Automotive industry for 6+ years and been teaching Automotive Service to Baccalaureate students for the last year and a half. I disagree... Audi, VW, and Porsche are some of the WORST cars to work on when it comes to electrical and ironically, have some of the highest failure rates for electrical circuits from tailights to ignition coils.

Mercedes regularly places extremely low on public and consumer survey's for customer satisfaction and overall reliability. I cannot speak to them being easy or difficult to service as that is one make I do not have much experience with.

To me, a well engineered vehicle does everything or most things a consumer expects from it, but is also easy to service, which saves on warranty costs for the manufacturer, and in the end makes the price lower for the consumer when that warranty inevitably runs out. Audi/VW/Porsche are some of the WORST designed vehicles I have ever worked on, and I mean that in the most honest way possible. It's often like they have an arrogance of thinking their vehicles are so good they will never need to be serviced so therefore they lack drastically in the service department.

Yea I've heard that many times too, and know people who have experienced it... Unfortunate because I LOVE the way Audis (and VWs to a lesser degree) look, and would love to get one but.... don't want the headache.

Well I haven't heard BMW come up and being an engineering student and surrounded by other engineers and a few people who know cars... all of them tend to vouch for Beemers.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Well I haven't heard BMW come up and being an engineering student and surrounded by other engineers and a few people who know cars... all of them tend to vouch for Beemers.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Because most engineers do not work on vehicles... Most engineers are the reason most technicians are frustrated...

This is not the engineers fault however... The engineers bane (as I'm sure you know) is the fact that its nearly impossible to think of all circumstances. However things like needing to remove the right front wheel, inner fender, and having to impact off the alternator pulley before barely fitting the alternator through a hole under the frame rail. Or I could just remove the passenger side drive axle... WTF?!

Sorry.. off topic... back to the pedal!

Because most engineers do not work on vehicles... Most engineers are the reason most technicians are frustrated...

This is not the engineers fault however... The engineers bane (as I'm sure you know) is the fact that its nearly impossible to think of all circumstances. However things like needing to remove the right front wheel, inner fender, and having to impact off the alternator pulley before barely fitting the alternator through a hole under the frame rail. Or I could just remove the passenger side drive axle... WTF?!

Sorry.. off topic... back to the pedal!

I'm just gonna steer (oh god, no pun intended) back off course just for a moment, we have an automotive option for our mechanical engineers (like myself) and potentially other disciplines of engineering, and you willingly do that because you love cars and probably know lots about them and work on them already. The best ones generally have this sort of stuff in mind, but I think the problem is over-engineering and making the sacrifice of ease for fixing in the hopes that it likely wouldn't fall apart to begin with and the features such a design provides are basically the lesser of two evils in most people's minds... myself included. I'd rather see over-engineered than poorer quality, but that's just my take.

You're actually not the first person I've heard talk about that sort of stuff so it clearly has a basis. I'm just curious about this pedal and why the company just touts it as German engineering... I'd like to see the stuff in action.

Fun German engineering facts:

In 2004, Germany was the market leader in twenty-one out of thirty-one branches of the entire world’s engineering industry! At the time it represented a quarter of the entire world market.

Upon conducting surveys, it was found that engineers in Germany don’t just work in research and development. This area is a good place to enter, but many engineers work in production and even management.

Germany has often been dubbed a land of thinkers. This is true within the German engineering field, too. Many accomplishments can be traced to individuals who originated from here. And the intellectual accomplishments of Germans have helped to shape the world.

Not so fun German engineering facts:

Leading brands such as Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz all fared worse in WHICH? magazine's annual reliability survey than in recent times.

Less prestigious marques including the US' Ford performed better than in the past, overtaking their German rivals.

Overall, Japanese cars were found to be the most reliable in the survey of 80,000 readers, comparing 138 different models.

Poor

Mercedes-Benz slipped two categories, from best to average, in reliability, according to the survey.

No major German marques has escaped the steady decline we have noticed in recent years Which magazine spokesperson
BMW trod water in the survey, achieving a disappointing average reliability rating for the fourth consecutive year.

However, Which? readers expressed greater dissatisfaction with Volkswagen cars.

The carmaker, who manufactures leading models such as the Golf and Polo, was downgraded by Which? readers to the poor reliability category.

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    228 KB · Views: 551
  • Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 559
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    18 KB · Views: 545
  • Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 548
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    118 KB · Views: 539
WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU GUYS? IS THIS DRUM FORUM OR WHAT?
Yes, this is a drum forum.

What's wrong with you? Why do you shout?

If you have something to contribute to this thread - feel free to do so. We're eager to hear your input.

I inherited a 2000 Honda Civic that wasn't well taken care of. I've been hit a few times, and turns out it's a tank! It's only accumulated minor scratches and dents, even with an underside that rusted to hell, and the other guy doesn't look nearly as good. I'm no mechanic, but I'm sticking with Honda because to me it's well engineered.

Also, Sonor. That is all.

I inherited a 2000 Honda Civic that wasn't well taken care of. I've been hit a few times, and turns out it's a tank! It's only accumulated minor scratches and dents, even with an underside that rusted to hell, and the other guy doesn't look nearly as good. I'm no mechanic, but I'm sticking with Honda because to me it's well engineered.

Also, Sonor. That is all.

Honda makes great cars. I had an Accord that had almost 300,000 miles. Had to constantly replace small things, but she started up and ran every time.

Sonor, Mauser, Walther, Heckler & Koch. Germans can engineer excellent products. I see no reason this pedal is bad just because it is German.

Back