Metallica...Way Down Under

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Metallica is planning a "journey to the bottom of the Earth."

The band has confirmed reports that they'll be playing a special concert in Antarctica later this year. In a website post the group says they've been "unbelievably fortunate to visit just about every corner of the Earth...except for one," and "that is all about to change."

The band explains that they're teaming up with Coca-Cola Zero for the show, which they're calling "one of the most unique and special concert events" they've ever played. Metallica will perform in a dome near the Argentine Antarctic Base Carlini heliport on December 8th.

Residents of select Central and South American countries are eligible to win tickets to a cruise that will make a stop at Carlini for the show, which is also unique in another way.

Metallica will perform without amplification, and the audience will hear the music through headphones. The concert will be streamed live in the countries eligible for the contest.

However, Metallica will also film the show "to share with everyone at a later date." With the Antarctica concert, Metallica will have performed in every continent on Earth.

Read more: http://www.schnittshow.com/articles...nfirms-antarctica-gig-11771000/#ixzz2im3H4j7U

Kinda makes me wonder how long until there's an official Metallica NASCAR car.

Cool...will Lars be air drumming or drum syncing his double bass drum parts?Stay tuned boys and girls.

Steve B

First band to play all 7 continents...

I've never been a huge fan, but this did make me smile today.

"Earlier this month, Metallica became the first band to play all seven continents, when they played a set at Argentina's Carlini Station in Antarctica. Now the whole show has been posted online, and you can watch it here:"

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/24/watch-metallica-antarctic-show

On a side note, anyone else notice how "loose" sounding Lars' snare is?

It looked like a pretty awesome show, and I'm guessing that the entire continent showed up for it! How many other bands can say that?

So the reason for the headphones and lack of amps was because this base is a wildlife sanctuary. So I can forgive the absolutely terrible guitar tone, but my question is how did they keep the sound of the drums down? It looked like Lars was playing an acoustic kit and cymbals. Maybe Lars HAS transcended time and space.

Back