Discuss Gretsch 2009's new features

T

trkdrmr

Gretsch is smart. IMO, they made an even bigger comback from the abyss than Ludwig did. just look at the number of catalina and renown sets that are selling! They aren't stagnant, and rather than try to be the latest technological monster, they stick to tradition, in sort of a nouveau-classic mode.

I'd like some opinions on some 2009 features. I am sure Gretsch did some research and have reasons for doing these cosmetics. Other companies have flocked to glitter, gretsch pulls out the nitrocellulose lacquer.

1) Harlequin curly rosewood gloss finish (this includes the rack!)
ACFXUETWL.jpg

2) Harlequin Curly sun amber gloss
ACFETxrBl.jpg

3) 2009 drop G badge:
GRE_LabelsFinish1nn.jpg

4) New classic/small lug
GRE_NC-E824-SNnn.jpg

5) Offset kick logo/bop in retro-wraps:
GRE_CBJ484VOWnn.jpg

Forgot to mention: I think I like this, and I am not sure why:

HQRED_lg.jpg

I am glad to see the clear maple finish on the New Classics line. I really didn't like the two previous finishes on them.

I think you like it because that is one sexy be0tch to say the least...it looks great IMO

That's probably right. It reminds me of the art deco era, and some of the classier elements of the 30's through the 50's.

the harlequins are really cool but I wonder why they didn't do a stain on the dark colors. It looks like a paint. Could it be that there is a problem with taping off 2 different stains?
I'm assuming they put the semi transparent stain on the entire shell then they just tape it off once, then solid paint it to the tape?

Does tha make sense?

i also wonder how the wooden racks will hold up?

Yes yes yes. I'm drooling. As I sit and look at my Renowns I just wonder about a trade in.

Back