"Recommend Me A Kit" Threads

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have long wondered about these threads that are always popping up here on DW.
My question is this.

What makes someone think that someone else can pick out their kit for them better than they can choose one for themselves?

When I see a kit that I like, I know it!
I think about it for a while. Days, weeks, or perhaps months...
When and if I feel comfortable and ready to purchase the new kit I buy it! Or perhaps not as the case may be.

I never need to ask others if it is OK for me to purchase what I have already decided that I like.
I don't even care if others don't like what I like.
Im the one that has to play it. Not them.
Is this a psychological thing? Some people need the approval of others to feel confident about their purchase?

40 years ago I bought my first kit. I looked in a local bargain ad paper. I looked at several used kits that I was interested in. I found a mid 60's Slingerland kit that I liked that fit my budget and I bought it. Simple right?

I have owned numerous kits since then, some new, some used. I bought them all the same way. without help from others.

I don't get it either Bob. They might as well ask...what should I wear today? I don't friggin know, wear what you like!

I'm assuming this has something to do with my thread. The reason I personally ask is maybe I haven't found the option for me. For example, in my thread, someone recommended the Premier Genista, which I had never even heard of, and now since that was recommended and I checked it out, I really like what I'm seeing and it's a strong possibility that that will be the one I go with. Not every one has the ability or the resources to just "go out and try a bunch of kits until you find one".I work at a music store, so I know how frustrating it is when someone comes in and wants to play a drumset just to jam and then doesnt buy anything, so I hate to do that. a lot of places like guitar center don't have their kits set up. No one ever said "tell me what drums to buy", I merely said "RECOMMEND". and I see nothing wrong with asking for some guidance when making a big decision like that, especially when I personally dont have a lot of cash to throw around, so when I make the decision to drop $1500 on a drumset, I think it would be ignorant for me to not ask for some help opening my eyes.

Last edited:
In this post: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1111302&postcount=1

You specify 4 criteria - you want birch, you want a smaller (20") bass drum, you want to spend up to $1,500, and you want "something a little better" than the intermediate kits you've had.

The first 3 are fairly objective, and easy for you to check out - especially since you work at a music store.

The last is more subjective, and will probably be the most trouble for you. Is there something lacking in the kits you've had? What exactly would you like to be 'better'. Getting a grip on what these questions mean to you, will probably determine what you end up getting.

Accumulating knowledge and preferences about something is a gradual process, and I don't see any harm in asking about specifics.

But asking 'what kit should I buy' is no different than asking 'what do I want.'

Oh, BTW - what do I want? LOL

Its a combination of the overwhelming variety of options that are available now and the fact that many people a financially tighter that others. Everyone can't just get every kit they like when they stubble upon it. If you've fought hard to gather the money for a kit - a kit that may be your only one for the next decade or two - i sure as hell don't blame anyone for asking for advise and second opinions.

In the old days its seems like the chooses for kits were pretty much 12-14-20 or 13-16-22, finish, and brand. I don't think I need to go into detail on the vast array of chooses we have available today amid the debilitating ad campaigns, and how that can paralyze people's decision making skills.

Last edited:
I'll defend the thread makers to a point:

Quite simply there are far more brands now than 30 years ago. And every brand has multiple lines and levels to choose from.

40 years ago? You had a choice between Ludwig,, Rogers, Gretch or Slingerland. And you didn't worry about which line with in the brand, because they all pretty much just made one or 2 things to chose from.

Now it's Pearl, Tama, Mapex, DW/PDP, Yamaha, Ludwig, Gretch, Ddrum, Crush, Sonar, etc, etc, and each brand has 4 to 10 lines to choose from. The amount of choices the inexperienced drum shopper has gone way, way up.

On the other hand, I don't get why people post simple "what kit should I get" without doing some preliminary research.

At least read up on some of the choices and narrow down to the list to the drum sets that fit the price range you have and some features you think you want. I really don't mind the "I'm torn between A, B or C" threads. That's understandable.

But I agree the one who just post "what should I buy?" are just freakin' lazy.

In this post: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1111302&postcount=1

You specify 4 criteria - you want birch, you want a smaller (20") bass drum, you want to spend up to $1,500, and you want "something a little better" than the intermediate kits you've had.

The first 3 are fairly objective, and easy for you to check out - especially since you work at a music store.

The last is more subjective, and will probably be the most trouble for you. Is there something lacking in the kits you've had? What exactly would you like to be 'better'. Getting a grip on what these questions mean to you, will probably determine what you end up getting.

Accumulating knowledge and preferences about something is a gradual process, and I don't see any harm in asking about specifics.

But asking 'what kit should I buy' is no different than asking 'what do I want.'

Oh, BTW - what do I want? LOL

Understood. But once again I never said "what should I buy", I said "recommend me a kit", so that I may go and research. I really could care less whether someone else likes it or not. just because you recommended it, doesnt mean thats what I'm going to get, I just want to make sure I dont buy something, then find a better option a month later and kick myself. I understand things were done a little differently back in the day, but now adays, I hate when someone just buys willie nillie and doesnt even know what they're buying.

I do work at a music store, which is how I came to know I wanted birch and a 20" kick. I played a 22, now I have a 24" and I played a couple 20's at the store and fell in love. I've always loved the sound of birch drums. so I dont really know what more info I'm expected to have.

Kit preference mmmm......well.......

For years I loved and longed for a Pearl MMX kit, but then when I actually tried it next to a Yamaha Maple Custom there was no question it had to be the Yamaha!

Just my choice!

TJ@ www.britchops.co.uk

I know what you're saying Larry, and I empathize. Yet this is a drum forum used by so many different drummers, at so many different levels from all over the world. Some of the information that I have gleaned from here has changed my outlook on drums and has inspired my playing. That said I can imagine the frustration on the part of the folks who have been around for a long time on this site, (I have not).

To make it a bit more personal, if I had the information 5 years ago that I have now, (thanks primarily to this site), I would not have bought the kit that I currently have. I also would not have completely refurbished it and made it my favourite drumset I've ever owned, (I've had Rogers, DW collector's, Slingerland and Mapex kits.).

There are so many ways to use this site, but the new folks probably don't know where to start looking, (I know there is a 'search', but even the smartest around have to start somewhere). I agree that folks starting new threads can be irritating, but as for myself I either ignore it or have a look for the sake of the human desire to see where someone else is at.

... No one ever said "tell me what drums to buy", I merely said "RECOMMEND"...

OK then - I recommend that you get this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...tom-birch-shell-pack-with-20-bass-drum/h94207

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch - $649 - currently at 15% off which comes to about $552.

Birch drums, 20" kick drum, less than $1,500, and it leaves you with lots of money left over for other things.

If there's something specific about it, that you would like to be 'better', please post back for further suggestions.

Not picking on you lickety, or making fun or anything - that's an honest recommendation.

And I have strongly considered that as well. maybe (if you know) you could pm me what the honest difference would be between that and say a more expensive kit. I have considered the stage custom, but I'm just keeping my options open. the honey amber is calling my name though.

There could be a variety of reasons someone may start a topic like this, perhaps like myself, they are new to drums and don't know where to start. That is what brought me to this site a few months ago. Figured it's a discussion forum about drums, and there would be people who would enjoy helping those new to the drum world. I kind of expect people to ask drum related questions on a drum related forum, but that's me I guess. I actually (gasp) started one of those threads a few months ago.

There are a lot of choices out there and some guidance is nice, especially when you are just getting into drums. Some of you mention being a drummer for many years, so perhaps you forget what it was like when you were just starting out, or perhaps there weren't as many choice when you started, but regardless why would anyone feel the need to knock someone who is asking for help in making a choice?

As for being lazy or lacking the will to perform research, nothing could be further from the truth for some of us who start those types of discussions. In reality, this is actually part of the research. For example, I had my sights set on buying a new entry level PDP kit, but after researching on these forums for hours I realized I could score a far better deal buying a used set. Craigslist is full of used kits, but what is a good kit to someone who knows nothing about drums? What would be a good kit for my budget? I was given some good suggestions to help me start my search, and I am very grateful to the members who took the time to help.

Thankfully a few posters were willing to help a newb and I was able to pick up a nice drum kit that I am very happy with. I had no idea there were some here who were to important to be bothered to help a new drummer. I guess I have been fortunate to be a member of forums where most members enjoy helping each other and not cutting others down for asking for suggestions.

What I don't understand is why anyone would care if someone started a recommend me a kit thread on a drum forum? I mean, it's not like anyone is forcing anyone else to read or reply to them, and last I looked this is a drum forum and that is a drum related topic.

@Lickety Britches - don't take it personal. It's not only you who has posted threads like this. They pop up all the time.

I agree that there are so many manufacturers and lines out there that yes, it is more difficult than when there was only the Big Four makers and everything was simpler. In a way, coming up during the 70s made it easier for someone like me to see what my idols were playing, do some research, and then save my money for something like what those guys were playing. Today, a kid would have to have 10K to get what their favorite players are playing, I suppose. So I get why the question gets asked.

On the other hand, doing a bit of research on your own is alot easier than people think it is. Consult the drumming magazines, or see what your favorites are playing, thats usually how it starts. I've done some serious study of certain drum catalogs when I was a kid and was able to separate the wheat from the chaff information-wise. It's not hard to do, it just takes a bit of initiative, and I think more should do that instead. It's your purchase with your money, you have to know what you want. Simple as that.

Besides, what if you took somebody's advice and actually bought what they said to buy, and then you didn't like it? Whose fault is it? The cool thing with making your own decisions is that you reap all the rewards if you like it. The flip-side is that you get to take all the blame if it turns out to be an un-wise decision. But that's what it means to be a responsible person. Alot of people can do it, they just choose not to, I guess.

The pet peeve I have with all this "what kit should I buy" business is that no one ever budgets for good cymbals. Or a good throne. Or good heads. If I could just plug into every aspiring drummers' head and program them to believe "the drums don't matter, but your cymbals do" then my work on this planet would be done ;)

And I have strongly considered that as well. maybe (if you know) you could pm me what the honest difference would be between that and say a more expensive kit. I have considered the stage custom, but I'm just keeping my options open. the honey amber is calling my name though.

Sorry - I can't tell you for sure, because I don't buy more expensive kits than that.

But on some you might find a little higher grade of birch, maybe some different types of hoops, maybe some hardware/lugs that you find more aesthetically appealing, or that were manufactured differently, and maybe some better stock heads.

I doubt that you will find better finishes on even much more expensive kits. The finish on these kits is superb. I also haven't found a tom mounting system that I like better.

Also, in the other thread titled "Recommend me a new kit!", I assumed you really meant 'new'.
Most people here will recommend you buy something used, because you get more for your money that way. I have no argument with that. Better to let someone else eat the depreciation, as long as they haven't abused the kit along the way.

I'm assuming this has something to do with my thread. The reason I personally ask is maybe I haven't found the option for me. For example, in my thread, someone recommended the Premier Genista, which I had never even heard of, and now since that was recommended and I checked it out, I really like what I'm seeing and it's a strong possibility that that will be the one I go with. Not every one has the ability or the resources to just "go out and try a bunch of kits until you find one".I work at a music store, so I know how frustrating it is when someone comes in and wants to play a drumset just to jam and then doesnt buy anything, so I hate to do that. a lot of places like guitar center don't have their kits set up. No one ever said "tell me what drums to buy", I merely said "RECOMMEND". and I see nothing wrong with asking for some guidance when making a big decision like that, especially when I personally dont have a lot of cash to throw around, so when I make the decision to drop $1500 on a drumset, I think it would be ignorant for me to not ask for some help opening my eyes.

I haven't seen your thread, but I find it a little interesting that someone would have a problem with you asking a drum related question on a drum discussion forum. I could understand if you were on let's say, a Corvette forum, and asking for suggestions about which drum set you should look at in your price range, but we are actually on a drum forum and you asked a drum related question and people are giving you grief over it. I have never seen this on a forum before. What is even more is I bet the guys and gals on the Corvette forum who played drums would probably try to help you and not run you down over it!

I haven't seen your thread, but I find it a little interesting that someone would have a problem with you asking a drum related question on a drum discussion forum. I could understand if you were on let's say, a Corvette forum, and asking for suggestions about which drum set you should look at in your price range, but we are actually on a drum forum and you asked a drum related question and people are giving you grief over it. I have never seen this on a forum before. What is even more is I bet the guys and gals on the Corvette forum who played drums would probably try to help you and not run you down over it!

I think it's more like this - a guy goes on a car forum and says, I have a car, and I work at a car dealership, but I'd like a better car. What would you recommend?

@Lickety Britches - don't take it personal. It's not only you who has posted threads like this. They pop up all the time.

I agree that there are so many manufacturers and lines out there that yes, it is more difficult than when there was only the Big Four makers and everything was simpler. In a way, coming up during the 70s made it easier for someone like me to see what my idols were playing, do some research, and then save my money for something like what those guys were playing. Today, a kid would have to have 10K to get what their favorite players are playing, I suppose. So I get why the question gets asked.

On the other hand, doing a bit of research on your own is alot easier than people think it is. Consult the drumming magazines, or see what your favorites are playing, thats usually how it starts. I've done some serious study of certain drum catalogs when I was a kid and was able to separate the wheat from the chaff information-wise. It's not hard to do, it just takes a bit of initiative, and I think more should do that instead. It's your purchase with your money, you have to know what you want. Simple as that.

Besides, what if you took somebody's advice and actually bought what they said to buy, and then you didn't like it? Whose fault is it? The cool thing with making your own decisions is that you reap all the rewards if you like it. The flip-side is that you get to take all the blame if it turns out to be an un-wise decision. But that's what it means to be a responsible person. Alot of people can do it, they just choose not to, I guess.

The pet peeve I have with all this "what kit should I buy" business is that no one ever budgets for good cymbals. Or a good throne. Or good heads. If I could just plug into every aspiring drummers' head and program them to believe "the drums don't matter, but your cymbals do" then my work on this planet would be done ;)

People still read magazines? LOL JK I take it you don't get advice on taxes, buying a new car, buying a new home, etc ad infinitum? Isn't it part of the research to ask questions on a forum? This is something a few have said in this topic, but when someone asks a question like this, they are looking to narrow down the good choice in their price range so they don't get ripped off. I would consider that a part of researching.

If I am going to buy a new car, part of my research will be going to car forums and seeing what people think about the different vehicles in my price range and then asking them for advice on what to buy in my price range, what problems to look out for, etc, etc. Would you not consider that to be a part of the actual research? If not, what is it, being lazy? Or would you just jump in and drive them and just pick one based on how it drove? Would you not ask those who owned them what to look for, what options you should get, etc, etc?

I came here and asked a similar question and was given some suggestions and I followed those suggestions. If I made a bad decision and didn't like what I bought, it's still my fault, not the fault of those trying to help. Using that logic means you would never want to ask any questions or answer them because someone may be unhappy with the results. Would kind of defeat the purpose of a discussion forum wouldn't you think?

Just think, in those what should I buy threads, you could mention the fact that most people don't' buy good cymbals and maybe they will change up their budget to include good cymbals, heads, throne, etc? I mean, that's some useful information!

In the end, you do end up making the final decision, so it's really cool. It's even cooler when you have those who want to help you make an informed decision so you don't get ripped off.

I think it's more like this - a guy goes on a car forum and says, I have a car, and I work at a car dealership, but I'd like a better car. What would you recommend?

I used to own a large car forum, and often we had people come on our forum asking about what model to purchase. There is a lot of misinformation out there. For example, some would get a V6 instead of the V8 because they thought it would save them a lot of fuel, but for the model they were looking at, they were wrong. Many times I had people say they wished they would have asked on my forum before they purchased because they always had the "I could of had a V8" regret.

It would be like someone coming on a Firebird forum and saying they had a Firebird Formula but wanted to get something better and I have X amount of money to spend, so what should I look at. It's not a hard to help them make a good choice based on the info they present if you know the topic. It's actually quite rewarding to help them make a good choice and not get ripped off.

As long as they have done some footwork already and it shows, I have no problem helping with recommendations (not that I can make any for drums, but I have done so for other topics). There are so many choices out there anymore that even after doing a few weeks of research on microphones to get, I decided to ask on a form and went "I am considering X, Y and Z, is there anything else you can recommend that fits..." and I ended up with something quite different from X Y or Z! and am quite happy I did!

That said, for my drum kit, it was: buy a cheep kit to get me started "Hey I like this!" buy another cheap kit because the one I had was a POS and falling apart. I saved up and looked until something caught my eye and it was love at first site! Braved a black Friday sale at Guitar Center near NYC (I live about an hour away from NYC) just so I could afford it!

People still read magazines? LOL JK I take it you don't get advice on taxes, buying a new car, buying a new home, etc ad infinitum? Isn't it part of the research to ask questions on a forum? This is something a few have said in this topic, but when someone asks a question like this, they are looking to narrow down the good choice in their price range so they don't get ripped off. I would consider that a part of researching.

If I am going to buy a new car, part of my research will be going to car forums and seeing what people think about the different vehicles in my price range and then asking them for advice on what to buy in my price range, what problems to look out for, etc, etc. Would you not consider that to be a part of the actual research? If not, what is it, being lazy? Or would you just jump in and drive them and just pick one based on how it drove? Would you not ask those who owned them what to look for, what options you should get, etc, etc?

I came here and asked a similar question and was given some suggestions and I followed those suggestions. If I made a bad decision and didn't like what I bought, it's still my fault, not the fault of those trying to help. Using that logic means you would never want to ask any questions or answer them because someone may be unhappy with the results. Would kind of defeat the purpose of a discussion forum wouldn't you think?

Just think, in those what should I buy threads, you could mention the fact that most people don't' buy good cymbals and maybe they will change up their budget to include good cymbals, heads, throne, etc? I mean, that's some useful information!

In the end, you do end up making the final decision, so it's really cool. It's even cooler when you have those who want to help you make an informed decision so you don't get ripped off.

You're partly right: I don't take advice on lots of things. Maybe you'll understand this: if we limit this discussion to drums and drumsets, and all things percussion (or for that matter, cars and houses too, and any other material thing), so much of it is "what do I like?". Therefore, how can you assume a person is being ripped off if they like what they have? It's like buying a diamond ring for the wife - if she likes it, does it matter what you paid for it? 10 grand, or a thousand dollars, if she likes it, you're gonna go with it, right? People thought I was crazy when I bought a $3500 Omega watch - why should I care what people think if I like it? I love it and wear it everyday.

In this light, why would buying a drumset, or a car, or a house any different? If you like it, get it. In the case of a car, if I like it so much, I think I'd be willing to pay for the maintenance or any other quirky thing the car needs because I like driving it. A house is pretty much the same thing. I have mine, and I pay for the upkeep and everything that goes with it. Am I getting ripped off because I do this? How would I know? I like having what I have and I can afford it. That's just how I roll, I suppose. I'm not in the habit of getting into something just to get out of it later because I've convinced myself I could be getting ripped off.

Regarding advice on taxes, I pay a professional tax lawyer for advice. Just as I pay a doctor for health advice. I wouldn't be asking a public forum advice on those matters.

I'm really not being argumentative on the issue, that's just how it is. From time to time on this forum I'll post a great deal I found and I like a good deal as much as the next guy. And I follow the drum market so I know if something costs more than it should. That kind of pricing research is easy to do, don't you think? Especially on the internet.

Back