Protection Racket AAA Hardcases arrived.

Andy

Honorary Member
Just taken a delivery of these new rigid soft cases from Protection Racket. We'll be offering a full range of PR cases with our drums, so I have several sets for evaluation. After years of being super impressed with their soft cases, I had high expectations of this new product, & I wasn't disappointed. They're just superb! All the practicality of the soft cases, but as impact & crush resistant as my Humes & Berg hardcases. Half the weight, better lining, easier to get drums in & out, & kind to your car interior if you don't use a truck to haul your drums.

Hands down the best cases I've tried.

A shame they dont seem to exist here in the US. They seemed rather nice and I made an inquiry with a retailer here, and their distributor doesn't carry the AAAs.

I agree - superb cases, I have the snare and mounted tom cases for my Renown '57 kit and after the 16"x16" floor tom and 22"x18" bass to complete the set - do you have these in stock and if do, how much? Thanks,

Chris.

The national distributor here is supposedly getting a shipment in October, but they only indicated to me that they'll be offering 5-piece pre-configured kits. Since I'll need to order all sizes separately (my 22" bass doesn't fit PR's 22" case sizing), I just hope they'll offer all sizes individually.
I have 18" depth & 20" depth listed on my AAA details. What size is your 22" bass drum?

A shame they dont seem to exist here in the US. They seemed rather nice and I made an inquiry with a retailer here, and their distributor doesn't carry the AAAs.
I'm meeting up with Dean from PR in a few weeks time. I'll try to clarify the US distribution situation for you. They are superb though, in fact, I'd say the best case product I've seen in years! Worth the wait :)

I agree - superb cases, I have the snare and mounted tom cases for my Renown '57 kit and after the 16"x16" floor tom and 22"x18" bass to complete the set - do you have these in stock and if do, how much? Thanks,

Chris.
I'm sorry Chris, the terms of our agreement preclude us from supplying cases separately. We can only supply them as part of our drum offering, & we respect those terms.

The 27" in that pic is measured as if their were another spur opposite, but it's just empty space. The spur only protrudes by 2.5 inches, so that's 24.5", plus a little extra for the hoop and claws, you should be under the 25.5" limit. And Protection Racket's 3.5" extra is probably on the safe side anyway, I would guess it is actually a fraction more.

Or I may just be looking at the diagram wrong :)

I have a Saturn kick drum (spurs stick out a mile!) which fits fine in it's matching Pro-Racket case, but it's a soft case so may not be relevant to this.

Should be able to figure out the true diameter or your drum with a tape measure and some simple math.

22x17 Yamaha Oak Custom. Depth is not a problem, diameter is:

Have you actually measured one mate? My spurs and mounting hardware stick out around that far too. Fit's like a glove in my PR bags (which I assume is the same specs as the rigid bags)....not to mention that they've fit perfectly in any hardcase I've ever had it in too.

Most cases easily house most drums of the same diameter. I'm sure there'll always be an exception to the rule, but if you haven't actually tried to get one into a PR case/bag yet, do so. I reckon you just might find it fits.

Of course I've never measured them. I just pull numbers out of the air...

Yeah, not quite what I was getting at. But if you've physically tried 'em and they don't fit, then you're the exception to the rule. Upsizing is the only other suggestion I've got.

Personally, I've never owned a 22" drum that didn't fit a 22" case. Or a 16" that didn't fit a 16" case. Or a 14"......and so on and so on......regardless of the hardware. RIMS style mounts are the only exception I've come across.

keep it simple, because AAA's are hard lined, are their diameters sized identically to their soft counterpart?
Just on my way out to set up for tonight's gig, so managed to measure up a 20" AAA bass drum case. It's 24.5" internal, & that's without significantly compressing any of the generous liner. I don't have a 22" version here, but I'm assuming the same ratio applies to the 22" AAA case, therefore you should have 26.5" diameter available to you, maybe a touch more with a slight squeeze.

Does your bass drum have the tom mount as shown in the drawing? Even if it does, I'm guessing your drum will probably fit, & if it doesn't, it'll certainly fit. Aside from that, are the legs easy to detach? They look like the hex pull out variety.

If you can wait until Monday, I'll speak directly to Dean (owner of PR) & get an exact measurement. I did have a complete list of all internal dimensions for PR cases some time ago. I'll see if they have an updated one to include the AAA cases. If they do, I'll post the whole document here, as it's a pretty useful thing for many.

I have to admit that my 18" oak kick nearly fits in the PR. It costs quite an amount of time to fit in. It has one tommount for the riser if it had the mount top too (which i took off for the logoate, it wouldnt fit) the downside is that a 20" would be too big :(

Besides that I love PR to the boner and cant live with out them.

Could I ask a small favor if you haven't already spoken to Dean? PR's Australian distributor is almost certainly going to go under very soon. Could you ask Mr. Bowdery if a new Australian distributor has been lined up, and how long it will be until we can get our hands on AAA's and Protection Racket gear in general? It seems these AAA's are vaporware for me.
Sorry, I didn't get to speak with Dean. I got pulled away to Germany for a few days. I'll try again for you.

Cheers, Andy.

Dean's been away, but hopefully back today. I spoke to Mandy @PR yesterday, & she's sending me a list of all their internal measurements. Hasn't arrived yet. I'll ask Dean about both the US & Australian distribution status.

Dean's been away, but hopefully back today. I spoke to Mandy @PR yesterday, & she's sending me a list of all their internal measurements. Hasn't arrived yet. I'll ask Dean about both the US & Australian distribution status.

Cool! I have the PR bags (the soft kind with the Propile inside) and love the construction and durability. I am hoping the AAA cases can come across the pond!

Sorry this took so long. Here's a PDF showing the true internal dimensions of Protection Racket cases. Although there isn't a listing for the AAA cases, I'm informed they're circa 1" bigger in diameter than listed here. That certainly bears out with the AAA cases I've measured with me. I hope this helps :)

Attachments

• Internal Dimensions.pdf
    123 KB · Views: 683
Sorry this took so long. Here's a PDF showing the true internal dimensions of Protection Racket cases. Although there isn't a listing for the AAA cases, I'm informed they're circa 1" bigger in diameter than listed here. That certainly bears out with the AAA cases I've measured with me. I hope this helps :)

Thanks 4 this as i think my 20x14 kick will fit in the same size bag.

Andy, I'm a little confused here. If I wanted a AAA bag for a 24x14 bass drum with no mount (virgin) what size would I need to order?

Andy, I'm a little confused here. If I wanted a AAA bag for a 24x14 bass drum with no mount (virgin) what size would I need to order?
It is a little confusing, & depends very much on the spur profile of your drum. I've found that our bass drums can comfortably fit into one size down, but our spur bracket PCD is less than many. Safe option is to go for the 24" case, but it's kind of a shame if it would have fitted into a 22" case.

Thing is with AAA cases, they're effectively a hard case, not a bag, so they don't mould around the extremities in the same way a bag will if it's a bit snug. I don't have a 22" one here to measure up for you. I do have that size on order, but delivery on these cases is 4 months :(

Superb cases though. That's why we now offer them inclusive as standard with all of our drums.

Thanks for the quick reply, it sound like the 24 is the way to go if I order the Sonor's I'm looking at getting. They'll probably take 4months as well!
I wish this came with English subtitles, but this very enthusiastic chap seems to prove just how sturdy they are...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhCwegiF1nU

Hi Andy,

I've got that list somewhere on my computer. I'll have a look if I can find which file I saved it in. Should be more organised...

If it helps to figure out sizes, I have a Humes & Berg Enduro and it fits my 22" Sonar PL like a glove.

If it helps to figure out sizes, I have a Humes & Berg Enduro and it fits my 22" Sonar PL like a glove.

Those are nice cases as well, I have one for my Joyful Noise drum. What size case did you buy for your 22" PL bass drum?

Back