Sunday gig setup

druid

Silver Member
Pics before an outdoor gig sunday......

5291_1197451688995_1009568919

5291_1197451568992_1009568919_1697181_2115047_n.jpg

5291_1197451648994_1009568919_1697183_5927183_n.jpg

*drools a little*
Wow... very very nice kit... those DW's look tight!
I am also digging the right side remote hi-hat action... i have one too that I use for my primary hi-hat and love kits with them.
is that your ride to the left/above the right-side hat? (between the china and the other cymbal) Its an interesting placement.
Your cymbal angles seem a little extreme to me.. but i like mine almost level and people always think that's weird... but it's my philosophy that angled cymbals like that are harder to hit with the stick edge and hitting with the edge makes the cymbal resonate better... maybe i'm wrong on this...
I really like the way you have your rack set up... 2 racks and the one's arm is inverted back in like that to give you that tier of toms and stuff... very smart.

How long did the setup take?

Again... very nice... i'd love to have a kit that big and beautiful!

EDIT: You should label all the parts 1,2,3, etc. and write up all the specs... i'd love to see that list.

OK basic specs for the DW stuff are:

22" Bass drum
20" Bass drum
Toms in FAST sizes
8"rack
10"rack
12" rack
14"Floor
16"floor
18"floor
Piccolo toms
8"
10"
12"
6x12" snare

Radias are
20"flat ride ( in location you described)
18" crash
18"china
16" crash
10"splash
14" HiHats

2-9000 bass pedals
1 9000 hihat
1 9000 remote hat

2 full racks (DW) 1 half rack ( going underneath for picc toms)

extra stuff in photo
1983 Zildjian new beat hihats
1980s paiste 2000 splash 10"
1900s Zildjian K splash 8"
Sabian 6" splash

12x 5 Pork pie Lil Squeeler ( tuned higher than DW snare)

Ribbon crasher
LP Cyclops

i think that was it ?

for me cymbal angles are not too extreme...I am 6'4" and it's like sitting in a control panel back there.....if I get some actual playing photos I can post em....but honestly everything is really within very nice reach for me.

The radias are darker sounding....very definite quick sounding cymbals.Took around an hour to set it up.....and I was not rushed so I got to fool around with adjusting.....not a set up you would take to a club unless you had room and time but this was for my wife's party and I had plenty of time to dabble that morning.

I played for free...it was my wifes party...and I just had to take the setup outside;-)

No big haul at all.

Personally I love those tom sizes....very adaptable to a variety of styles....I have an old set with power toms which personally I hate....the FAST sizes are great and the maple shells are very warm sounding. I also am a big fan of smaller snares...that 6x12" is extremely versatile.

If it's outside your house, everything can stay on the rack, and you can take it outside with a few people, can't you??

Btw, inside your drum room the kit looks bigger, but it's beautiful though.

Bram

I think Sunday should not be too much work - 4 piece set for me on Sunday when i'm alone and my wife and children are at the coast.

Bernhard

Exactly I was thinking the same thing too much work 4-piece is all for me but that would be a sweet kit too put in my dining or living room kinda like a wrap-around sofa.

BL

If it's outside your house, everything can stay on the rack, and you can take it outside with a few people, can't you??

Btw, inside your drum room the kit looks bigger, but it's beautiful though.

Bram

Everyone always thinks that...but in reality you are better off taking stuff down to avoid dinging anything plus doorways are awkward to navigate with toms and cymbals on the arms. Thanks for the compliments!

Wow, great kit. My back hurts thinking about moving it. Hope the gig went well.

Everyone always thinks that...but in reality you are better off taking stuff down to avoid dinging anything plus doorways are awkward to navigate with toms and cymbals on the arms. Thanks for the compliments!

I guess that's where racks and memory locks help out though... if you just pop your toms off the rack you can just slip them back into place once you get the rack set back up... This is also why i don't compact my boom stands unless i have to... I have also seen the tricks of marking on the gig rug and marking the stnads with a sharpie before tearing down.

Yep the rug is marked for all the footprints...and everything is memory locked etc. In reality you simply would not want to set up a kit this size in a hurry though unless you don't care about your drums. I usually take out my small 4 piece kit which is a beater for stuff like that. But really weight is not something that is bothersome at all....it is more of a time factor. In fact my old Remo drums are heavier by far than the DW's due to the Man made shell versus Maple shell.

Very nice. You can certainly see the Bozzio influence.

Back