Help brady get a new drum kit...

brady

Platinum Member
Or..."Is this worth it?"

Friends and neighbors, I need you to help with a quandry.

You see, my wife said I could get the drum kit of my dreams if I do one simple thing for her. With her, actually.

Her dream is to have a cheesy couple portrait with us in matching flannel shirts and turtlenecks striking lame poses (she readily admits the poses may and will, in fact, be lame.) It doesn't stop there. Said portrait will be prominently displayed in our living room...and...there will be one every year.

I have resisted up to this point. However, a new drum kit was never on the table before.

We have decided to let the members of DW decide this. What would you do? What have any of you done to "earn" a high dollar piece of drum candy?

Hahaha! Come on, what could it hurt? I'd personally come out with lighting gear in hand to shoot it myself!

Musicians are slightly whore-ish, you know. What else is new?

Dooooo it!

Run, don't walk, to the nearest store and buy that matching shirt, and then get to some drum shopping!

I wouldn't do it..

Compromise your principles? Any amount of of cheesiness for the sake of some measly tubs? C'mon Brady, show some backbone!

PS- ( Cant believe you've agreed to the turtleneck! )

Ugh! Turtle necks :p.
BUT! A new drum kit was never on the table, so I may bend a bit.
I say go ahead and do it. If any of your buddies make fun of you about it, just show them your new drum kit and they'll shut right up! LOL

Brady, is there any reason why she wants it to be so cheesy? Have you provided a more stylish option? Have you spelled out the advantages of a portrait in which you are both happy and comfortable?

I don't get it. Why go to the time and expense of having a portrait done with deliberately lame poses? It sounds willful. Wouldn't it make more sense to work out poses that bring out your true characters? Isn't that what a portrait is supposed to do? If not, you could always buy a good camera.

Or is she wanting to make you suffer to show just how much you love her? Does she have a friend who's had a cheesy hubby/wifey portrait done?

If you can't reach a compromise then go through with it and get your dream kit. It's no biggie. Don't pay attention to Abe's idealism; he's probably just having a little episode :p There are no principles involved here unless you want to live as an ascetic. After all, don't all but the luckiest of us do things we dislike doing for money? And isn't this, in the end, about money?

+1 on Pollys post.
Dont think your gonna get a better perspective than that of a female drummer.

For what its worth though, I imagine that at least 50% of the money going into this kit is yours right?.
Well I think that there should be a 50% compromise on the level of cheese that goes into the pictures also. ; )

Do it. You never know. It could be worse, you could have a face like mine!

You have to go like this: my favorite turtle-neck-sporting nerd :-D

Howard-Wolowitz-the-big-bang-theory-16865313-930-1246.jpg

Or is she wanting to make you suffer to show just how much you love her? Does she have a friend who's had a cheesy hubby/wifey portrait done?

After all, don't all but the luckiest of us do things we dislike doing for money? And isn't this, in the end, about money?

It certainly seems like it. Yes, she had a friend years ago that displayed chessy couple pictures just as she has proposed and thought it was the coolest thing.

Your last line contains much truth. Truly, you are a wise woman.

+1 on Pollys post.
Dont think your gonna get a better perspective than that of a female drummer.

For what its worth though, I imagine that at least 50% of the money going into this kit is yours right?.
Well I think that there should be a 50% compromise on the level of cheese that goes into the pictures also. ; )

Yes, Polly is wise beyond her years. That insight is making the decision tougher.

I like the 50/50 compromise idea though. Half the cheese...great idea.

I thought this thread was going to be a donation to paypal for you or something
and I was actually going to donate!

Now I'm disappointed....

are you going to sell your current kit?
BTW what is your current kit?

yeah go for it - I'd wear a dress and makeup
and pose like a retarded ostrich
for a new kit....

if I wanted a new kit that is - it just happens that I am pretty satisfied with the kit I have - although i go through cymbals like nobodies business...haha

I thought this thread was going to be a donation to paypal for you or something
and I was actually going to donate!

Now I'm disappointed....

are you going to sell your current kit?
BTW what is your current kit?

yeah go for it - I'd wear a dress and makeup
and pose like a retarded ostrich
for a new kit....

if I wanted a new kit that is - it just happens that I am pretty satisfied with the kit I have - although i go through cymbals like nobodies business...haha

Far be it from me to turn down a donation if you really had your heart set on it. Minimum donations are $1000. Thanks in advance. ;-)

My wife was afraid the lameness of the pics were being exaggerated. She promises the poses will not be anything to embarass me. I must say that makes the decision a little easier.

BTW, my current kit is a Swingstar. I'll keep it for an extra practice kit or the occasional gig where others may share the kit.

Yes, Polly is wise beyond her years. That insight is making the decision tougher.

I like the 50/50 compromise idea though. Half the cheese...great idea.

Actually, I'm around the age where the young of the tribe bring offerings of dead animals and the like in exchange for the benefits of experience.

Homularis's 50/50 pickup is sharp. And Spectron makes a good point - I'd even consider wearing a dress and makeup too for a photo shoot if it meant getting the ideal instrument upgrade.

Good that it seems the poses won't be embarrassing ... I'm wondering about lemons and lemonade. Any chance you guys could get this thing a bit original, arty and creative?

My guess is your wife's friend has this tacky, schmaltzoid, hyper-sentimental cheese thing and it wasn't the tack that attracted your wife to the idea, but the romance of it all. Thing is, just because most romance is done with bucket-worthy mindlessness, it doesn't necessarily follow that romantic art must be uncreative, cliched and designed to appeal to a Mills and Boon mentality.

The key is honesty. Rather than superimposing your personalities onto a hoary old cliche, as per so many couple portraits do, you can find a way to subtly convey/express what is unique to your relationship within a genre of art that for the most part demands cliche. It's a lot harder to be real, of course, in the same way as it's harder to be honestly expressive in music than it is to pump out stuff that everyone else has done.

She couldn't come up with something more tasteful like you in a tux her in a black dress? Will you have time to get your hair done in a mullet and get the old cars out from in front of the trailer before hand?

What is the drum brand, and are you kidding, a new portrait every year. She is yanking your chain. Time to "nad up"

Back