Ian Paice

" Paice has been a major influence to Lars Ulrich too you know. "

If you have ever read Lars Ulrich's history you would no that unlike most other story's where they say thanks i wouldn't be her if it wasn't for _______ . Lars Means it, if there was no Ian Paice = No Metallica . Lars was a tennis prodigy until his father was given tickets to see deep purple in 1970 after seeing the show Lars quit tennis and got a drum kit. Of coarse anyone that knows Metallica history can tell you. It is all because of Lars. He got a spot on a record before he was in a bad then Found James ( Who brought A Bass player ) Then found Dave. Then Cliff. So in short Thank you Ian for giving me not only your sweet music but also for giving me Metallica.

Does anyone know about a solo dvd that Ian was working on? The Deep Purple web site http://www.deep-purple.com/band/?paice mentions it on his bio page, but no further info.

Anyone have it?

It is called Ian Paice - on the drums/not for the pro`s.. It is a dvd featuring playing, kit update, live takes etc.. I ordered mine yesterday, I cant wait!
here`s a link with some info about the dvd.. Hope it helped..
http://www.deep-purple.net/review-files/ian-paice-dvd/paicedvd.htm

he is an awesome drummer and he's got much respect in my eyes even if im not a huge fan. but as i am playing with 2 friends this song i was really curius if the verse part ian is playing along with notes or he just thinks it that moment ?? right now im playing it keeping time but soloing over it ... im affraid if im wrong. please help me

amazing drummer... my first inspiration...

he plays in with bit of a nervy spontaneousness with that professional confidence in his general image...

I realize that left handed drummers have something unusual in their way of drumming...
I'm left handed too!!!! lol!!

It is called Ian Paice - on the drums/not for the pro`s.. It is a dvd featuring playing, kit update, live takes etc.. I ordered mine yesterday, I cant wait!
here`s a link with some info about the dvd.. Hope it helped..
http://www.deep-purple.net/review-files/ian-paice-dvd/paicedvd.htm

Did you get Not for the Pros, which is listed as an NTSC version or did you get On the drums which is listed as a PAL version and how do you like it/quality/ etc.

Sounds like the web site review that the PAL version is more up to date but i dodnt know if it will play in my sony DVD player

Did you get Not for the Pros, which is listed as an NTSC version or did you get On the drums which is listed as a PAL version and how do you like it/quality/ etc.

Sounds like the web site review that the PAL version is more up to date but i dodnt know if it will play in my sony DVD player

I got not for the pro`s.. I think it had good quality, both sound and pictures.. I can play it on my dvdplayer, computer and xbox360..
I is a good drum dvd, If you a REALLY into Ian Paice style.. There are some good playing, and ALOT of talkning about how his drums are made, cymbals etc.. The cool think I liked was a "roadie view" section where you can se Ian play some songs live with a the camera on the side of him..

I saw Deep Purple with ELP and Dream Theater in the late nineties. I have been a die-hard DT fan since 1990 but I must say Deep Purple stole the show that night. Ian kicks @ss. I even got to meet Steve Morse the next morning in the hotel lobby!!! (he jokingly asked if I was the I.R.S.)

My favorite drummer and the reason I drum. In addition to all the above, another must have is the Fireball 25th Anniversary Edition album. "Slow Train" is one of my favorite tracks on there.
Seconded. The '1st take' of Fireball is a bit of a 'work in progress', but there's still some jaw dropping fills in it.

Have you heard In Rock 25th Anniversary? The outtake of Speed King when he smashes one of the drums mics.

Ian Paice is amazing. I love his playing with deep purple. He is one of my idols aslo because he is one of the first to use a left-handed drum set. Thats how i reolized that i could play with my kit like him since im left-handed. I say he is the buddy rich of rock because he is strong on the snare. Thats what i think.

Seconded. The '1st take' of Fireball is a bit of a 'work in progress', but there's still some jaw dropping fills in it.

Have you heard In Rock 25th Anniversary? The outtake of Speed King when he smashes one of the drums mics.

Ian's fills have amazed me since I first got into DP (about 20 years ago). That take of Fireball is a fine example of his virtousity and real-time syncopation skills.

I don't own that edition of "In Rock" but I'm tempted to go get a copy immediately - yummy...

Ian is a really nice guy and one of the greats for sure!
He was nice enough to talk about his foot technique on that old Mule solo where it goes from slow singles to real fast too.

His feel on the kit is real smooth and a lot lighter than he looks like he's playing (and what it sounds like).
To me, he's like the Joe Morello of rock.

He used one pair of sticks for the whole show, which say's something about having good technique.
His speed and power are still there that's for sure.

I have the "Not for the Pro's" DVD and I really like it.

I'd recommend it to any Ian fan, it's worth the money.

The DVD's of Ian with Chad Smith are cool too.

Here are a few pics I took last summer.

IPKit.jpg

PaiceAction.jpg

IPdrumming.jpg

PaicePurpleLight.jpg

IanPaiceGrip.jpg

Great pics Karl. Thanks for posting them. My thoughts exactly on the DVD. His teaching style is really laid back and he covers some fundamentals (although not too intricate) that are the foundation for rock drumming.

Does anyone know if Ian was playing Pearls for the Perfect Strangers album? Has he always used a 14x6.5?

I love the sound of his snare on Machine Head album...I'm guessing it's the mighty Supraphonic.

Some time ago, I was told that Ian still uses his old Ludwigs for recording. Naturally this was NOT from Ian himself so I can't be 100% sure if that is the case.

What's the difference between the two DVDs?

Ian Paice: On the Drums (I've got that) & Ian Paice: Not for Pros. (Thinking of getting).

Anyone seen both? (Karl.......Nice pics)

I don't have the On The Drums, but I have Not For The Pro's.

NFTP's is worth the money, and it's not a "one watch, put it away for a year till you forget about it and have nothing else to do before you put it on again" DVD.

The MD Chad/Ian, and the London Drum Co. Ian/Chad DVD's are pretty good too.
They are kind of the same, but there's enough differences (for me at least) to justify buying both.

BTW, if you get the London drum DVD, my friend is Ian's tech, and the section where they go through Ian's kit is a joke, and he really can pronounce "Paiste" and does know drums...even though it's not apparent. It's a very funny section to me though.

He was Bun E. Carlos' tech some years ago when we first met.

I've got the Chad/Ian DVD & On the Drums which I'm happy with. On the Drums includes a factory tour etc. so sounds as if it overlaps the Not for the Pros I think I stick with just the two that I already have.

Thanks a lot Karl.

On the Ian Paice DVD "On the Drums" the introduction says IP played with Joe Satriani.

Was this recorded?
Is it on disc?
Anyone know?

Back