Is there a greater pleasure in life than getting a new drum kit ??

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Picked up my new Gretsch Catalina Club Mod kit on Tuesday and rehearsed with it straight away Tuesday night.

It's such a thing of beauty. And the bass drum (22x20) just blew the band and I away...it sounds so wonderful.

Never been more excited about drums in my life.

Have one of them myself, although I modified the snot out of it. The kick is a fricken beast...no two ways about it.

What finish did you get?

Maybe the only thing better than getting a new kit is getting that new kit into the perfect room, not so big the sound gets lost but big enough to liven it up - I had that the other day with my new(ish) kit and I was just DELERIOUS, it was so great... Just hitting a drum on its own was a pleasure.

Have one of them myself, although I modified the snot out of it. The kick is a fricken beast...no two ways about it.

What finish did you get?

The silver one with black ring.
It's immense...it produces such a thunderous noise. Never thought it possible off a standard drum diameter.
The snare's a thing of beauty to.
Small toms (12/14) but sound a lot cleaner and polished than my old 13/16 toms.
Like an excited child on Christmas day at the thought of playing them next rehearsal/gig.

No, no there is not.

Enjoy your new kit!!

I think you got it spot on. That's awesome. How about some pictures!

- Reggae Mangle

I'm waiting on my new Saturn IV's. I ordered the Exotic natural ash burl with the 10,12,14,16 and 22x18. Putting a Black Panther Phat Bob snare with it. Have AAX 14" stage hats, 16" Paragon crash, 16" & 18" HHX evolution crashes, 21" HHX stage ride, 10" Paragon crash and looking to add a 22" Paragon ride. Yeah I'm excited but drums won't be ready until sometime late August to mid September

I started on drums 30 years ago and have had a couple kits last few years but divorce took those away : (. Started playing guitar and played ever since but just recently traded in a Marshall JVM410 stack, a '61 reissue Gibson SG and an ESP MII for that setup. Drums is my first love and can't wait to get back to beating the skins on a regular basis. BTW I'm new to this forum but won't be a stranger from here on out!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new arrival - I wish you many years of happiness!

Will post some pictures as soon as I have some that do justice...can't promise they'll have you all salivating compared to some kits I've seen on here.

But they are belting.

I've named them Gordon...Gordon the Gretsch...because the bass drum sounds ANGRYYYYY

Will post some pictures as soon as I have some that do justice...can't promise they'll have you all salivating compared to some kits I've seen on here.

But they are belting.

I've named them Gordon...Gordon the Gretsch...because the bass drum sounds ANGRYYYYY

Yay, another kit with a name!

Oh, you just had to ruin it didn't you!

Ok, I concede, It's a fair match, but which one represents the most bangs for your buck? ;) ;) ;)

:O And I thought you were such a nice man!!

The silver one with black ring.
It's immense...it produces such a thunderous noise. Never thought it possible off a standard drum diameter.
The snare's a thing of beauty to.
Small toms (12/14) but sound a lot cleaner and polished than my old 13/16 toms.
Like an excited child on Christmas day at the thought of playing them next rehearsal/gig.

Cool! Mine was the red sparkle with the black stripe. I did remove the wrap though, and lacquered the interiors. I wanted them louder and that's what I got.

I didn't know they offered a 14 inch floor tom. Mine's a 16 inch that growls like a bloody 200 pound Rottweiler.

I know it's all new to you but you might want to check out this link:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105928&highlight=catalina+club+mod

I modified the hang tom and boy did it open it right up.

Enjoy those things man, I know I do!

Back