New "quiet" drum kit !

Where are you located at BruceW? I just put a set on one of my kits (along with Ddrum triggers).

Hi... I'm a bit off the beaten path, Bangor, Maine. :)

There are a couple of fantastic drum shops available to me, one in Portland (2ish hours drive) and one in Portsmouth, NH (2.5-3 hours drive) away. My local music store has had the low volume Sabians before, I haven't checked recently. Pretty sure there won't be anything with those heads near me either.

Hi... I'm a bit off the beaten path, Bangor, Maine. :)

There are a couple of fantastic drum shops available to me, one in Portland (2ish hours drive) and one in Portsmouth, NH (2.5-3 hours drive) away. My local music store has had the low volume Sabians before, I haven't checked recently. Pretty sure there won't be anything with those heads near me either.

I'm in central PA. Not quite close enough neighbors for you to stop by and try mine out.

For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern? I have a couple of gig venues where I have to really work on keeping it down, and I'd love to not have that as a concern.
The heads are not. The hihat and ride could be used, but they won't sound very good.

I decided to change out the ported reso head on the kick drum to see if I would have more contol over tuning, and it worked! On the previous head, the (4") port allowed too much air to escape and caused annoying overtones from the 26" shell. I could not get any real definition, but now that the head is solid, I can get the head to tune to any note within range. Lots of fun stuff to practice! :-D

For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern? I have a couple of gig venues where I have to really work on keeping it down, and I'd love to not have that as a concern.

(yes, I'd love to go try them for myself...nearest location that might stock them is at least a 2.5 hour drive away)

As earlier posted, the heads will only work if you put triggers on the drums. They really are quiet. The best analogy I can give you is like the slight 'boing' you might hear bouncing a tennis ball on a tennis racket. They barely push enough air for the bottom heads to activate.

The L80 cymbals don't project enough tone to be playable without (again) triggers. They are similar to the gen16 cymbals without the trigger component. You might instead look at Sabian's FRX line, which are made to cut out some of the higher-pitch frequencies that make cymbals overpowering.

I've found single-ply heads and practice, practice, practice are the best recipe for low volume playing.

For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern?

NO!!!

They feel decent, that's all.

I have no doubt that someone will eventually use them as an effect, a stack or use the hats for something, though.

..For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern?..

In my opinion that depends on what you consider 'suitable'..

But, basically on a very low volume gig, even playing only on a wooden chair with a pair of brushes can be suitable..

Everything has sound (a wooden chair has actually quite a few) and you can decide yourself if those sounds are 'suitable' or not....

I decided to change out the ported reso head on the kick drum to see if I would have more contol over tuning, and it worked! On the previous head, the (4") port allowed too much air to escape and caused annoying overtones from the 26" shell. I could not get any real definition, but now that the head is solid, I can get the head to tune to any note within range. Lots of fun stuff to practice! :-D

Interesting! Thanks for posting this. I'll try the same on my 22".

Back