The right tools for the job.

Yep didn’t he have an “A” and “B” kit of the same configuration?

Yes, but everyone wanted the A kit as it was supposed to be better, so they were both A kits. ;-)

I play exclusively four-piece. That said, I rarely even use the floor tom. There, I said it.

I play exclusively four-piece. That said, I rarely even use the floor tom. There, I said it.

I've never said it and through the years I'd always have more drums in a set than I'd end up using. I should just come out and say it. I exclusively play a four-piece. There. Now I said it.

But it's not because I'm some kind of jazz snob - I just play better with less choices. My entire life I always thought I'd get a gig where I needed all that stuff - like when you see Steve Gadd with his four toms, or Vinnie Colaiuta with at least six drums - or remember back in the 80s when every double bass kit had the two rack toms in the middle and the two floor toms? Sadly, those gigs never happened. I'm always squeezing my kit into a space where the band was an afterthought - or at least the drums were. So I just learned how to play four-pieces really well because that's all I could ever use on a regular basis.

This is why I always say I just sound stupid on more than four drums ;)

It seems I use the floor more than the mounted tom. I even at times forego the mounted tom all together. I'd feel horribly lop sided with out a floor though.

I've basically settled on a 4 piece but my accessory gadgets have grown to a cow bell, wood block, Zil-Bell, cup chime, tambourine and crotale.

I've never said it and through the years I'd always have more drums in a set than I'd end up using. I should just come out and say it. I exclusively play a four-piece. There. Now I said it.

But it's not because I'm some kind of jazz snob - I just play better with less choices. My entire life I always thought I'd get a gig where I needed all that stuff - like when you see Steve Gadd with his four toms, or Vinnie Colaiuta with at least six drums - or remember back in the 80s when every double bass kit had the two rack toms in the middle and the two floor toms? Sadly, those gigs never happened. I'm always squeezing my kit into a space where the band was an afterthought - or at least the drums were. So I just learned how to play four-pieces really well because that's all I could ever use on a regular basis.

This is why I always say I just sound stupid on more than four drums ;)

Ha, hey, Bo. When I said, 'There I said it,' I was making fun of myself for having a four piece set-up but hardly ever using the floor tom. I always bring the damn thing, though! There was a time back in the summer, where I had to use a backline kit that had no rack tom (!), so I was forced to use the floor tom more than I had in a while. It felt kind of cool, actually.

Great thread. As I play standing up in my rockabilly gigs, I can only use what I can play with 2 hands & one foot.
For the other shows, a 4 piece lit is all I need. If I can't serve the song with just that, then I need to rethink the part.
The days of me dragging a Neil Peart sized kit to every show are long gone.

I use a 4 piece in one band. I use 5 in the other.

I used to have a 10 piece kit and it made me play some really over the top fills. My 5 piece kit actualy has 5 toms but i just switch them out from time to time. like the 14 for 16,,, or 8/10 for 10/12

Going to a 4 piece has actualy made me a better drummer. I had to get a bit more creative with my fills, I use the hats more in my fills now.. You can't do the "around the world" circle fill...

I have seen guys shred on kick hats and snare that could blow away most dudes with all the drums in the world.. it's how you play, it's never the kit.

yeah ok i believe youse.

Attachments

• 44959199_10218318166406432_554643344936927232_n.jpg
    44959199_10218318166406432_554643344936927232_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 64
I learned on a 5-piece. I can play 4, or more than 5, just fine, but with moments of discomfort- certain rolls around the toms are awkward without the middle tom (but if I'm playing a meat & potatoes 2 & 4 gig, it's fine), and large kits are just too much to lug around, and often don't fit in the places I play (if I played enormo-domes and had roadies, fine). I stick to my tried-and-true 5 piece w/hats, ride, & 2 crashes core that I'm comfortable with, and add stuff as needed (side snare/timbale, splash, china, cowbell, tambourine, and occasionally a pair of bongos [that I don't even mount- I just set them on my nested drum bags that I have beside me as a sort of accessory table]). I've never needed more, but I legitimately use all that I have, without forcing any of it. I'm considering a pad & module to use for percussion sounds, but being that I don't have a lot of it, it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Back