DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear

Drum Gear Reviews and Discussions of Drums - Pedals - Cymbals - Sticks - Heads - Electronic Drums

Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Question on Sonor Phonics?

I just picked up this Sonor kit with a 14X24 BD.16X16 FT, and 9X12 RT, and it looks to be a phonic based on the badges, but I'm wondering what else I should know about these. The shells are in great shape and the hardware looks to need just some steel wool and polishing. The wrap is a bit rough and some parts appear to be non-original. Dating them seems to be tough as the numbers stamped in the shells aren't consistent. Any additional knowledge or input would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question on Sonor Phonics?

They're great drums. I have a 12/14/18 set in black. That's an Andy Newmark-type set there-- 12/16/24. That 24 should be an absolute monster. Those look like later 80s-90s vintage. Check out sonor museum's drum identifier to confirm that they're phonics. You should be able to tell by shell thickness and bearing edge. Great rock and r&b set there.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 PM

Thanks, Todd. I didn't know Andy Newmark played those. Definitely dig his groove. Based on the Sonor Museum, they appear to be from the 1980s, but the specific date seems harder to confirm.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:34 AM

The ink stamps inside the shells identify the date of manufacture. For 3 digit codes, the first digit of the stamp is the last digit of the year and the last two digits of the stamp are the month. Given late 80s...

510 = 1985-10 (Oct 1985)
808 = 1988-08 (Aug 1988)
And something similar for your 3rd drum.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G View Post
Thanks, Todd. I didn't know Andy Newmark played those. Definitely dig his groove. Based on the Sonor Museum, they appear to be from the 1980s, but the specific date seems harder to confirm.
Oh, I just meant the sizes!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:51 PM

I own many Sonor drums including several Phonic kits. They are exceptional drums (even though they are on the heavy side) and your kit will sound fantastic.

It looks like the tom post, arm and of course the RIM are not original. Has the original tom mount receiver been removed to make room for the RIM? Also, you should use the correct Sonor drum key on the slotted tension rods. Don't use a standard screwdriver.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

That's weird. That kit is still on my local Craigslist. The ad was just renewed today. Are you the original seller? Or did you buy it, and then decide to sell it using the same pictures?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryabko View Post
I own many Sonor drums including several Phonic kits. They are exceptional drums (even though they are on the heavy side) and your kit will sound fantastic.

It looks like the tom post, arm and of course the RIM are not original. Has the original tom mount receiver been removed to make room for the RIM? Also, you should use the correct Sonor drum key on the slotted tension rods. Don't use a standard screwdriver.

It has been removed. It came with the original slot tuning key, so we're good there. But they are super heavy. I bought them in a package deal, but I'm leaning towards selling them and sticking with my Yamaha Rock Tours.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
That's weird. That kit is still on my local Craigslist. The ad was just renewed today. Are you the original seller? Or did you buy it, and then decide to sell it using the same pictures?

That's my ad and my pictures. I bought them in a package deal that netted me a bunch of other gear. The weight of the shells is why I'm leaning towards selling them.I have a set of Yamaha Rock Tours that sound great and are way lighter. Like Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon, "I'm getting to old for this shit" for lugging around heavy gear. I posted here to gather info so that I could be as accurate as possible on the fine points.