DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:19 AM

Default How many trigger your drums live?

Just curious. I could see the advantage if you in a multi band situation and have to set up, play and tear down in a hurry. I figure most modern recordings have a trigger acoustic blend (if they are not using drum machines etc).
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 AM

Default Re: How many trigger your drums live?

I trigger my kicks when I play. I play metal and it's fairly normal to have triggered kicks. It doesn't make playing anything easier, because all your mistakes will be obvious to everyone in the room.
It may be easier to get the kick tone set live, but honestly I've been triggering my kicks for almost 20 years, and I don't remember a huge difference sound checking with a Mic or triggers. I don't have to get the levels for my second kick with triggers, so that's a plus.

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 08-13-2018, 05:31 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've been using electronics onstage since 1985, and started playing samples (sfx, claps, etc) in 1987, but have never triggered or had a layered drum sound live. Although, I would be the ideal candidate for needing different sounds on each song, I've just never gone there. I leave patch changes to the bass, guitar & keys.

Bermuda
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I've been using electronics onstage since 1985, and started playing samples (sfx, claps, etc) in 1987, but have never triggered or had a layered drum sound live. Although, I would be the ideal candidate for needing different sounds on each song, I've just never gone there. I leave patch changes to the bass, guitar & keys.

Bermuda
Same here! Never triggered/layered but I do play either a full Roland V-drums kit or with my acoustic, use a SPD-30 Octapad for the sfx claps etc.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:19 AM

I don't use triggers (but I just bought a couple of them to play around with) Usually I'll have some electronic pads alongside my acoustic kit, depending on the gig/band.