DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Interesting Snare Tuning Method

https://youtu.be/ht2JgVdHQdw

Watch as Frank Zappa's doppelganger manipulates his snare sound using a wacky tuning method. Interesting, yes. For me, no. However I'm sure some folks might find this useful.

Tighten the bottom head to death!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Interesting Snare Tuning Method

Been posted about 100 times.. i personally think his snares sound horrible and just dead when done. might as well just gel them to death.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
Been posted about 100 times.. i personally think his snares sound horrible and just dead when done. might as well just gel them to death.
Too many tuning vids to have gone through them all. I agree, I don't like the end result either, but some seem to like that dead sound. I prefer ringy as hell myself.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

I got a buddy who uses this method... He loves it.

If you tune your snare, and detune the lug closest to you obviously the resonance and overtones will go away. he is compensating by adding tension to the other side.

if you turn up the 4 side lugs or down obviously its going to change the note of the drum higher or lower.

With proper snare choice, and proper heads for that snare I try and keep my drums in TUNE. Add a 1/4 or 1/2 of gel if you want less over tones. heck. add 2 gels.

You can always remove overtones but you can't add them back in if you rip em away. Also, if you want to start damaging your drum and snapping lugs this is a great way to do so. (ask my buddy)

I have detuned a lug in a quick situation to get a fatter sound but its very uncommon. If I can give any advice it is to try it. I didn't get good at tuning by watching videos and not trying anything. I own a tune bot, a drum dial, and have watched every youtube video, read every forum post and it still took me a long time.. Wreck some heads, try tigheter reso heads, tighter batters, clears, coated, single ply, dual ply, and ONE day it clicks in that you will find out the best way to tune for YOUR sound.

We all picture a snare drum sound different in my head so when I tell you what is right to me it may not be the same to you.