Can You Identify this drummer?

ghostofzuul

Please?

Years ago, probably over 20 now, I saw John Mclaughlin play and his drummer was this indian or sri lankan dude who played his kit from his knees. Dude was sick... Over the years I've forgotten his name.... although I've talked to other people who knew immediately who I was refering to. Anyone know who I'm talking about? I know he played with other people besides Mclaughlin as well and was fairly well known at the time...

Thanks...

Tabla player maybe? I can't think of anyone who has played a kit on their knees. Tablas are played while sitting down, maybe on knees too. But the group which you are referring to just might be Shakti. The tabla player is Zakir Hussain.

Tabla player maybe? I can't think of anyone who has played a kit on their knees. Tablas are played while sitting down, maybe on knees too. But the group which you are referring to just might be Shakti. The tabla player is Zakir Hussain.

as mentioned below... dude's name is Trilok Gurtu and he has a whole "kit" he plays on his knees (and standing up sometimes).

to wit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=922LumI2ilo

Back